What's new

General/Other Should Smoke Gain Anything When/If The Reset is Removed?

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
this cracks me up. all the guys who rape with smoke in tournaments rarely use the reset
This is true. Aris was one of the, if not the, best Smoke player imo, and that guy not only didn't know of the F4 reset's existence, but never capitalized on damage. Still kicked major ass.

HD Smoke

Noob
This is true. Aris was one of the, if not the, best Smoke player imo, and that guy not only didn't know of the F4 reset's existence, but never capitalized on damage. Still kicked major ass.
THIS. Aris was sick and he never even went for Smokes highest damage kombos. I don't even think he used standing 2 as a anti air. Pretty sure he always used D1 but he always caught people in it. I wish he still played this game. Smoke without reset is still better than alot of the cast in the game.

GGA Wafflez

the kid
ok sooo smoke's ...
A. reset works like 1/3 of the time
2. doesn't need a low starter... fastest sweep, grabs, and one of the best overheads are great
III. someone said he has great mobility... not as great as half the other characters in the game (ex:sonya, jax, jc, robots, kung lao)
D. smoke has sluggish normals
5. his anti air is great... but not as op as JC's jax or sonya.. smoke cant just casually walk back after setting some1 up to jump because if u walk back and press 2, he does his overhead
6. all of his moves are punishable (smoke bomb close only by a few... 8 frame punish?)

i agree with no change

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
ok sooo smoke's ...
A. reset works like 1/3 of the time
2. doesn't need a low starter... fastest sweep, grabs, and one of the best overheads are great
III. someone said he has great mobility... not as great as half the other characters in the game (ex:sonya, jax, jc, robots, kung lao)
D. smoke has sluggish normals
5. his anti air is great... but not as op as JC's jax or sonya.. smoke cant just casually walk back after setting some1 up to jump because if u walk back and press 2, he does his overhead
6. all of his moves are punishable (smoke bomb close only by a few... 8 frame punish?)

i agree with no change
Actually...

Smoke doesn't have the fastest sweep (Kabal's is faster) and all grabs have the same start up and hitbox properties.

His mobility is second only to Kung Lao, but is roughly equal with other highly mobile characters.

b2 is the best overhead and one of the normals in the entire game. You can still casually walk back and AA with standing 2 as long as your inputs are clean.

All of his moves are punishable? On whiff, yea, but Smoke is 0 on block on every part of all of his strings except 13 which is slight disadvantage.

Smoke bomb is a 9 frame punish but unless your opponent reacts perfectly (almost impossible to do unless they read it) or is reptile its pretty much safe.

Sorry if I'm nit picky but I just want everything to be clear

GGA Wafflez

the kid
Actually...

Smoke doesn't have the fastest sweep (Kabal's is faster) and all grabs have the same start up and hitbox properties.

His mobility is second only to Kung Lao, but is roughly equal with other highly mobile characters.

b2 is the best overhead and one of the normals in the entire game. You can still casually walk back and AA with standing 2 as long as your inputs are clean.

All of his moves are punishable? On whiff, yea, but Smoke is 0 on block on every part of all of his strings except 13 which is slight disadvantage.

Smoke bomb is a 9 frame punish but unless your opponent reacts perfectly (almost impossible to do unless they read it) or is reptile its pretty much safe.

oh ok
guess i am dropping smoke ha... i dont know shit

Altaire

Noob
Just post ur opinions on what would make him better.

I would love to have faster recovery frames on smoke bomb so i can use it for pressure, kind of like shang tsung's skull pressure. Thus making smoke much better up close!
...Why do you say this like Smoke needs to be better up close? In fact, why do you say this like Smoke isn't amazing up close?

Jesus christ, why are some people so quick to cry for buffs? Smoke is a godlike character. 3 D1 2 BY ITSELF makes your opponent afraid to move, because if he even tries to jump out afterward, you can D1 juggle into a smoke bomb and combo. Once you have that in place, you can start doing repeat 3 D1 2s, throws, D4s (which gives you an opportunity for ANOTHER mixup between B2 3 and throw).

His footsies are fucking PHENOMENAL. His walk speed is more than adequate, and B2 3 makes it so easy for him to blow you up just by walking backwards and making you whiff a string. Factor in that his D1, D3 and D4 are all amazing and his standing 2 is one of the best anti-air jabs in the game: Yeah, Smoke is pretty damn good.

Smoke doesn't need his reset, nor does he need anything else. He's fine. Stop asking for buffs.

...Also:

a combo string that start with low , next, a overhead pop up juggle starter ..... something that Quan Chi and Stryker have, hehe .... :D
You mean B2 3 smoke bomb, which is 39% off a JIP?

