What's new

Shao Kahn Match-Up Thread

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Lets discuss and share information on specific characters here. This a place to ask for help, give advice, share knowledge, experience and insight on anyone you've fought in the past month. I don't want to get into Match Up numbers because I think it's too early and will take much more time but there's nothing wrong with discussions about them, please keep this positive and productive.

I'll start this off

Scorpion
One of the most common characters you'll run into, Scorpion can be very annoying to fight against. He has true staggers, good pressure, a cancelable teleport, and not to forget advancing mids...

Scorpions F3(Mid Kick) is -2 on block so only press buttons if you make the read and know he's gonna stagger

His first option of F3 is F3,4 which has push back but has a gap so can be flawless blocked.

next is F3,2 which is his mid,overhead, low option. It is -25 so Shao Kahn can punish with anything up close.

If he staggers F3 into throw you have to guess and duck for Uppercut KB or try and ready to the throw. However if you fail the tech then Scorpion has In on next forward throw which does bleed damage so get ready to duck those throws or tech with 2.

if you block F3,2 from max range you can punish with shoulder, not many characters have that luxury.

Spear is punishable by shoulder from mid range

I forgot the input but he has that chain swing that hits like 3 times , that's also punishable by shoulder from any range

Initially block low because he has a low starter but on second hit block high. He can mix it up with B3( OH Flame Kick) but it is reactable and I heard can be anti aired

I don't recommend using uphammer against Scorpion because he can teleport through the gap and full combo you.

Teleport and Ex teleport is easily punishable by S1 even online. Just make sure to wait that extra second to see if he hits ex teleport.

But overall just play it safe and solid it's going to be a neutral heavy game , Scorpion is probably going to take more risk trying to open you up so try your best to capitalize off mistakes.

Last edited:

Olcadan13

mkx apologist
my worst matchup is always kitana, don't know yet if its truly bad for shao or if i'm just truly bad

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
my worst matchup is always kitana, don't know yet if its truly bad for shao or if i'm just truly bad
Yea she was giving me issues too, my gameplan against her is never jump and play super patient . Since her fans are a high she has to get in and fight up close and you could FB the overhead in her B3 string. You can also punish her butt special with shoulder

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
My worst MU is probably JC cause of his damn hitbox issues. Everything fookin whiffs.

Seem to have the most trouble with Jacqui, cant figure out when to poke out when she is doing cancel after cancel.

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Having a lot of problems with a good Kabal right now. How do you guys deal with this annoying AF character?
You have to play real patient and get past the zoning, so alot of crouching and dash blocking.

Then when you finally get in you gotta out play him in footsies n stay in his face.

If you knock him down hes basically dead, even his Up3 is punishable so his only good option is roll and u can read those. After he realizes you know to punish his up3 hes gonna start rolling and delaying getup which is good lol

But try to keep him cornered and pressure him, he wants to be full screen against SK. I hope that helps

stokedAF

casual kahnage
The worst matchup for me is a good scorpion and a good kabal. Kabal is a dirty bitch and I have no idea what to do.

The funnest matchups are noob and kung Lao. When somebody picks them I’m thanking the elder gods.