What's new

Sinestro VS MMH Matchup Tips

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Sinestro's footsies are superior. As for his projectiles, try to use them more as footsie tools than lockdown. You can check Martian's zoning with reversal fear blast(or shackles)which is safe anywhere but fullscreen. Bait MMH with trait. Punish OH tele. Vortex, vortex, vortex. Patience. Basic guideline on how to play the MU.

One thing I feel Martian struggles with is a jumpy Sinestro. Outside of trait, Martian doesn't have a reliable anti air to deal with it up close. After a blocked J3/Air axe it's risky for MMH to counter poke giving you with a solid mindgame.
Sinestro's footsies are in no way superior to Martian's. With trait Martian outfootsies Sinestro and even without it, orbs shut down Sinestro at mid range. Martian's D2 actually is a good AA and even without it he has superior jump normals that almost always beat out Sinestro's. This MU needs to be played either at full screen or at close range in order for Sinestro to win. At full screen Martian can't do much besides teleport or try using his projectiles, which allows Sinestro to charge the trait. Charging trait is a risk but it needs to be done to force Martian to commit to stopping it, which is when Sinestro is able to make reads and start the vortex. This MU is a minimum of 4-6.

i am totally agree with wound, no way that sinestro´s footsies are superior to martian´s. But if i am full screen, MMH can do Instant Air Teleport to counter lemons or even shackles, i try to do charge trait cancel in armor b3 in reaction to teleport, but its really risky.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
Sinestro's footsies are in no way superior to Martian's. With trait Martian outfootsies Sinestro and even without it, orbs shut down Sinestro at mid range. Martian's D2 actually is a good AA and even without it he has superior jump normals that almost always beat out Sinestro's. This MU needs to be played either at full screen or at close range in order for Sinestro to win. At full screen Martian can't do much besides teleport or try using his projectiles, which allows Sinestro to charge the trait. Charging trait is a risk but it needs to be done to force Martian to commit to stopping it, which is when Sinestro is able to make reads and start the vortex. This MU is a minimum of 4-6.
Traited MMH has slightly more range than any of Sinestro's normals with only S3, I think. I feel like because Martian needs his trait just to be on equal footing with Sinestro means he generally loses in the footsies department. Orbs bait movement, sure, but your walkspeed is good and have plenty of options to avoid it.

I can't D2 axe special and maybe a crossup j3, but it's not like I'm gonna take the huge risk if you just decide to axe me. Until I find a way to deal with that BS this MU is a minimum 4-6 Sinestro's favor. Possibly 3-7 territory cos your wakeup J2 is gdlk.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Traited MMH has slightly more range than any of Sinestro's normals with only S3, I think. I feel like because Martian needs his trait just to be on equal footing with Sinestro means he generally loses in the footsies department. Orbs bait movement, sure, but your walkspeed is good and have plenty of options to avoid it.

I can't D2 axe special and maybe a crossup j3, but it's not like I'm gonna take the huge risk if you just decide to axe me. Until I find a way to deal with that BS this MU is a minimum 4-6 Sinestro's favor. Possibly 3-7 territory cos your wakeup J2 is gdlk.
There is no chance that this match is in Sinestro's favor. With trait, Martian can always AA Sinestro's axe and jump attacks with D2, and if not, Stand 3 always works. Martian's traited 2,2 string has almost as much range as Sinestro's b12 and it is faster and can lead into + frames. How is Sinestro's mobility relevant? Martian can place an orb directly on him which makes the walk speed not matter.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
There is no chance that this match is in Sinestro's favor. With trait, Martian can always AA Sinestro's axe and jump attacks with D2, and if not, Stand 3 always works. Martian's traited 2,2 string has almost as much range as Sinestro's b12 and it is faster and can lead into + frames. How is Sinestro's mobility relevant? Martian can place an orb directly on him which makes the walk speed not matter.
I wasn't being serious throwing out those numbers. I'm only salty that I can't find a reliable (non-traited) answer to Sinestro's hops. I agree, MU is in no way your favor.

Well, even after MB orb I'd have to dash up and you can just poke out of any 50/50s. Martian doesn't always have trait.

I don't think Martian has any particular advantages besides his ability to counterzone/orbs in neutral and Sinestro holding my mixups on KD. Maybe it's an online thing that's making me think 6-4 at worst. I can't see it being 7-3 the way our sets go. WU j2, though...

