What's new

Should NRS legalize custom variations for competitive play? (Poll)

Should NRS legalize custom variations for competitive play?

• Total voters

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Not allowing custom variations to, at the very least, be available for online competitive play would be an utterly disastrous decision for the long term health of the game.

MK11 will be SO much more interesting two years from now, if we have custom variations riding online.

If they were going to restrict custom variations, they really should have made that decision before the beta was released. Once they let us do what we wanted in the Beta, they had an obligation to let that shit ride in the real game. Otherwise, custom variations = biggest tease ever.

And what would the foreseeable pros/cons be if they did?
The whole variation system is a clusterbomb. Im not sure what they were aiming for but it seems like they aimed for archetype diversity.

The problem I see with allowing custom variations is that the game has a very linear structure and is balanced around this rigidity.

Character A has a fast advancing mid and an OH starter but no low starter or launcher. Hes hella good but manageable in his 2 variations. Now with a custom variation he gets a low hitting special that launches. He just became braindead...

Just one of the many infinite hypothetical examples...which leads to my conclusion that the whole system was poorly thought out and implemented.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I do agree that it seems pointless to have custom in there if you can't use them for everything... but at the same time I like the idea of having set, structured variations to compete with and against. IDK, guess it doesn't really matter to me either way but I voted no.

Auron

Look, it has begun.
People have no idea what they're asking for here, the game would become a big kusoge.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
I can't think of a single reason not to add customs in tournament and in every mode. This isn't like Injustice 2 where the extra moves aren't really balanced. None of the custom moves in MK11 feel like they break the character/the game/make any character too powerful. I see no downside at all.

Dreamcatcher

EFL Founder
I do agree that it seems pointless to have custom in there if you can't use them for everything... but at the same time I like the idea of having set, structured variations to compete with and against. IDK, guess it doesn't really matter to me either way but I voted no.
It's been a couple weeks and I see how wrong I was. There should be no reason not to be able to use kustom variations.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I can't think of a single reason not to add customs in tournament and in every mode. This isn't like Injustice 2 where the extra moves aren't really balanced. None of the custom moves in MK11 feel like they break the character/the game/make any character too powerful. I see no downside at all.
I've only looked at Sub's, and right there he has a pretty substantial combo extender with rising ice launcher, and an unblockable reset with ground ice. Not sure about that.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I just find it HILARIOUS people here are STILL against it by saying, "It would be too hard to balance." Dummies, listen....THE BALANCE IS ALREADY THERE! By making moves 2 slots and taking out some or their normal moves is the balance to not make the character super broken. NRS already planned this and the beta was confirmation that it worked beautifully!

If you dont want Custom variation personally, then thats fine but don't say because of balance. That argument is null and void!