What's new

Should armor option selects be in the game?

Wigy

There it is...
Lets be serious here. Anything that takes a massive element of execution out of the game, shouldn't be in the game, especially when it is not only easy to do but risk free for a number of characters.

Also as a johnny main. I waaaaanaaaa seeee youuuu pressssureedd bitttcchesss

Last edited:

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
@Barrogh

Good points and I was looking at it from the wrong view I guess because I was thinking of reversal in general and armoring the gaps by committing to it not the actual OS where you input the special and it comes out only when there is the gap and blocking if not.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Lets be serious here. Anything that takes a massive element of execution out of the game, shouldn't be in the game, especially when it is not only easy to do but risk free for a number of characters.
It goes way beyond execution-heavy pressure though.
For what it's worth, I also could make a case that RCs are overcomplicated in this game for the sake of it, but this is a topic for another place and time :p

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
It goes way beyond execution-heavy pressure though.
For what it's worth, I also could make a case that RCs are overcomplicated in this game for the sake of it, but this is a topic for another place and time :p
Yes....stance switch button=run button and I'll leave it like that and won't derail any further

Error404

Noob
How'd you get to that conclusion?
When I play Jolt, it's gotten to the point where I can't even tick throw into command grab anymore.
Every single time I do it, EXRoll. When I don't he blocks the string. So long as he has a bar of meter I'm liable to be punished.

I'm surprised you have the opinion you do, since with practice you can do the same thing to SR Takeda's close kunai/mid kunai.
Ironically the only other option select left in the game is for command grabs lol.

Vithar

Evil but Honest!
I know they help balance some characters like Kobu Tanya, Quan Chi, and supposedly Tempest Lao, but should those characters be balanced without the use of option selects? From a design standpoint it really doesn't make sense because technically as long as it's possible you should be option selecting every time you block anything since armorable gaps open up a lot of times at certain specific distances with certain strings and specials that you might not know about.

It also doesn't make sense that there aren't mixups where the developers intended there to be mixups because of the ability to option select armored moves. On top of that there are lower tiered characters that are hurt by it too I'm sure. It's just weird for there to be a gameplay mechanic where you have to mash buttons while you're blocking just to eliminate some offensive threats, especially since it's hard on the thumbs to do a lot and very risky if you mess it up.
Option Selects have no place in this or any other Competitive Fighting Game.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I think you have to be more specific to the actual gaps and armors being used. Like I'm not going to cry about Tremor's f121 DB2d having a gap that can be abused like this, I can block, I can use a different move, ect.

omooba

fear the moobs
Yes because they help immensely to balance out Kobu Tanya.

From a design standpoint, option selects are not good in fighting games anyway. I find this armor option select extremely hard to perform (especially online naturally), which makes the Kobu-Me matchup about 8-2. I'd much rather have this option select removed and your example characters balanced in some other way that doesn't require this option select.
even after the nerfs you think this is needed to balance her?
also thin about what this does to tarkatan and erron black(pre and post patch)

omooba

fear the moobs
was about to make this exact thread, mods would've been so pissed
Street Fighter player: "He was mashing DP, so I stopped my pressure and got a full punish."

NRS player: "He was mashing armor, so I made a thread on TYM."

There is a huge risk to mashing armor. (unless your armor is safe, which is another discussion)

Unless you're talking about something else?
not necessarily, someone like erron can't bait you armoring his command grab because that point in the string can't be staggered. same with alien

I think they are fine because the armour can be baited. It's not a bug or a glitch, it's just buffering an armoured move and holding block after it so that if there's a gap the move will come out. This exists in other games too. The reversal can be baited and punished.

It's like crouch techs in SFIV - a good tool to use, but you can be blown up for it if the person knows you're trying to do it.
again not everyone can bait armor.
there are more important things to discuss, like how stupid fucking jumps are and how jumping needs to be nerfed
you think something in the game that wasn't intended to be in it is more important than something that was intended?

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
was about to make this exact thread, mods would've been so pissed

not necessarily, someone like erron can't bait you armoring his command grab because that point in the string can't be staggered. same with alien

again not everyone can bait armor.
you think something in the game that wasn't intended to be in it is more important than something that was intended?
Actually, everyone can. But they just can't do it from every tool they have. Like Erron's 21122. If the person is OS the grab and you know it then just don't grab them from that string. Try using pokes. Try another string.

omooba

fear the moobs
Actually, everyone can. But they just can't do it from every tool they have. Like Erron's 21122. If the person is OS the grab and you know it then just don't grab them from that string. Try using pokes. Try another string.
well yeah you can not use the string. it's just 21122 is arguably erron's best variationless tool and not being able to use one for your tools because of an exploit is pretty bad
if they left his 211 tick throw as his only tick throw on the string and made it -5 then it wouldn't be so bad but eh

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
well yeah you can not use the string. it's just 21122 is arguably erron's best variationless tool and not being able to use one for your tools because of an exploit is pretty bad
if they left his 211 tick throw as his only tick throw on the string and made it -5 then it wouldn't be so bad but eh
I didn't say don't use the string, I said don't grab them if they're doing it every time. It's still a good string to use. Erron still has his 50/50's and whatnot.

omooba

fear the moobs
I didn't say don't use the string, I said don't grab them if they're doing it every time. It's still a good string to use. Erron still has his 50/50's and whatnot.
not being able to use it to it's fullest* lol and his 50/50's are sketchy midcreen. i'm not talking about the character as a whole. it's more the concept. aight what about tarkatan his entire gameplay revolves around rekkas so this doesn't just shit on one aspect like erron

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
even after the nerfs you think this is needed to balance her?
also thin about what this does to tarkatan and erron black(pre and post patch)
Now that Kobu has been nerfed it is far less necessary. As such I'd be fine with removing it at this point.

Goat-City

Banned
Jumping attacks got nerfed last patch. MKXL patch, it's much easier to AA now but buffing aas a bit more wouldn't hurt.
Agreed, uppercuts need to beat jump kicks and be extremely effective vs jump punches, much more so than they are now..

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Agreed, uppercuts need to beat jump kicks and be extremely effective vs jump punches, much more so than they are now..
I disagree about jump kicks. jumping kicks are an alternative to stuff out aas since most dont combo and are - on block anyway. but jumping punches should get beat out by regular aas like d2s and standing pokes.

so basically jump punches gets aa on reaction.
jump kick beats aa as an alternative.