What's new

Should third variations be allowed to re-use other variation moves?

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
TLDR:
I think that third variations should consider using other already used variation moves.

We know that a third variation for the characters is coming in the somewhat foreseeable future. We are also under the assumption that they are going to try and make the variations unique from one another.

My question, however, is that should these third variations be forced to NOT reuse the other variation moves?

Let me give you some examples:

1) Kitana

So Kitana's non variant moves only leave her with the following options: edenian fade (2 slots), upward fan toss (1 slot, conflict low fan toss), low fan toss (1 slot, conflict with upward fan toss), edenian twist (1 slot), Retreating/Advancing flutter (2 slots), and Air Piercing Fan

Realistically, for a variation to "play like Kitana used to" with fan combos, you would NEED to have a variation using upward fan toss at the bare minimum, however the best variation I could see would be using upward fan toss in conjunction with her already two used moves in the other fan-fare variation.

2) Skarlet

I love Skarlet, and I think both of her variations are really amazing because of what they have to offer. However her third variation will not have anything that I can think of worth while to put it over the other variations. If you give Skarlet Red Mist she loses her tongue, if you give her the variation db3 she loses her low projectile, and red rain you have to be under the rain itself so it isn't super useful.

3) Sonya

I don't play Sonya so please correct me if I'm wrong, but Sonya I think is one of the few characters that would actually benefit from having an all new variation. My reason for using her as an example is to show that all characters are going to be impacted differently, but my question is will most characters have a useless third variation?

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I really want them to open up customs, but I know that it’s a pipe dream for now. I really hope they consider adding the old moves because I don’t want characters to suffer and a bunch get a useless third variation

I think their gonna have to rework moves and current variations to accommodate a third one. otherwise some characters will have a totally useless 3rd variation, regardless of having move overlap or not.

Spektor

Noob
I think they won't re-use moves unfortunately. I am hoping these third variations come with a huge buff patch to the moves or no one will use 90% of them.

Honestly they should just open up and let customs roll...…… I know I´m beating a dead horse but damn do I wish for customs to be allowed in ranked and tournament
NRS: makes custom variations a selling point of the game

Also NRS: completely restricts use of custom variations competitively

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I agree... I think it is important for every current move to be represented in a valid tournament variation.. but I still have hopes that over time we may get even more variations added to the official tournament variations, that do use different mix of moves, even if those moves are in other builds already. Maybe a 4th variation after spawn and a 5th with KP2. I'd also love the idea that maybe new moves will be added even.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
If a character needsa certain move in multiple variations that move should probably be part of their base kit.