What's new

Shinnok vs. Shao Kahn

Who SHOULD win?

• Total voters

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
This is the correct answer.
Quan and Shang are the only two villains to really accomplish anything of note in the narrative.
That's not true.

Shao Kahn, prior to MK1-3, had many wins (Edenia, Zaterra, Osh-tek, Kytinn). Post MK3 though, he successfully retook over Outworld (MKDA), then defeated all comers to win the battle of Armageddon.

Shinnok successfully took over the Netherrealm prior to MK1, and successfully orchestrated Shao Kahn's fall in MK3. He also successfully took over Edenia and assaulted the Heavens in MK4. And while you may be able to make the argument that Shinnok couldn't have done any of that without Quan Chi, Shinnok was the brains (Quan was truly a devoted follower), and Quan needed Shinnok's power (and Shinnok himself) to close the deal on all of that. Shinnok was Quan's source of power. Without Shinnok, Quan wouldn't be nearly as scary (shown in MKX). Oh, and Shinnok also orchestrated much of what happened in the MK Armageddon story line too.

Even in the new timeline both these guys had big wins. Shinnok did successfully defeat both Raiden and Fujin (twice) to reach Earth's Jinsei chamber, but was beaten by plot in the end. And Aftermath showed us that Kahn was still a bad ass, defeating everyone he cam in contact with, but was ambushed by a Titan level Shang Tsung in the end.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
That's not true.

Shao Kahn, prior to MK1-3, had many wins (Edenia, Zaterra, Osh-tek, Kytinn). Post MK3 though, he successfully retook over Outworld (MKDA), then defeated all comers to win the battle of Armageddon.

Shinnok successfully took over the Netherrealm prior to MK1, and successfully orchestrated Shao Kahn's fall in MK3. He also successfully took over Edenia and assaulted the Heavens in MK4. And while you may be able to make the argument that Shinnok couldn't have done any of that without Quan Chi, Shinnok was the brains (Quan was truly a devoted follower), and Quan needed Shinnok's power (and Shinnok himself) to close the deal on all of that. Shinnok was Quan's source of power. Without Shinnok, Quan wouldn't be nearly as scary (shown in MKX). Oh, and Shinnok also orchestrated much of what happened in the MK Armageddon story line too.

Even in the new timeline both these guys had big wins. Shinnok did successfully defeat both Raiden and Fujin (twice) to reach Earth's Jinsei chamber, but was beaten by plot in the end. And Aftermath showed us that Kahn was still a bad ass, defeating everyone he cam in contact with, but was ambushed by a Titan level Shang Tsung in the end.
I respectfully disagree.
Furthermore, your whole life is a tissue of lies.

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

(S)teel (V)alley (K)ombat
That's not true.

Man, that brings up a series of interesting points and I'm not sure where to begin. For starters, the gods of MK are a joke compared to the mortals. I mean...Sindel pretty much bent Cetrion, an Elder God, over and took the booty no lube whatsoever. That disturbs the hell out of me to no end, because we were made to believe that if the Elder Gods ever decided to get involved in any way, shape or form that it was pretty much a wrap for all parties involved. We went from watching Shao Kahn get destroyed in MK9 with a super charged Raiden acting on behalf of the Elders to them being able to stand toe to toe with them in Aftermath. Johnny and Cassie kind of make a case, since they were bred to battle gods or whatever....without being gods themselves? Who or what has the power to empower mortals to do battle with gods if not the elder gods? Maybe the Titans, but that whole idea just feels shoe horned into the narrative overall at this point. I could even see the Cages battling gods and what not, but Johnny and Cassie defeated a powered up Shinnok, which again, is another of the Elder Gods.

I kind of thought the whole point of Mortal Kombat was so that mortals actually stood a chance against these otherwise god-tiered beings, because outside of that, they stood no chance whatsoever. I keep thinking that when the rites of Mortal Kombat are evoked, a god or god-like being was stripped of most of their divine powers and only allowed a certain tier of power achievable by mortal hands, thus, allowing equal footing. The way the story is going now, I'm not so sure that Mortal Kombat was much of an option at all, because according to NRS, gods are pretty much long-lived super powerful mortals that can be overcome by a certain class of beings once they achieve a similar rank, tournament be damned.

