What's new

Strategy Sinestro Corner Vortex

NKZero

Noob
First off I want to give a massive shout-out to the whole Sinestro forum. This character forum has everything you need, and everyone's working hard to come up with tech. I'm really enjoying this character atm so thanks to JHCrane, P2W, Pig, Vulcan Hades, legion etc etc. (sorry if I missed anyone out).

Anyways this is very much similar to the trait less vortexes as demonstrated in videos recently; revolving around the j+2 concept.

In the corner, say I do a the following combo: B2--d+1--d+1--d+1--d+1--1, 1, 2--shackles--j+2. Now as explained by others, j+2 gives a lot of hit stun. Now what you do is you do a jump forward j+1 just as the opponent is recovering from j+2 (so delay it a little) and do j+1--axe of terror.

The j+1 crosses up but the axe of terror must be blocked the other way. So first the opponent must reverse inputs to block the cross-up j+1, but then block the original way again for the axe of terror. When they get used to that, you can simply j+1 into a string and you have a mix-up because they don't know which way to block once they respect the axe of terror.

If you catch them with j+1--axe of terror, you continue as follows: j+1--axe of terror--b+1--shackles. Then you can do neutral j+2 again to repeat the vortex situation, or you can finish a corner combo. If you do j+1 into string and get a combo, you take them away from the corner, but you may be able to fish for mid-screen vortexes regarding j+2.

As I said earlier, this is nearly identical to the mid-screen set-up with the cross-up j+1, but the specific j+1--axe of terror thing won't work mid-screen in the same way because the axe of terror hits the same side as the cross up j+1. So it's a slight modification in the corner, where the axe of terror actually hits on the reverse side of the cross-up i.e. original side.

Wish I had a video to show but I don't do that shit lol. Lemme know if this is viable in any way.

NEW: Guys I've just been practising some more and I have consistently managed to do axe of terror on the other side as well i.e. cross-up side. What this means is that the vortex can keep the opponent in the corner permanently should he guess wrong. All you do is reverse the inputs of the axe of terror and time it really quickly after j+1 so that he does it from the cross-up side, but then you b+1--shackles and it still keeps him in the corner.

I wish I could video because this shit is hard to describe with words, but hopefully you guys understand what I'm getting at. If someone could make a video I'd appreciate it tremendously :).

At this rate everyone in this fucking game will have a vortex lol

nope! it requires moves that create extreme adv situations. like frost and ice grab, sinestro and shackles, batgirl and the smoke bomb, scorp and spear.... so far they are the only ones who can create this situations as far as i know

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
nope! it requires moves that create extreme adv situations. like frost and ice grab, sinestro and shackles, batgirl and the smoke bomb, scorp and spear.... so far they are the only ones who can create this situations as far as i know
I know lol... but it just seems that every time I log on there is a new thread that has vortex in the name that some character has lol

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
First off I want to give a massive shout-out to the whole Sinestro forum. This character forum has everything you need, and everyone's working hard to come up with tech. I'm really enjoying this character atm so thanks to JHCrane, P2W, Pig, Vulcan Hades, legion etc etc. (sorry if I missed anyone out).

Anyways this is very much similar to the trait less vortexes as demonstrated in videos recently; revolving around the j+2 concept.

In the corner, say I do a the following combo: B2--d+1--d+1--d+1--d+1--1, 1, 2--shackles--j+2. Now as explained by others, j+2 gives a lot of hit stun. Now what you do is you do a jump forward j+1 just as the opponent is recovering from j+2 (so delay it a little) and do j+1--axe of terror.

The j+1 crosses up but the axe of terror must be blocked the other way. So first the opponent must reverse inputs to block the cross-up j+1, but then block the original way again for the axe of terror. When they get used to that, you can simply j+1 into a string and you have a mix-up because they don't know which way to block once they respect the axe of terror.

If you catch them with j+1--axe of terror, you continue as follows: j+1--axe of terror--b+1--shackles. Then you can do neutral j+2 again to repeat the vortex situation, or you can finish a corner combo. If you do j+1 into string and get a combo, you take them away from the corner, but you may be able to fish for mid-screen vortexes regarding j+2.

As I said earlier, this is nearly identical to the mid-screen set-up with the cross-up j+1, but the specific j+1--axe of terror thing won't work mid-screen in the same way because the axe of terror hits the same side as the cross up j+1. So it's a slight modification in the corner, where the axe of terror actually hits on the reverse side of the cross-up i.e. original side.

Wish I had a video to show but I don't do that shit lol. Lemme know if this is viable in any way.
I am taking this to the lab right now....great work NKZero.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

This is extremely cool

I will try this out whenever I get my Internet connection back

***power lines down due to tornado weather

Nice tech. I was wondering what Sinestro could do in the corner to mixup. This sound pretty good. :)

Sinestro getting closer and closer to Zod tier!

insignis

Noob
doesn't work for me( set dummy to do that and axe of terror hits from the same direction. I guess I'm doing something wrong...

NKZero

Noob
doesn't work for me( set dummy to do that and axe of terror hits from the same direction. I guess I'm doing something wrong...
so u are crossing up j+1, and the axe of terror hits from the cross-up side? Does Sinestro land on the cross-up side? I think it may be a timing issue. You delay the j+1 a little but immediately input axe of terror after j+1. He should hit back from the original side and still have the opponent in the corner.

