What's new

Shao Kahn's Base Body

This just reignites my curiosity. Have we ever gotten any insight into what race Shao belongs to? Have they ever said?

He looks very dragon-like here.
There's been a lot of back and forth and it'll probably be retconned in the future anyways.

He's been portrayed as outworlds previous protector deity (akin to Raiden for earthrealm) having served under Onaga. So basically his race hasn't ever really been defined aside from being called immortal. This was mostly sourced from MK: Deception and a few other games.

In regards to his appearance he's always had the weird dragon-ish face and head bumps (see 1995 comic below) but it's only in mk11 is where they've amp'd up his body to be more dragon like. He's never actually been described as half-dragon/human, that's a common mix-up between him and the shokan (shao kahn~shokan)

Is it intentional to play into the future story or is it just further artistic interpretation, who knows?

My no proof theory is it all has to do with Onaga. (like Goro was possessed by Onaga, died and Onaga then possessed shao khan)

*Fun fact: everyone from outworld was originally suppose to be Baraka's race.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Would be nice a helmetless gear.
This is the only helmetless/maskless gear in the game I'd like to see. All the maskless gear (aside from maybe Skarlet) looks weird to me, especially Sub-Zero and Scorpion - there's looks absolutely ridiculous.

Shao would look dope without his helmet.

There's been a lot of back and forth and it'll probably be retconned in the future anyways.

He's been portrayed as outworlds previous protector deity (akin to Raiden for earthrealm) having served under Onaga. So basically his race hasn't ever really been defined aside from being called immortal. This was mostly sourced from MK: Deception and a few other games.

In regards to his appearance he's always had the weird dragon-ish face and head bumps (see 1995 comic below) but it's only in mk11 is where they've amp'd up his body to be more dragon like. He's never actually been described as half-dragon/human, that's a common mix-up between him and the shokan (shao kahn~shokan)

Is it intentional to play into the future story or is it just further artistic interpretation, who knows?

View attachment 17058View attachment 17059

My no proof theory is it all has to do with Onaga. (like Goro was possessed by Onaga, died and Onaga then possessed shao khan)

*Fun fact: everyone from outworld was originally suppose to be Baraka's race.
When did Onaga possess Goro? I know he possessed Reptile in the original timeline...

And yes. The original Shao Kahn sketch by John Tobias had him as Tarkatan (before they were called Tarkata).

When did Onaga possess Goro? I know he possessed Reptile in the original timeline...

And yes. The original Shao Kahn sketch by John Tobias had him as Tarkatan (before they were called Tarkata).
It's all kinda vague.

Goro had his arms ripped off by Kotal during the MKX comic series and seeks of Daegon expressing interest in Onaga's regenerative abilities.

Sheeva has several intros in MK11 that imply Goro was possessed by Onaga and tried to burn down outworld but it didn't go well and he is now rotting (evident by his corpse in the stage)

It's all kinda vague.

Goro had his arms ripped off by Kotal during the MKX comic series and seeks of Daegon expressing interest in Onaga's regenerative abilities.

Sheeva has several intros in MK11 that imply Goro was possessed by Onaga and tried to burn down outworld but it didn't go well and he is now rotting (evident by his corpse in the stage)
Okay. I own the Mortal Kombat X comics, so I know Goro went to Daegon for aid at comics' end, offering Kenshi as a "trade," but of course that plot arc ended there and we know Kenshi ended up fine since he's in the present day events of Mortal Kombat X.

For Multiplayer intro dialogue, I take those with a large grain of salt as to actual story canon.