What's new

Poll Should MK11 Build on MKX?

Should MK11 retain MKX character designs, mechanics, stages, etc. and build from them?

• Yes

Votes: 93 44.9%
  • No

Votes: 114 55.1%

• Total voters

Goat-City

Banned
From MK9 to MKX, all the returning characters were completely redesigned, all the old stages were scrapped for new ones, and many new universal mechanics and features were added. Moving forward to MK11, I really don't think they should rebuild again. Instead I think they should use MKX as its foundation while improving on it, and I'll list some of the pros and cons of this down below.

Pros

1. Roster. Without having to rebuild all of MKX's characters again before making new ones, we would end up with a much larger roster with tons of returning fan favorites added like Fujin and Noob, which means that no one would have to be scrapped in favor of others. If they decide to rebuild everyone again then don't be surprised if Johnny ends up getting replaced with Cassie 2.0 or if Quan gets replaced with Shang Tsung.

2. Creativity. Redesigning everything isn't easy. With the variation system, many of the characters were re-imagined in really fun and interesting ways such as Ethereal Mileena, Hat Trick Kung Lao, Sorcerer Quan, etc. So if variations return but the MKX character designs do not, I doubt what we'll get to replace them will be better or even as good, so what's the point? If variations don't return, then to a lot of people that's going to be a big downgrade and a big disappointment. They'd also have to replace all of MKX's brutalities, X rays, fatalities, as well as the intro dialogues and outros instead of just adding on to them.

3. Stages. MKX has far fewer stages than MK9 did, and many would argue that they don't live up to the same consistent quality as MK9's did either. MK9's stages couldn't be added to MKX because of the graphical differences and possibly time constraints, but if they decide to keep MKX's stages in MK11, which would make sense if they keep the same character designs too, then they would have lots of time to update MK9's stages with the new hardware and give us some new stages too. They already started with the Pit, so it seems logical they'd do the same for the rest.

4. General Improvements. By using MKX as a template for MK11, they'd have more time to continue balancing the game, fixing many of its fundamental problems, and fleshing out its underdeveloped variations. They could also put in a tag team mode like MK9's which a lot of people would love to see return, including myself.

Cons
1. Fun factor. With having a lot of the same things imported over, it may seem dull to some people to continue using and seeing the same things that they've already experienced in MKX for so long, especially people who have no interest in the new characters.

2. Possible Returning Problems. MKX brought some things a lot of people don't like, such as the run button, weak zoning, excessive overpowered 50/50s, poor defensive options, etc. While they definitely could fix these issues without starting over entirely, they might not. It's really up to NRS if they decide to take the feedback they've been given and put it to use.

Last edited:

The_REAL_xVAPORx

smoke reset bot
so when MK9 dropped it really put NRS back on the map. record sales, highly acclaimed by a majority, even fighting game of the year..... i really dont see what NRS was thinking when they took the winning formula they had with MK9, and completely scrapped everything about it to give us essentially, a well packaged piece of shit. i sincerely hope for MK11 we get the MK9.5 most of us really wanted in the first place.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i like the variation system....they just have to be more dedicated to balancing it, overall i like how the game is built. But lbsh, NRS puts innovation above polish, im willing to bet mk11 will be nothing like mkx or mk9. This is why they have such a hard time creating a balanced game because whether or not they've learned from their mistakes doesnt matter since the new game is completely different and the same idea's don't always apply.

Goat-City

Banned
MKX is a fantastic game at its core, definitely worthy of being the successor to MK9. It's the bad things about it on the surface that make people think it should be scrapped. The 50/50s, excessive running in, overpowered jump attacks, underpowered defensive options and more could all be easily fixed and balanced, but MKX isn't getting any more patches so the only way we could see a properly done version of this game is if they keep building on it for MK11.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
When done in the spirit of the major base mechanics of the game are largely the same but the cast and meaningful content is largely new and different, then yes.

When it's more about slapping in extra content like a roided up DLC pack and calling it MK11, then no. If they want to just add content, then do that, but don't call it a new game. Games need to have differences, and sometimes that does mean things are excluded between two versions. It sounds weird that things can work that way, but Rain and Sindel would be easy to give us in MKX but they are deliberately electing not to do the like other 20% of the work it would take. It's like, "why do that?" but they have some sort of reason. The fans always want a game that is like a content piñata, but I don't know that that ends up making the best games. Sort of a too much of a good thing scenario.

