What's new

Should mid cmd grabs actually exist?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It's gotten to the point where we complain about things that are normal in fighting games.

Yes other games have 50/50s and mixups, ambiguous setups, moves that hit behind sometimes, annoying specials, mid command grabs, etc. It's time to just suck it up and level up.

Wigy

There it is...
I just want kotals command grab input to be the same as everyone else.

i know it shouldnt matter but it annoys me when i get hit with the third long ass animation 30% command grab.

y’all remember when jason had a tick off an advancing mid that was unpunishable outside armour lol

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
It's gotten to the point where we complain about things that are normal in fighting games.

Yes other games have 50/50s and mixups, ambiguous setups, moves that hit behind sometimes, annoying specials, mid command grabs, etc. It's time to just suck it up and level up.
this is why noone will ever respect the MK community

MK is the biggest selling fighting game, which means its full of casuals and professional casuals that like to think they're taking a fighting game seriously, but complain about basic mechanics that anyone with any fighting game knowledge outside of MK would know is normal

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I think of all the stupid nonsense that exists in this game that can be legitimately complained about, the existence of mid throws is not on that list. That said, Kotal's throw is fucking stupid.

Espio

Kokomo
Mid command grabs are normative, I just wish NRS would make a more traditional grappler so I can enjoy the grappler experience without being able to do everything including zone from full screen lol. I always like my grappler and my mobile female zoner for variety.

Kotal is just a weird character with so much Tomfoolery going on and especially with all his command grab does. It's definitely not the same as Kollector, Robocop or other mid command grabs. Either way NRS is pretty tame on command grabs for the most part.

As several other people have said, it's a blessing that the game has several throws that can be escaped via something other than jumps. With the existence of both mid and high grabs, I've just trained myself to short hop on any tick throw reads.

If I am only using one route to escape, I mostly just stop thinking about where the throw hits.

And if Kotal is close enough to give you a raw hug in neutral, you've already fucked up and Kotal deserves it.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
There are currently 4 characters with mid cmd grabs
Geras
Kollector
Kotal Kahn
Robocop

Would these characters be bad if their cmd grabs were changed to a high?

Why are mid cmd grabs so good?
Untechable
Can't be ducked
Can't be d2 kb punished
Fits the strike throw meta perfectly

Thoughts and opinions?
Zangief would like a word with you

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
complaining about mid-command grabs that do what? 12-16% damage? That's 16% If you spend bar? Am I reading this all correctly?

Meanwhile, Zangief is just deleting entire health bars with an SPD and getting rewarded with a dizzy for his troubles. Tagger is magnetizing his opponents so he can vacuum suck them into the Real Soviet Damage grab from half-screen. But nah, that 12% grab, that's something to look out for.

Espio

Kokomo
complaining about mid-command grabs that do what? 12-16% damage? That's 16% If you spend bar? Am I reading this all correctly?

Meanwhile, Zangief is just deleting entire health bars with an SPD and getting rewarded with a dizzy for his troubles. Tagger is magnetizing his opponents so he can vacuum suck them into the Real Soviet Damage grab from half-screen. But nah, that 12% grab, that's something to look out for.
NRS players stay spoiled when it comes to so many things and it shows.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!

I mean kotal can theoretically have a 40% command grab with totems.

Geras and Robocop have a 30% one with the KB

Kollector has 45% with KB

I agree there is a lot of whinging and the concept of a mid command grab is perfectly fine.

I think people complain because the characters with these abilities also have several other game play tactics. I guess that’s what happens with kustoms though.

I’m not complaining, just explaining.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
RoboCop only gets a KB off his normal throw. Using his Command Grab actually keeps you from accessing his throw KB.
Nah he has a KB on his command throw, and it doesn’t take away his dual throw KBs.

The requirement is kounter or punish to a roll escape.

It only does 270 though, not 300; my bad.