Onilordasmodeus

Man, that brings up a series of interesting points and I'm not sure where to begin. For starters, the gods of MK are a joke compared to the mortals. I mean...Sindel pretty much bent Cetrion, an Elder God, over and took the booty no lube whatsoever. That disturbs the hell out of me to no end, because we were made to believe that if the Elder Gods ever decided to get involved in any way, shape or form that it was pretty much a wrap for all parties involved. We went from watching Shao Kahn get destroyed in MK9 with a super charged Raiden acting on behalf of the Elders to them being able to stand toe to toe with them in Aftermath. Johnny and Cassie kind of make a case, since they were bred to battle gods or whatever....without being gods themselves? Who or what has the power to empower mortals to do battle with gods if not the elder gods? Maybe the Titans, but that whole idea just feels shoe horned into the narrative overall at this point. I could even see the Cages battling gods and what not, but Johnny and Cassie defeated a powered up Shinnok, which again, is another of the Elder Gods.
First let me say I agree with you completely. Both MKX and MK11 really threw a wrench in the idea of what an Elder God is...but then again, so did MK4.

In MK4 the canon ending was that Liu beat Shinnok...alone, and honestly THAT never sat well with me even though Liu is the Chosen One, AND my favorite character. Regardless though, I think Aftermath did a good job putting things in perspective. Let me explain...

Cetrion.

Look again at the island fight in Aftermath...it was a tag team battle. Sindel, with the power boost she was given in MK9, and Nightwolf, a character empowered by the "Great Spirit" (another god-like being of Earthrealm), fought against Cetrion and put her on the back foot. THEY didn't beat her, they held their own and pushed her back. , and if you pay attention, to the cut-scene before it, when Cetrion was talking to Kronika, Kronika mentioned that Sindel was one of the few mortals who could hurt her. Just like MKX showed us with JC and Cassie, powerful magic can hurt the EGs, and I think obviously Sindel and Nightwolf qualify for that. But in the end, it took both of them, plus Fujin, and Shang to put Cetrion down and send her back to Kronika. Also remember that in the base MK11 story, Cetrion told to Raiden that the the EGs power was fading due to Kronika.

So yeah, as lame as it may seem, we have story evidence that Cetrion was weakened during all of MK11, and that powerful enough spells, powerful enough magikal artifacts, and/or magikal beings who are powerful enough can affect even the gods.

Who has the power/ability to empower mortals to stand against the Gods?

Sorcerers do. Quan, Shang, and Shao Kahn prove that (though Shao is a special case).

"Free roaming sorcerers" (which Quan and Shang are) are powerful beings, and there are many others who wield powerful magiks that exist in the MK-verse. "Sorcerers" were the mortals who the Elder Gods called upon to create the portals throughout the realms (so they were weaving the fabric of space together). Blood Magik, was show to be VERY powerful, and we know that mortals who wield it (Havik, Kotal, Reiko, Skarlet) have all been shown to be able to stand up to the gods. Even Raiden himself turned to sorcerers (the Hauon) / their artifacts (the Hauon chains) when he wanted to resurrect Liu Kang's body with no soul in it.

Through out the history of MK, powerful Magiks have been said / shown to be able to stand up to the gods.

I kind of thought the whole point of Mortal Kombat was so that mortals actually stood a chance against these otherwise god-tiered beings, because outside of that, they stood no chance whatsoever. I keep thinking that when the rites of Mortal Kombat are evoked, a god or god-like being was stripped of most of their divine powers and only allowed a certain tier of power achievable by mortal hands, thus, allowing equal footing. The way the story is going now, I'm not so sure that Mortal Kombat was much of an option at all, because according to NRS, gods are pretty much long-lived super powerful mortals that can be overcome by a certain class of beings once they achieve a similar rank, tournament be damned.
Again, I agree with you completely. I thought EXACTLY the same thing...but really that was never written anywhere. That is only what made sense with the info we had (not much by the way). But now, NRS is showing us what we kind of didn't want to accept, that the mortal body of the gods, even Elder Gods, is in fact vulnerable, and so Mortal Kombat is a thing for them too.