That said, MKX is my all time favorite game. The more MK11 is like it, the more I'm probably going to like it.

gam224

The world's least hype player
Yes, MKX is fun and balanced but still flawed. It panders to rush down a bit too much IMO (not as much as some would have you believe) and has a bit of a problem with variations (some are too strong some are too weak etc) and I think with some time and acknowledgement of their mistakes they could craft an awesome game.

For Mk11 swerve DLC movie character guests and make it a proper MK title, even though MK9 had Freddy, yet too much money is thrown at it nowadays and WB rule the iron fist over NR's say. Make 11 without the variations (like others say good concept, yet really it's crap) when resources could be used elsewhere and bring back proper AA to punish suicide jumpers consistency.

Balance it properly instead of releasing a BETA day 1 and patching the shit of it thereafter. Bug fixes and game breaking issues yeah, but sort out the character balance in depth, as I'm tired of learning characters only to get shafted later on.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I think building on the game is fine. What I personally would like to see done for MK11:

-Running mixed with really far reaching and advancing normals makes it really hard for defensive characters who want space...it's hard to legitimately maintain space in MKX...and those two things are a huge reason why. I feel like, going forward, run is really fun, and adds an extra complexity in mobility...and should stay. What could be done is making far reaching normals slower (I'm thinking no faster than 18 or 19 frames).

-Another problem for defensive characters is just being able to gain space fast enough or be able to maintain distance. Run ruins that. Why not add a backwards run? I felt that should have been added into MKX. Just a backwards run that's generally just a hair slower than forward running. No invincibility, same stamina drain rate. I think those two things would help tons.

-They're a lot less common now, but there shouldn't be absurdly plus things on block/hit. Like, there's no reason to be more than +5 on block for a game with this frame data, unless the pushback is so massive nothing is guaranteed. And being in +15-20 territory on hit.

-LESS UNREACTABLE 50/50 GAMES THAT CAN LEAD TO GOOD REWARDS AND CAN BE MADE SAFE OR PLUS ON BLOCK ON EITHER OPTION! That is extremely powerful. There's not much of a need of that to exist in a fighting game, unless you're going to make the defensive game that much better.

-I've felt since MK9 that they should do more things that are invincible. Not fully invincible, but like strike, throw, or projectile invincible. Or a combination. And then have armor for things you just want to be able to plow through anything with a drawback. This way, they can design meterless options around certain roles much easier, instead of just slapping on armor and giving characters so many armor attacks to wakeup with.

Goat-City

Banned
Variations are my favourite things ever. Certain characters could have been balanced more, but thats not an issue with variations thats just NRS laziness, and where they worked, they were amazing!
Agreed, but I'd like them to be expanded upon in MK11 (if they carry over that is) so you can switch to a different variation after a lost round for a bar of meter. It would bring a new level of depth to the game, add a bonus use to the variations that makes them more valuable to learn for your main, and it could potentially make some match ups more fair.

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
I think people are only seeing that bad and not looking at what NRS did right this time. Sure, the game felt almost like a beta at release, but you cannot deny the variation system being a huge undertaking. No one has done something like that. Closest thing was SSF4's Ultra 1 vs Ultra 2. But in SSF4, selecting your Ultra didn't vastly change how you play the character.

Considering how experimental NRS has been in the past, variations could have been an absolute disaster. They could have been WORSE at release. Your money was already thiers, and they could have easily said "fuck it" like they did with the PS3/360 versions or eventually PC and not gave a damn. Instead, they kept with it, balancing the game as best they could, added bits of content here and there for free, and two DLC packs.

What we ended up with was a game that is easily their most balanced game when all bets were against them. If for the next game they take what they've learned with MKX and take the time required to make the variations diversified AND balanced, I think we'll have a quality game.

As for specific mechanics, personally, I think running needs to go. Dashing is all that's needed. Make backdashes more viable as a defensive option. Also, like someone else said, add more specific properties to specials to better help with balance instead of adding armor to everything.

And for the love of Zod can we just do away with 3D hitboxes?