Come on, people.

Altaire

Noob
Also:

Actually...

I agree with most of this, but Reptile is MUCH more mobile than Smoke is. You could even argue that he's more mobile than Kung Lao is, because while Kung Lao has more options, Reptile's dash allows him to close space better than any other character in the game. I think this one really comes down to Kung Lao and Reptile.

Cyber Sub's mobility is pretty disgusting, too. Whiffed divekicks are a great way to close space, and as your opponent is never sure which divekick you'll use, it's hard for him to gauge where you'll land. I feel like this aspect of his game is completely overlooked*.

*By everyone who isn't J360.

HD Smoke

Noob
...Why do you say this like Smoke needs to be better up close? In fact, why do you say this like Smoke isn't amazing up close?

Jesus christ, why are some people so quick to cry for buffs? Smoke is a godlike character. 3 D1 2 BY ITSELF makes your opponent afraid to move, because if he even tries to jump out afterward, you can D1 juggle into a smoke bomb and combo. Once you have that in place, you can start doing repeat 3 D1 2s, throws, D4s (which gives you an opportunity for ANOTHER mixup between B2 3 and throw).

His footsies are fucking PHENOMENAL. His walk speed is more than adequate, and B2 3 makes it so easy for him to blow you up just by walking backwards and making you whiff a string. Factor in that his D1, D3 and D4 are all amazing and his standing 2 is one of the best anti-air jabs in the game: Yeah, Smoke is pretty damn good.

Smoke doesn't need his reset, nor does he need anything else. He's fine. Stop asking for buffs.

...Also:

You mean B2 3 smoke bomb, which is 39% off a JIP?

Come on, people.
All of this is legit. I agree smoke is amazing and doesn't need a buff but since his reset is hard to pull off in a close fight and barely works 1/3 of the time i think it should stay in the game. It usually works as a disadvantage for most great smoke players because there goes breaker. It is really fun to use at times though. Smoke should not get a nerf or buff. How he is right now is fine. If they nerf him they better nerf cyrax resets, quan chi's rune traps, and kitana's unbreakable damage. However i am totally with the cyrax's resets and quan chi rune traps always being in this game. I think that it pisses people off how cheap it can be but it makes the kharacters play risky and a more diverse style for every kharacter. Stuff like this is why i stopped playing MVC3 and still havent played another game since MK's release. Cheap isnt always bad.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Also:

I agree with most of this, but Reptile is MUCH more mobile than Smoke is. You could even argue that he's more mobile than Kung Lao is, because while Kung Lao has more options, Reptile's dash allows him to close space better than any other character in the game. I think this one really comes down to Kung Lao and Reptile.

Cyber Sub's mobility is pretty disgusting, too. Whiffed divekicks are a great way to close space, and as your opponent is never sure which divekick you'll use, it's hard for him to gauge where you'll land. I feel like this aspect of his game is completely overlooked*.

*By everyone who isn't J360.
Reptile's dash is a move with high mobility, but other than that he is slug like. His mobility is one dimensional and once you memorize the spacing of elbow dash you can shut it down a majority of the time.

Cyber Subz is highly mobile because of dive kicks and I think he has a really good block dash too though I might be confusing that with someone else. Smoke is highly mobile because of smoke drifts and whiffed teleports, both aerial and grounded. His block dash is decent, too.

They're roughly equal in mobility but from different angles.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Reptile's dash is a move with high mobility, but other than that he is slug like. His mobility is one dimensional and once you memorize the spacing of elbow dash you can shut it down a majority of the time.

Cyber Subz is highly mobile because of dive kicks and I think he has a really good block dash too though I might be confusing that with someone else. Smoke is highly mobile because of smoke drifts and whiffed teleports, both aerial and grounded. His block dash is decent, too.

They're roughly equal in mobility but from different angles.
Reptile is SLOW without his dash, so if you hold block you can slow him down quite a fair bit when hes done dashing into your punishes.

CSub has the fastest dash in the game (i think) and his dive kicks get him around lightning fast, his teleport isnt all too shabby either.

I think the smoke does well for mobility, but only from the right distance. I hate being punches out of smoke drifts, and his air tele-whiff hasnt been safe for me in a long time since all my opponents are easily punishing it (unless i get lucky)

Its not as safe as it first came across, and can easily be punished on reaction, slowing my smoke down a fair bit offline. Online hes still the same, but who cares its online. Smokes dashing and block dashing are okay, but his drifts will get you the best results, just dont try use it to get out of incoming danger too often, its unreliable and causes many salts.