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Well done Ninequads
Ok here are some notes I have overall i think you played very well

at:58 you had chance to charge trait same goes for 1:33 You would hit him with a schackles then mb boulder which is gud, but then you would mb fear blast and your combo is already scaled bcuz of schackles so I don't recommend spending another bar, a trait charge after mb boulder would of built you a good amount of trait. I think there was a few times where this happened.

I saw you use b23 a lot and in the corner you would do b23 b23 schackles. b23,112,Traitcharge,d1,112 should do more damage also, b23,nj1,airaxe,112,schackles etc should also do more damage.

The reason I dont like b23 is because its kind of a momentum killer. B2 is Zero on block and B21(Overhead,Low) is -3. Once your opponent gets familiar with b23 theyll start to block it, that's why i feel you should start looking into using b2 and b21 specially in the corner you can combo off it. And anywhere on the screen with trait.

I also saw you using b1,trait tap, into mixup. Your opp caught on and d1 you at i believe 3:53 in GF. f2 leaves you with way more advantage for example j2,f2,then you can go for a mixup more effective in the corner.

If you want to check out some of my matches I play quite a few here

There is also plenty more if you look on the BLTB channel.

Last edited:

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
@Firebomber here goes my review of your match with the mmh guy you faced. One of the things that jumped out at me was that early on you would ALWAYS jump post OH-tele. Granted, you got away with it unpunished, but I would advise against doing at the rate you were doing it at. The mmh player should've adapted and anti-aired you with trait d2 or st.3(?) or backdashed to avoid the air axe altogether. I would mix it up post OH-tele with a combination of jump ins, b12, or dash in 22, f2d13, or b21. Next was the lack of trait charging. You seem like more of a rushdown type of guy and I get that, but Sinestro becomes the best character in the game when he has trait. Especially against mmh, trait is a HUGE momentum swing in your favor. Once you get trait out you can do whatever you want to with basically no consequence. Just the threat of trait will freeze opponents in there tracks and make them think twice about anything they do. There were many times you could've charged a good portion of your trait up and you didn't and opted to rushdown your opponent. I think that trait is too important to let an opportunity like that to pass up. Another thing I want to point out is your mixup options midscreen. A majority of the time you would dash up and either do b2 or ia air-axe. This isn't bad, but I would use a variety of mixups to keep your opponent constantly on their toes (which is what I saw more of in the 2nd video). You could go for the traditional vortex of air axe or j3. I would also advise to maybe throw a grab into your bag of mixups when you do ji2 dash-up just to keep your opponent honest. You could have got much more optimal damage off of b23 in the corner. I believe @Ninequads listed potential combos above, so take a look into those. Another thing, you sometimes were punished for not respecting the frame disadvantage of air-axe at almost max height. A low air-axe will be plus (I think) and allow you a free poke, but at/close to its max height you will be left at disadvantage. A couple of times you did b13 j3 to combo. I would do b13 j2 into some sort of combo, as it is much easier to link if the person is jumping when b13 hits them. Overall I would say there is room for improvement (especially in terms of getting trait out) but you are a good player and your sinestro has good potential. Once you learn to fully optimize what this character can do you'll be winning against that mmh player in grand finals but I'm liking what your sinestro has so far. Thanks for sharing the video it was nice to see some gameplay :)

AK Stormthegates

WOOLAY!!!!
I'm starting to MBB3 after he does a jump normal if i think he is going to axe me. I just hold it for a sec to wait for him to drop. There seems to be a huge gap between the normal and axe so i have all the time in the world to do anything lol.

thanks guys i will optimize my combos, specially corner, sometimes i do IA Air Axe, but some times i like to do air axe max height because as max height my opponent may think that i will crossup, the same using j2, dash and air axe. I always use trait i think sinestro´s trait is the one of the best in the game, but specially in this MU i rather to rushdown, i will take my time to charge trait during shackles.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
@Firebomber really enjoyed ur matches dude,I think u play the match up pretty well and tbh I can't really offer any advice because I think everythings already been answered.the only time I'm screamed at the screen was when u hit mb boulder and didn't charge trait,hitting that gives u about half of the trait bar.

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
@Firebomber really enjoyed ur matches dude,I think u play the match up pretty well and tbh I can't really offer any advice because I think everythings already been answered.the only time I'm screamed at the screen was when u hit mb boulder and didn't charge trait,hitting that gives u about half of the trait bar.

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
thanks bro i am now understanding how important the trait is, i will focus my combos and set up to charge the trait
I think there was also times when you hit him with an anti-air mb fear blast and could of charged trait or comboed in schackles then charge trait