What's new

Should corner interactable jump outs have invincibility frames

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Don't act like this is strictly MKX. Every fighting game, if you get backed up into the corner you're going to pay. It's not an automatic loss if you get thrown in the corner. Your opponent has to play it right to keep you there, they make one mistake and you can turn the tables completely on them. It's a mind game for both players when in the corner. I believe it takes a level of skill to keep your opponent trapped in the corner. In the game of MKX you even have armour to help you out.
Yes, the concept appears in other fighters. But its different, nothing is close to this mad low/oh into combos madness. You name it, SF5, SF3rd stike, SF3, SF2, CVS1/2, KOF,98,99,2000. Tekken has strong corners but I cant say much since I have not played the game on high level. Even in MK9 corners where strong but we did not have so strong low/oh game that playes BIG part in the corner along with strong combos and week defense.

Once you send your opponent to the corner outside of few characters its already a big disadvantage....

Look, for you keeping your opponent in the corner takes balls, for me it takes balls to win the footsie game.
I see no reason to go on deeper. Its clear that we have different perspective how things should be work.

GGS

Look, for you keeping your opponent in the corner takes balls, for me it takes balls to win the footsie game.
You're saying you wont take advantage if your opponent in the corner? Lol, that's somewhat part of the footsies game. Play a good midscreen game and if you find your opponent in the corner go ham. True to MKX having insane OH/lows but a lot of other games don't give you armor to freely escape. A win is a win no matter where you are positioned on screen.

xSamuel

Player of All, Master of None.
Off an interactable he basically turns into a flying pigeon torpedo.
Lmao this made my day.

Interactable dive kicks are definitely plus. I thought like +7 but I could be wrong.

I'm a little confused on your problem though. Without armored launchers, meaty strings/pressure is much more viable on wake up, which would catch meterless interactable attempts and most, if not all, of the other options you listed.
Cases in which the opponent has a punishable wake up, so you respect it, and they choose to do the interactable instead is a good read on their part and results in a fair outcome.
Most of the time I see players, like Michelangelo, spend bar on it for a wake up to guarantee the attempt. He also does it, meterlessly, when cornered on the pit to gain pressure, which is still fine as it can be spaced out.
If you are truly annoyed by the "free" way out of the corner then try changing your game plan and intentionally pushing them to a specific corner. Tom Brady always pushes people to the corner without interactables to limit their options and has strategies for the corners that do, NJK the awning on Outworld Marketplace.
IMO interactables are good tools and NRS has done a great job in making them a fun and viable addition to MKX.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
Anti airing interactable divekicks you need to properly spaced and commit to the read, if i knocked someone down with johnny cage ran in and f3 for example, if they have 2 frames to jump they're out the corner, or i eat a interactable divekick.

My issue with it is that if you're baiting a wakeup, they basically get out for free as you need to be spaced perfectly and its a bold as fuck read as if they do an empty jump or air special you're getting punished.

I completely agree with the ex version but the normal one i just dont get why its invincible.

Its effectively an special with like 2 frames before invincibility starts up and is plus on block and hard as shit to antiair, oh and it costs no meter.

Anti airing interactable divekicks you need to properly spaced and commit to the read, if i knocked someone down with johnny cage ran in and f3 for example, if they have 2 frames to jump they're out the corner, or i eat a interactable divekick.

My issue with it is that if you're baiting a wakeup, they basically get out for free as you need to be spaced perfectly and its a bold as fuck read as if they do an empty jump or air special you're getting punished.

I completely agree with the ex version but the normal one i just dont get why its invincible.

Its effectively an special with like 2 frames before invincibility starts up and is plus on block and hard as shit to antiair, oh and it costs no meter.
Most character s have a safe meaty set up of one of their knock down I still don t see how it s free

Wigy

There it is...
Most character s have a safe meaty set up of one of their knock down I still don t see how it s free
But im saying they shouldnt force you to limit yourself to a meaty without spending a bar. You knocked them down, you get them in the corner they shouldnt be able to get that stupid divekick out if they have any space.

In any game meta is an invincible plus on block divekick okay? How??!

But im saying they shouldnt force you to limit yourself to a meaty without spending a bar. You knocked them down, you get them in the corner they shouldnt be able to get that stupid divekick out if they have any space.

If you let people escape from the corner meterlessly TBH it s on you that has never happened to me after I put someone in the corner and I ve never escape unless other mindgames were in play ( someone staggering or an opponent blocking because they were expecting a WU)
Edit: btw when i was talking meaties I meant to check the EX one because it s the only one that help u escape

Last edited:

xSamuel

To me it sounds like you're trying to force oki that you aren't guaranteed. Interactables can be easily stopped during their start up from a meaty. If the opponent reads that you're respecting their wake up then they should get rewarded. If you read that they are going to try to use the interactable on wake up then you get a punish. I don't see the problem. If you don't want them using that interactable then try to push them towards the other corner or beware of their options off the interactable.

Wigy

There it is...

