What's new

Shao Kahn hammer throw pressure? Loop? Mindgame? Gimmick?

KutlessMyth

mental and fundamental
So I was in KL tonight and I ran across a Shao Kahn. Run of the mill and I didn't think anything outstanding of their neutral (no offense). I played Johnny because Shao's hitboxes actually allow me to be plus. Anyways in the MU I found myself not knowing what to do when shao kahn threw his hammer up into the air and it comes down a bit later. I couldn't make heads or tails and it lost me the set to be sure.

TL;DR I wanted to know what was up? is it plus? is it a mindgame? do I press? can he press while the hammer is up? What are your options and what are mine as the opponent? What is the mindgame? Or is it a gimmick? Someone share your wisdom with me please.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I actually ran across a Shao in KL today too who did this and I was kind of at a loss as to what to do. I suck too bad to flawless block it so I am not sure what I should do, just block and hold that?

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
So is there any solution besides Uppercut trade? Because when you're low on health and dude just starts doing this I don't know what to do besides trade and die. It's even worse on the corner. Unless I'm missing something I don't see how to get out of it besides "just FLB" which isn't always an option.

I like rarely ever face the character which doesn't help matters.

Did this move get patched at some point recently, perhaps with the recent PC/Switch bugfix and performance patch? It's now -1 on stand block on my PC version, making it noticeably less gimmicky depending on character/position. At first, I thought it might have been another accidental or glitched patch reversion, but everything else looks up to date.

Side note to those blocking it, if you're too late to or can't move and don't want to trade hits, stand block instead of crouch block for better frames at least.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Did this move get patched at some point recently, perhaps with the recent PC/Switch bugfix and performance patch? It's now -1 on stand block on my PC version, making it noticeably less gimmicky depending on character/position. At first, I thought it might have been another accidental or glitched patch reversion, but everything else looks up to date.

Side note to those blocking it, if you're too late to or can't move and don't want to trade hits, stand block instead of crouch block for better frames at least.
It was always -1.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Guys, there is aproximately a 20 frame gap between the two hits on block. This move is death against someone decent.

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
d2 will work for every character like most have said already but your character might also have another option. Basically do something to move out of the way or trade with as much damage or/and plus frames. Scorpion can teleport punish, some advancing mids may move you out of the way. Maybe some throws too.

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
They could take out the gap so you're always -1, but wouldn't be as much fun.
Nah. IMO it should be plus on hit and either cancel like you said for a bar or maybe allow Shao to hold it for a few seconds and release or press a button to set it off similar to Takeda's tri-kunai or like Kung Laos's MB TP.
I haven't thought through all the implications of him holding it yet, that could be too broken potentially. But it's an idea! haha