Apparently the EGs didn't want to enter the realms because they didn't want to unwittingly bring back the One Being, but also they can become vulnerable under the right circumstances. When up against a certain tier of power, even the EGs have to take notice and take caution. This was the whole point of Armageddon right? That powerful mortals could shatter the realms? So a plan was put in place to stop them.

And always remember, that the power that mortal wield, comes from the One Being. A being who off rip can affect the gods. It all makes sense if you take everything into consideration, but yeah, it is all VERY convoluted, and barely really explained.

Last edited:

R00KI30FTH3Y3AR

(S)teel (V)alley (K)ombat
I like you, because you understand exactly the set of issues I have with where the lore started to seriously overcomplicate/contradict itself post-Mk3. It shouldn't even be an issue as to who would overcome who as far as Shinnok and Shao Kahn goes, because based on the lore alone Shinnok would curb stomp Shao Kahn into the next millennia!

Let us start with MK4 as a base launching point to why I don't get this whole "Oh, the divinity we've been told to revere so much since the series' inception are now obsolete in the face of powerful enough magik and/or certain circumstances. Sub-Zero pretty much stomped out half of the known elemental gods by himself in their own temples! There are so many things wrong with this I won't even bore you with the details, which I'm sure you already know. They have eons of kombat experience, hand to hand and otherwise, and the homefield advantage! What in the entire eff?! I guess we just needed to move the narrative along, so I can forgive those oversights for the sake of Mythologies. They never even address, as you said, the exact set of circumstances under which Liu defeated Shinnok, but he's been my favorite character since the first game, so I can forgive that as well.

I dig the fact that you mention the sorcerer's part in the downfall of the gods, but then that spawns a whole other mess of issues because who was it that taught these sorcerer's the magik they use in the first place? That's right....THE GODS! Shao Kahn, a god, taught Shang Tsung the art of soul manipulation and presumably a plethora of other kinds of magik as well. The same can be said for Skarlet with her use of blood magik, too! So you mean to tell me that the big boys gave the babies guns and were content to think that they wouldn't somehow turn that back around on them in some kind of shape or form at some point in time? If one thing we know about Kahn, it's that he's a meticulous planner and infinitely devious to the point that I find it hard to believe that the conqueror of entire worlds would teach his underlings how to ultimately undermine him without SOME kind of back-up plan being set in place.

Quan-Chi would've served as some kind of wild card, what with him being the whole reason that Shinnok was released from the NetherRealm and all, only for us to observe the fact that Shinnok was the source of Quan-Chi's power in the first place! Let's not forget that the only reason that Quan-Chi was even able to check Shinnok once upon a time was with the aid of Shinnok's own amulet. It literally took the power of a god to defeat/overthrow him, and that makes sense with the whole Deadly Alliance scenario since Quan-Chi used Shinnok's magik in conjunction with Shang Tsung's to overthrow Kahn. Shinnok is a much bigger dog, and thus, able to teach a far more potent form of magik as it relates to taking on lesser deities.

And what about this "Great Spirit" of Nightwolf? Where is did this being come from, and who is she? Why haven't we seen her commune with the other gods since they've pretty much brought most of Earth's hierarchy to the forefront? Methinks the Deus Ex is strong with this one, eh?

I've ranted enough, but the bottom line is that I don't like how NRS is just basically throwing away any semblance of respect/reverence we were told to have for the gods by allowing them to give mortals the tools to undermine them for the sake of advancing the story along! These beings created the very fabric of reality and then just pissed away the keys to the kingom by giving them to mortals? Okay....

I like this thread. Love mk lore. I literally think every character is legit and could really run their own stand alone comic. Such awesome lore in mk and I'm glad they've continued with it too. Also shao Kahn bodies. Especially pre Uno reverse shao but yeah their are some crazy things happening. If it wasn't for character chaptes I promise you their wouldn't be as many confusing plot oversights ( I'm not gonna call them plot holes)

Pizza

Thrill Kill
While Shao Kahn is very powerful and has no problem in mocking the Elder Gods, I still think Shinnok is a bit more powerful than him. I'm trying to take into account every game they've been in.

