What's new

Question - Ronin Should Ronin Takeda be able to Summon and call his blade while airborne?

Should Ronin Takeda be able to summon and call his blade while airborne?

• Total voters

REO

Undead
This is an honest question. Should Ronin Takeda be able to have the ability to summon his blade on the ground while airborne and also have the ability to call his blade back to him while airborne? I think this is the final missing piece in giving this variation the flexibility it needs. Having aerial options would open a plethora of mindgames for Ronin Takeda. It would give him great oki set ups by ending combos with a blade summon and then crossing up the opponent or jumping in and going for a 50/50 by calling the blade up as a low while in the air or landing while a jump attack for an overhead. This would also slightly improve his blade zoning and anti zoning capabilities during projectile wars as he can now jump and set his blade down after avoiding a projectile similar to Hunter Predator's snag. It would also beef up his neutral jump and jump back keep out game vs some of the melee characters like Sonya since they will normally have to approach and be careful of another option now with the blade.

I think this would make the variation a lot more fun while improving it. If Hunter Predator can do it I don't see how it wold be that big of a stretch if Ronin Takeda could also do it. What do you guys think?

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
I think 95% of what you get back from this thread is unsubstantiated. I'm willing to wager most of this site knows nothing of Ronin Takeda. I guess I'd have to play one for a long enough time to understand his weaknesses before I could start talking about potential buffs

I GOT HANDS

Official Infrared Scorp wid gapless Wi-Fi pressure
I think 95% of what you get back from this thread is unsubstantiated. I'm willing to wager most of this site knows nothing of Ronin Takeda. I guess I'd have to play one for a long enough time to understand his weaknesses before I could start talking about potential buffs
There's some truth to this I guess. I've practiced him pretty extensively and decided he was just lacking too much for me to enjoy. That being said, I'm probably more familiar than the character than a lot of other non-Takeda players, and even I don't really know the character in and out. Hell we are ironing out shit with the real popular characters EVERYONE been playing the shit out of since the first week. So yeah, I guess a lot of us can give a surface level judgement, but only Takeda or even Ronin players (and their main opponent to be fair) probably have a decent idea of what the character needs.

If you were to ask me anyway, I'd say he needs this and more however.

Atomic Era

Grundy want pants too.
I don't see it breaking the character so I'd be perfectly fine with Ronin getting this. Hopefully it would generate more interest in the character and make him a bit more viable.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Does anybody play Ronin ? That's MKX problem. Variations were good idea but most of them are useless.
I wouldn't say "most". A lot of variations are matchup dependant like Buzzsaw Lao or Warlock Quan.

There are only a few select variations that are truly awful, like Spectral Ermac or Lasher Takeda. A lot of Variations are good in specific matchups, but won't be your go to variation. Kinda why the variations exist in the first place.

Atomic Era

Grundy want pants too.
what if Ronin gets a teleport would this make him more viable?
I'm not actually sure that's what he needs and that's more Shirai Ryu's thing. I've heard that most of his strings have gaps in them which weakens Ronin's pressure game. Fix up his strings and give him a little something extra shenanigan wise like this and he should be alright.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Could certainly do with something.

Ronin is super duper ass right now.
Its not the best but it has really good frame traps and can break armour with sword out, and can reflect projectiles. I wouldnt write it off people just havent seen what it can do properly. Shirai ryu is great as a main variation and Ronin works well against people that arent able to build meter for reversals and dont have a quick poke to check his + frames.

On topic he would have some great options to be able to drop in the air, his air normals are good especially neutral jumps, so being able to NJP/Sword call which breaks armour would be a legit way to follow up a knockdown with sword under them, risky but still scary.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
This would actually be too good for Ronin I actually think. Ronin isn't ass, @hayatei is a Ronin main that we play in Montreal and he's extremely good. Your only real options getting out of Ronin pressure is backdashing on a read correctly, and hoping that it was right otherwise you eat relatively big damage into blade drop. I'm not sure what string it is, but whatever string into blade drop is +2 so you can just eat more pressure. Once he starts going to tournaments more (You'll all see him at Canada Cup), youll see how dumb Ronin actually is.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
This would actually be too good for Ronin I actually think. Ronin isn't ass, @hayatei is a Ronin main that we play in Montreal and he's extremely good. Your only real options getting out of Ronin pressure is backdashing on a read correctly, and hoping that it was right otherwise you eat relatively big damage into blade drop. I'm not sure what string it is, but whatever string into blade drop is +2 so you can just eat more pressure. Once he starts going to tournaments more (You'll all see him at Canada Cup), youll see how dumb Ronin actually is.
What kind of Ronin pressure is it?

I've been really interested in Ronin for a fair while but just can't figure out what I should be doing.

Are there any guides or videos around I can check out?

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
What kind of Ronin pressure is it?

I've been really interested in Ronin for a fair while but just can't figure out what I should be doing.

Are there any guides or videos around I can check out?
I honestly wish I knew the strings, but I've played against it so much that I just know it by look. Its mainly doing whatever string into Blade Drop, then F112+4 or wtv hte string is, and deciding if to cancel it or do blade call. OR once blade drop is on the ground, you can do overhead or low and do blade call at some point.

I don't know about a video or anything, but send @hayatei a PM. I'm sure he'll tell you literally everything you want to know about the character.

zaf

professor
@PND_Ketchup yea dude, ronin is the opposite of super duper ass.
He also requires a lot of execution.

F122+4 into blade drop
From here you can call it back right away and this beats armor if you do blade call
After he drops the blade, he can go into a string and do a quick call, which puts it back to his hand and he is + frames again and more or less loops this.

You have to guess during his strings
if he will stagger the string,
if he will drop the blade and poke
drop the blade and go into a string,
drop the blade and call it back,

he has a lot of options

Iced_Taz

Characters loyalist :)
I wouldn't say "most". A lot of variations are matchup dependant like Buzzsaw Lao or Warlock Quan.

There are only a few select variations that are truly awful, like Spectral Ermac or Lasher Takeda. A lot of Variations are good in specific matchups, but won't be your go to variation. Kinda why the variations exist in the first place.
I like lasher Takeda :D I play this game with weak variations or characters :)