What's new

Should Pro Gamers Have Early Access to Fighting Games?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Apparently, there's big talk about of a pro player named FChamp leaked a photo of him playing as the next DLC character, Venom. The next set of DLC character have not even been released yet and people of course, are raving about it.

So that brings up an interesting topic of discussion for all fighting games. Do you think it's fair for pro gamers to have early access to the game they compete in ?Question mark?

Let's have a discussion!

Righteous :l:qtl:cool::qtr:r

KingKhrystopher

Official Merlin of TYM
I can see both sides here.

On one hand, he's getting early access for something he may or may not have eveb paid for, seeing as he both got it early, and is actively playing and trying her. This raises brows in all aspects, whether it be for a consumer, who might have paid the same amount or more, and this random guy is getting it earlier than everybody else, and got early access probably over other pros, thereby granting him a slightly unfair advantage as far as the character goes, and that's clearly favoritism. On the other hand, this guy is clearly in leagues with someone who works at Capcom... I'm cer he didn't just hack to unlock her, especially if Capcom hasn't made a statement saying so. In this world, it's not what you know, it's who you know, that will get you what you want, so I guess it's just tough titty for everyone else.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
From a player perspective its disappointing to know someone is playing it before you but on the other hand.

On or before the release date if you see a pro player doing all kinds of crazy tech/combos it'll generate hype in the community and people might be more inclined to buy these characters.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I feel y'all on both ends. If i was a competitive pro, right, and i see my rival getting access to these games, id be hella pissed! Because thats money on the line, thats lively hood, thats bills, thats cheating! But on the other hand, if he was summoned by the company to try their product, my Black ass would find a way to get my hands to do the same ;)

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
From a casual perspective, it doesn't bother me much. I'm not competing, and it's not like I'd be able to find much labbing the character, or do content creation. I'm just not that type of player. It makes sense from a testing and marketing standpoint to have certain pro's get early access to a character.

I think the people who would be salty would be other pro or aspiring pro competitors who don't get access and end up feeling left out. As long as TO's do a good job of not allowing new characters in tournament play until they've become public for a certain amount of time, the competative advantage that a player gets from early access should be nullified or lessened.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
This issue was raised in our own NRS scene when competitive OG's QA tested IGAU and maybe even MKX (I sort of forget the timeline). Basically testers had to sit out of competiting for a small time frame.

I remember all those #banthetesters hashtags lol.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
This issue was raised in our own NRS scene when competitive OG's QA tested IGAU and maybe even MKX (I sort of forget the timeline). Basically testers had to sit out of competiting for a small time frame.

I remember all those #banthetesters hashtags lol.
Dayum! Well it already happened lol

Yes they should. You don't want everyone looking like scrubs when the competitive season rolls around. Makes it unattractive.

Yes, we need a lot more game testers too.
As someone working in games - there is a very real disconnect here. Always possible for bugs to be found and the solution is either not plausible within the timeframe you need, not worth it, or just unknown.

QA gets a lot of blame when there should be a benefit of the doubt.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
This question seems to pop up every 6 months or so.............WHY????

Seems pretty simple. I would hope we would want our best and brightest testing a game for the public. Would you want average Joe testing automobiles for the public?

Nobus3r1

House of Bane; ID: 8V596
Do you think it's fair for pro gamers to have early access to the game they compete in?
I do not. I also do not think that they should be allowed to compete in games for which they've be granted such access. Additionally, I tend to avoid games were this is an issue as this sort of thing is not limited to a developer giving select individuals privileged access. I would extend it to when certain regions have access to a game way ahead of everybody else. In short, if item #1 on page #1 of the list 'How to get good at _____________ game' is anything other than 'Git good' I find it very difficult to take the game seriously either as a player or a spectator.