I feel there is a reason Shinnok waited for Shao Kahn to be defeated on both timelines before making his move, I think Shao wins.
In the reboot timelines, Shinnok manipulated events specifically to bring about Shao Kahn's downfall so he wouldn't have to take him head on. Quan Chi then displays Shao's armour and Wrath Hammer as trophies in his Fortress.

That tells you how much the respected Shao, and how much of a threat they considered him.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
In the reboot timelines, Shinnok manipulated events specifically to bring about Shao Kahn's downfall so he wouldn't have to take him head on. Quan Chi then displays Shao's armour and Wrath Hammer as trophies in his Fortress.

That tells you how much the respected Shao, and how much of a threat they considered him.
After watching the Aftermath story, it seems Shao’s real power isn’t his strength or ruthlessness. It’s his ability to rally so many to his cause. Throughout MK11 and Aftermath, he easily and convincingly turns the crowds and Outworld warriors to his side.
That’s true power.

Onilordasmodeus

I like you, because you understand exactly the set of issues I have with where the lore started to seriously overcomplicate/contradict itself post-Mk3. It shouldn't even be an issue as to who would overcome who as far as Shinnok and Shao Kahn goes, because based on the lore alone Shinnok would curb stomp Shao Kahn into the next millennia!
Thank you! And yes, according to the lore and supposed power rankings,, Shinnok should roll over Kahn no problem. But that isn't the case any more, or at lease that isn't how we should have been thinking about this all along.

Kahn, at the end of MK9, I believe wholeheartedly would have eaten Shinnok alive, and most likely was more powerful than even Corrupted Shinnok.

Let us start with MK4 as a base launching point to why I don't get this whole "Oh, the divinity we've been told to revere so much since the series' inception are now obsolete in the face of powerful enough magik and/or certain circumstances. Sub-Zero pretty much stomped out half of the known elemental gods by himself in their own temples! There are so many things wrong with this I won't even bore you with the details, which I'm sure you already know. They have eons of kombat experience, hand to hand and otherwise, and the homefield advantage! What in the entire eff?! I guess we just needed to move the narrative along, so I can forgive those oversights for the sake of Mythologies. They never even address, as you said, the exact set of circumstances under which Liu defeated Shinnok, but he's been my favorite character since the first game, so I can forgive that as well.
Yeah, Mythologies never sat well with me either. I hate the fact that these "gods" have countless years of battle experience, yet a 20 to 30 something can stand a chance. It gets kind of old with the "the gods underestimate mortals" bit. You've also got to take into account that MK has always pushed these characters to be a cut above the rest. All champions in there own right. And now that MK11 makes them all out to be NOT just street level fighters, but straight up superhuman in many respects, I think the Mythologies pill is a bit easier to swallow.

Bi-han was the best of the best during that time frame, so now knowing that Fujin and the others were in fact vulnerable, coupled the fact that Bi-han really just had to get to the Amulet for Quan to just teleport in to swipe it...ehh...

I dig the fact that you mention the sorcerer's part in the downfall of the gods, but then that spawns a whole other mess of issues because who was it that taught these sorcerer's the magik they use in the first place? That's right....THE GODS! Shao Kahn, a god, taught Shang Tsung the art of soul manipulation and presumably a plethora of other kinds of magik as well. The same can be said for Skarlet with her use of blood magik, too! So you mean to tell me that the big boys gave the babies guns and were content to think that they wouldn't somehow turn that back around on them in some kind of shape or form at some point in time? If one thing we know about Kahn, it's that he's a meticulous planner and infinitely devious to the point that I find it hard to believe that the conqueror of entire worlds would teach his underlings how to ultimately undermine him without SOME kind of back-up plan being set in place.
The only thing I'd say here is that for Shang, Shao did have a contingency plan. Remember in Shang's Armageddon bio where after Shang died his soul appeared in front of Shao and Goro? As powerful as Shang is/was, Shao owned his soul, along with the souls of all his other minions at least in the old timeline.

Long ago I had pledged my soul to the emperor. That pledge was binding even beyond death. But if he were to die, so too would those who served him. At the time I believed it to be merely another empty vow, yet here I am. My soul has returned from beyond to rejoin Shao Kahn.
I highly doubt the NRS writers even remember this tidbit as it has never been even hinted at in the new timeline, but yeah, old-timeline Kahn thought of just about everything.