Btw is there a way to get the computer to block on one side only? I tested this with a person so I dunno much about the training mode tbh...

insignis

Noob
so u are crossing up j+1, and the axe of terror hits from the cross-up side? Does Sinestro land on the cross-up side? I think it may be a timing issue. You delay the j+1 a little but immediately input axe of terror after j+1. He should hit back from the original side and still have the opponent in the corner.

Btw is there a way to get the computer to block on one side only? I tested this with a person so I dunno much about the training mode tbh...
I recorded moves and set dummy to repeat'em. So I was in the corner, dummy hits me with j2 and performs cross up with j1~axe of terror. I block cross up as I should and axe is blocked either.

NKZero

Noob
I recorded moves and set dummy to repeat'em. So I was in the corner, dummy hits me with j2 and performs cross up with j1~axe of terror. I block cross up as I should and axe is blocked either.
When Sinestro hits axe of terror which side does he land on. Because it is possible to get j+1--axe of terror on the same cross-up side, but I got it where Sinestro lands back on the original side so you have to block the opposite way again. I'll test it again.

insignis

Noob
When Sinestro hits axe of terror which side does he land on. Because it is possible to get j+1--axe of terror on the same cross-up side, but I got it where Sinestro lands back on the original side so you have to block the opposite way again. I'll test it again.
I see now.I land on the opposite side...cant wait to see video to see how to do it right:)

To help with this confusing explanation ive drawn an ASCII picture of what is happening
#^%$%^#
#@$%$@#
%$&$%#@@
I hope this helps.....

just giving you a hard time.... I wish I understood, ive been trying in training and its just not working for me

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
This shit is nice. Very legit. Good shit man. Also, instead of AoT, B+1~Shackles, you can also do AoT, 3~Shackles for more damage. If he has full Trait out, one wrong guess on the crossup can lead to 50%+.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I just found another corner vortex, but it requires trait.

Do any combo in the corner and after the shackles end the combo in jip2~22. This leaves the opponent standing and Sinestro at +10. With trait, Sinestro can combo off his sweep, so after the standing reset Sinestro gets a 50/50 between sweep and b2. Both of these combos lead into another standing reset and a repeat of the scenario.

@AK Pig Of The Hut
@legion666
@JHCRANE 14
@PLAYING TO W1N
@Vulcan Hades
NKZero

NKZero

Noob
I just found another corner vortex, but it requires trait.

Do any combo in the corner and after the shackles end the combo in jip2~22. This leaves the opponent standing and Sinestro at +10. With trait, Sinestro can combo off his sweep, so after the standing reset Sinestro gets a 50/50 between sweep and b2. Both of these combos lead into another standing reset and a repeat of the scenario.

@AK Pig Of The Hut
@legion666
@JHCRANE 14
@PLAYING TO W1N
@Vulcan Hades
NKZero
That's very smart actually. Good stuff. I need to practice combo-ing off the d+3.

SomeCubanGuy thanks for the compliment. I was wondering whether you were practicing it because I have now forgotten how to get the axe of terror to connect on the cross-up side. I had the timing down but now it's messing up, and I settle for just doing a full combo which sends them mid-screen. Is there a special timing?

EVB SomeCubanGuy

*Hissssssssssss*
OK just to clarify, this corner 50/50 doesn't really work with j1. Both the j1 and the AoT can be blocked the same side, so the j1 is not actually a crossup. If you only do the j1 you'll land on the crossup side, but the j1 alone won't be a crossup. Also because of the low blockstun on j1, the opponent can d1 you out of any followup really, and if you do cancel into AoT it can be interrupted by quite a few characters with fast normals. However j3 does work in the original setup, but in reverse to how NKZero explained it. After the nj2, you do a j3 (which lands on the original side) and cancel it into the crossup AoT and they have to block the opposite way. From there you can continue your 50/50 vortex or finish the combo and put them full screen again.

NKZero

Noob
OK just to clarify, this corner 50/50 doesn't really work with j1. Both the j1 and the AoT can be blocked the same side, so the j1 is not actually a crossup. If you only do the j1 you'll land on the crossup side, but the j1 alone won't be a crossup. Also because of the low blockstun on j1, the opponent can d1 you out of any followup really, and if you do cancel into AoT it can be interrupted by quite a few characters with fast normals. However j3 does work in the original setup, but in reverse to how NKZero explained it. After the nj2, you do a j3 (which lands on the original side) and cancel it into the crossup AoT and they have to block the opposite way. From there you can continue your 50/50 vortex or finish the combo and put them full screen again.
Ok I apologise for my inaccurate testing. That's great you found it with j+3 though :).

So if you do j+3--AoT (input d/b+1) is that a cross-up? Is j+3--AoT (input d/f+1) the fake cross-up? Is that what you meant by reverse of mine? Just want clarification.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
@AK Pig Of The Hut
@legion666
@JHCRANE 14
@PLAYING TO W1N
@Vulcan Hades

Guys check out the OP. I added a new paragraph with more info. What d'you think?

What this means is that you can now fully control which way to input the axe of terror, which in turn controls which way the opponent must block. All outcomes can now keep the opponent cornered and in a potentially endless guessing game.
I have been working so much that I have not had much time to play this game....sorry. Your post looks really cool and well informed. Will get back to this game when I can. keep up the good work NKzero.