What's new

Question - Ronin Should Ronin Takeda be able to Summon and call his blade while airborne?

Should Ronin Takeda be able to summon and call his blade while airborne?

• Total voters

AU_JUST_LOST

You just got Skadoodled
I love playing ronin takeda. My fav variation for him and also potentially his best. My only problem with it is that it is VERY meter dependent if you want to rack up some decent damage midscreen. While calling the blade from the air would be good, i think that he really needs his callback to have less recovery/ launch higher so that one can consistently combo off of it. This would definitely make his mix-ups (and boy does this variation have mix-ups) a lot more scary without him wasting a bar on a 50% chance of hitting the opponent low.

skater11

The saltiest
That would pretty much give him free jumps/jump ins. i have a feeling it will almost be too good just because it's Low hitting.

hayatei

Noob
I love playing ronin takeda. My fav variation for him and also potentially his best. My only problem with it is that it is VERY meter dependent if you want to rack up some decent damage midscreen. While calling the blade from the air would be good, i think that he really needs his callback to have less recovery/ launch higher so that one can consistently combo off of it. This would definitely make his mix-ups (and boy does this variation have mix-ups) a lot more scary without him wasting a bar on a 50% chance of hitting the opponent low.
b212+4 far blade drop blade call d1 f1 is 25% or d1 bf2

okay damage for an easy meterless combo

Cerebru

Noob
This is an honest question. Should Ronin Takeda be able to have the ability to summon his blade on the ground while airborne and also have the ability to call his blade back to him while airborne? I think this is the final missing piece in giving this variation the flexibility it needs. Having aerial options would open a plethora of mindgames for Ronin Takeda. It would give him great oki set ups by ending combos with a blade summon and then crossing up the opponent or jumping in and going for a 50/50 by calling the blade up as a low while in the air or landing while a jump attack for an overhead. This would also slightly improve his blade zoning and anti zoning capabilities during projectile wars as he can now jump and set his blade down after avoiding a projectile similar to Hunter Predator's snag. It would also beef up his neutral jump and jump back keep out game vs some of the melee characters like Sonya since they will normally have to approach and be careful of another option now with the blade.

I think this would make the variation a lot more fun while improving it. If Hunter Predator can do it I don't see how it wold be that big of a stretch if Ronin Takeda could also do it. What do you guys think?
Only if they give displacer Raiden a teleport worth having. Then .... yes I will agree to these shenanigans.

StealthyMuffin

Earth's Mightiest Knucklehead
I'll downplay Takeda all day, but this is too much. The only thing I can think of is actually making Blade Drop 2-in-1 cancellable into Quick Kall. His mixup and zoning game would greatly improve. Plus some nice meter building.

Last edited:

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Nah this would be too much, I already think Ronin is Takeda's best variation. Still, I'd be fine with him getting fixes and slight buffs, like what @StealthyMuffin said. Most of the time he goes crazy about takeda, but I think(I don't have much exp. with Ronin) that buff would be good.

If I'm being crazy and that buff would break him then please do tell, I'm interested in Ronin.

Last edited:

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I thought ronin was pretty good when I recently played against it. Maybe I'm not familiar with his holes but the mind games with the sword on the ground combined with pressure seemed pretty strong. I always felt I had to respect the sword which would put me in somewhat of a bad situation. I could imagine the shit he could pull if he called it while jumping.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
By this logic (comparing things to Hunter Predator) I say Sub-Zero should be able to produce a clone while airborne and shatter while airborne as well.

Its only fair