With some head canon we can excuse this, saying that when the EGs intervened and erased (?) Shao Kahn in MK9 that this somewhat saved the souls of all those that he bound to Kahn. Or when Shang killed Kahn at the end of Aftermath, Shang had just become so much more powerful that the spell just was ineffective. But yeah, this could have been retconned too. We just don't know.

Quan-Chi would've served as some kind of wild card, what with him being the whole reason that Shinnok was released from the NetherRealm and all, only for us to observe the fact that Shinnok was the source of Quan-Chi's power in the first place! Let's not forget that the only reason that Quan-Chi was even able to check Shinnok once upon a time was with the aid of Shinnok's own amulet. It literally took the power of a god to defeat/overthrow him, and that makes sense with the whole Deadly Alliance scenario since Quan-Chi used Shinnok's magik in conjunction with Shang Tsung's to overthrow Kahn. Shinnok is a much bigger dog, and thus, able to teach a far more potent form of magik as it relates to taking on lesser deities.
Agreed. Shinnok has the power to reshape reality to his whim (see what he did to the Netherrealm in Mythologies), but you can make an argument for Kahn that he grew way beyond his original station with all his conquests. Again, it was never stated / explained, but in MK3 Kahn didn't just take all the mortal souls of earth, but when he merged Outworld with Earthrealm, he was essentially expanding is territory / influence in the realms.

And what about this "Great Spirit" of Nightwolf? Where is did this being come from, and who is she? Why haven't we seen her commune with the other gods since they've pretty much brought most of Earth's hierarchy to the forefront? Methinks the Deus Ex is strong with this one, eh?
Maybe. In a few of the intro dialogues NW talks about the Great Spirit with Fujin, who says that he fought along side her many times in the past. It definitely is a new thing in MK11, but I think they are setting her up as a being who no longer wants to be involved with anything, so she just will her power to another to have access to..

Another thing though, apparently there are even MORE earth gods than we know. In one of Fujin/Nightwolf's dialogues, Fujin asks him if there are other gods in his pantheon, to which Nightwolf says yes. So we could have a full on Olympian / Egyptian / Norse / etc. type thing going on in MK, and had never known it.

I've ranted enough, but the bottom line is that I don't like how NRS is just basically throwing away any semblance of respect/reverence we were told to have for the gods by allowing them to give mortals the tools to undermine them for the sake of advancing the story along! These beings created the very fabric of reality and then just pissed away the keys to the kingom by giving them to mortals? Okay....
I get you, but I don't agree with this. If anything I feel that the new NRS has empowered the mortal characters even more to stand against the gods, rather than de-power the gods to stand against mortals. The EGs have there rules, and for the most part they stuck with them...to not get involved. They did give a push in the beginning by calling upon the sorcerers, and they did appoint protectors to each realm, but yeah, that was about it until the MK tournament was a thing (as far as we know). I just wish they would explain more, and use the facts already on the table to do so.

• Talk about the One Being and how it is a part of all the mortals.
  • Explain the distinction be an EGs and a "demi-god" (that one still kills me).
  • Really explain why god are vulnerable in their "mortal" forms
  • Explain the tiers of power in the verse
Honestly this is all why I want the MK encyclopedia to be a thing, for nothing less than I want the MK team to HAVE to write some of this stuff down and set it into stone.

Onilordasmodeus

After watching the Aftermath story, it seems Shao’s real power isn’t his strength or ruthlessness. It’s his ability to rally so many to his cause. Throughout MK11 and Aftermath, he easily and convincingly turns the crowds and Outworld warriors to his side.
That’s true power.
True. This is one of the other redeeming things I feel they did for Kahn in Aftermath. In MK9 they really made him look like the bad-ass of old (while pawning off some of this "accomplishments" off to other characters), but MK11 seemingly stripped him of EVERYTHING save his strength, and made him kind of an idiot. Glad to see they did that at least.

Last edited:
That’s true power.
Well yes and no. One of the reasons they went over to him is because they didn't want him to kill them.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Perhaps she's knows the Elder Gods are bitches and thus she is too Gucci for them.