If you let people escape from the corner meterlessly TBH it s on you that has never happened to me after I put someone in the corner and I ve never escape unless other mindgames were in play ( someone staggering or an opponent blocking because they were expecting a WU)
Oh please even meterless you need reads. Its just stupid and obnoxious to say u always keep them in the corner every time.

If they have any space they can interactable jump which means if you try run in with an advancing normal they will sponge it in inv frames and kick you.

If you're in their face its not as much of an issue, though it creates an extra meta if you're baiting wakeups.

It should only be ex.

Wigy

There it is...
To me it sounds like you're trying to force oki that you aren't guaranteed. Interactables can be easily stopped during their start up from a meaty. If the opponent reads that you're respecting their wake up then they should get rewarded. If you read that they are going to try to use the interactable on wake up then you get a punish. I don't see the problem. If you don't want them using that interactable then try to push them towards the other corner or beware of their options off the interactable.
My issue is the invincibility frames, and geez its hard enough getting people to the corner with jc in this new meta nevermin the right corner and jc's grab is a fantastic 0 on hit. Cant do any meatys there can i.

im not tripping here xarakama was using it all the time and agreed it was dumb af

xSamuel

My issue is the invincibility frames, and geez its hard enough getting people to the corner with jc in this new meta nevermin the right corner and jc's grab is a fantastic 0 on hit. Cant do any meatys there can i.

im not tripping here xarakama was using it all the time and agreed it was dumb af
Okay so there's two scenarios.
1. You throw them and you are close enough for your meaty to catch them trying to push a button on wake up
2. You are too far away and have to respect/space the interactable.
I understand how frustrating it would be to have an opponent just get out or get free pressure but seeing as how NRS probably isn't going to change them I'm just trying to help figure out a solution. My thought is to just work on the distance the divekick covers so you can space it if you realize you aren't going to be able to catch them. If they try to regular jump out then NJP on reaction to the flipping motion.

Oh please even meterless you need reads. Its just stupid and obnoxious to say u always keep them in the corner every time.

If they have any space they can interactable jump which means if you try run in with an advancing normal they will sponge it in inv frames and kick you.

If you're in their face its not as much of an issue, though it creates an extra meta if you're baiting wakeups.

It should only be ex.
The invincible frames are only in the beginning If there s space this wasn t the reason why they avoided you they were out of your reach

Wigy

There it is...
The invincible frames are only in the beginning If there s space this wasn t the reason why they avoided you they were out of your reach
I use f3 ex fb, the f3 comes out, they invinicile through it the f3 and go flying over my head. This has happened numerous times, got to the point in one set vs my friend who always used i would do f3 flip (the inv frames taking the f3 then they get launched by the flip)

I use interactable jumps all the time with takeda and can cancel into like 3 different things in the air 2 of which will blow up a spaced njp anti-air attempt.

Wigy

There it is...
Okay so there's two scenarios.
1. You throw them and you are close enough for your meaty to catch them trying to push a button on wake up
2. You are too far away and have to respect/space the interactable.
I understand how frustrating it would be to have an opponent just get out or get free pressure but seeing as how NRS probably isn't going to change them I'm just trying to help figure out a solution. My thought is to just work on the distance the divekick covers so you can space it if you realize you aren't going to be able to catch them. If they try to regular jump out then NJP on reaction to the flipping motion.
Do you think it should have inv frames on startup?

Wigy

There it is...
Dont even get me fucking started on kitana with these interactables. She should be banned from them. You're an idiot to even try to antiair her.

xSamuel

Do you think it should have inv frames on startup?
In theory, I don't agree with the idea of giving meterless invincibility frames because you're granting everyone a trait that's unique to Smoke. However, I am not under the impression that the invincibility frames come on start up of the interaction, meaning it doesn't ruin oki. Correct me if I'm wrong; you can hit people out of using an interactable on start up but after that it is invincible for a few frames making the divekick difficult to deal with.

In theory, I don't agree with the idea of giving meterless invincibility frames because you're granting everyone a trait that's unique to Smoke. However, I am not under the impression that the invincibility frames come on start up of the interaction, meaning it doesn't ruin oki. Correct me if I'm wrong; you can hit people out of using an interactable on start up but after that it is invincible for a few frames making the divekick difficult to deal with.
you are correct

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
You're saying you wont take advantage if your opponent in the corner? Lol, that's somewhat part of the footsies game. Play a good midscreen game and if you find your opponent in the corner go ham. True to MKX having insane OH/lows but a lot of other games don't give you armor to freely escape. A win is a win no matter where you are positioned on screen.
I would as it is a part of the game plan - you are missing my point. I am too lazy to go over this again, you'll have to live with that.

Wigy

There it is...
Its invincible on startup.

Wigy

There it is...
Okay so i was playing versus a bot, obviously yes, its a bot and has stupid reactions but i was doing 11 pressure with jax, the bot blocked the first 11, used the interactable and the second 11 completely got sponged by inv frames.

So so so stupid. You can just hammer it if theres a gap in pressure and have a free get out.