What's new

Shao Kahn Discussion Thread

I think they buffed his retard to work properly . F34 beeing -12 i dont rly understand especialy since it still has a gap . F34 1+3 can be punished aswell by neuytral ducking the grab part. B3 change is ok but nothing too massive . His armor breakers are good . Dunno , kinda expected a lil bit more from this patch.

Seems like Shao got a few buffs here with Aftermath, but still seems underwhelming to me. Granted I haven’t played it yet, just reading the patch notes didn’t seem like we got a whole lot
Correct, his B3 isn't bad now and f34 1+3 having grab properties is nice on top of special cancel mind games, he has definitely moved up slightly but I do believe the f34 FB gap still exists.

Also I tried to test jailing into s1 on poke - looks like it still doesn't work, but my results may not be true. Can anyone confirm? Also s1 still whiffs on certain crouch blocking characters (small female hitoxes IE jacqui).

Don't get me wrong, he is definitely a better character now and I will be playing my main a hell of alot more, but still definitely not top tier

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
Anyone else having trouble with his armor break? This seems like a shit mechanic thus far.

I take him into the lab, set the dummy to Breakaway (tried both fast and delayed), launch them and all that seems to come out is the shoulder. I never get the additional downward slam into the pop-up. What is this shit? What am I doing wrong?

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Hid dmg output is through the roof now guys. If he touches you two times, in risen emperor, and it happens that you dont have breaker, 80% of your life is gone. He hits like a truck.

I also dont agree that they nerfed the block adv of f34, but there are certain mindgames now. What i mean:

After f3 on block, his stagger is legit now, if you can condition your opponent. That wasnt the case before cause you couldnt cancel off f34.

Even more of a reason now to use more throws so you can open them up with f34. His throw game has skyrocketed now.

Since he has 2 armor breaks right now opponent might not break away immidiately.

He seems way more viable right now but he requires great conditioning.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Anyone else having trouble with his armor break? This seems like a shit mechanic thus far.

I take him into the lab, set the dummy to Breakaway (tried both fast and delayed), launch them and all that seems to come out is the shoulder. I never get the additional downward slam into the pop-up. What is this shit? What am I doing wrong?
I noticed that as well off f21 into shoulder combo. Dxamp wont come out,. Weird. F21 into scum grab is unbreakable though.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
F34 doesn't cancel into anything if flawless blocked. Not even the grab lol. GGs.
It's still a great change. The purpose of it is to easily hit confirm the F3,4 into a launch.

Edit: Didn't realize they made it less safe on block. My bad. That's fucking stupid.

Last edited:

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
Hid dmg output is through the roof now guys. If he touches you two times, in risen emperor, and it happens that you dont have breaker, 80% of your life is gone. He hits like a truck.

I also dont agree that they nerfed the block adv of f34, but there are certain mindgames now. What i mean:

After f3 on block, his stagger is legit now, if you can condition your opponent. That wasnt the case before cause you couldnt cancel off f34.

Even more of a reason now to use more throws so you can open them up with f34. His throw game has skyrocketed now.

Since he has 2 armor breaks right now opponent might not break away immidiately.

He seems way more viable right now but he requires great conditioning.
Wow your right, day one thoughts are that he has probably the most insane damage output off everything now. His armor breaks are looking really good, Scum grab can get almost breakaway situation. F3 meaty or punish has risky mind games with high reward and damages now so people wont mash as much. B3 is amazing imo , footsies solid, f2 doesn't whiff on block anymore so stagger is even better now.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Haven't had a chance to play it yet...

What is the Scum Grab armor break effect? And what kind of damage comes from it?

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor

He can't amp shoulder charge on a airborne opponent if the opponent breakaway.
You can only get armor break after the first hit of amplify shoulder charge connects before the breakaway.
It will be mostly used with any grounded normal or string that doesn't launch the opponent before first hit of shoulder charge if you planned to amp it like f34, bf3(A)D string on read.
If they use breakaway after a up amp shoulder charge or any launching krushing blow you can use scum grab or skewered if third variation is selected.

Haven't had a chance to play it yet...

What is the Scum Grab armor break effect? And what kind of damage comes from it?
Scum grab armor break doesn't launch its just the normal scum grab that can catch the opponent during breakaway. You can amp it though for additional damage.
I believe the damage output for it is still the same depending on scaling.

Last edited:
Alright wow so in V3 i think his strongest tool is his anti break away db1. Its pretty easy to catch opponents trying to break away after amped BF3 or the B3 part of the combo. Whether they break fast or delay it its not hard to catch them with a dash up db1.

BUUUUUUTTT it does not connect on female or small hitbox characters if they break away immediately. Or at least it is so tight to dash up db1 i am unable to do it. But so far it seems not possible mid screen. It looks like the db1 reaches at too high up of an angel.

So super, duper great fuckin job NRS. Do they not test their own patch??

EDIT: I may have been too hasty in this. Theoretically its possible to immediately break away but I've yet to play someone that does it.

Last edited:

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
He can't amp shoulder charge on a airborne opponent if the opponent breakaway.
You can only get armor break after the first hit of amplify shoulder charge connects before the breakaway.
It will be mostly used with any grounded normal or string that doesn't launch the opponent before first hit of shoulder charge if you planned to amp it like f34, bf3(A)D string on read.
If they use breakaway after a up amp shoulder charge or any launching krushing blow you can use scum grab or skewered if third variation is selected.

Scum grab armor break doesn't launch its just the normal scum grab that can catch the opponent during breakaway. You can amp it though for additional damage.
I believe the damage output for it is still the same depending on scaling.
Thanks. Yeah I got 30 mins in last night and saw the bad news. Was hoping you could get a normal into SG Armor Break (which you can't from what I saw).... And I was hoping it had a new property. Ah well.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
I think I blew my load too early on the Shao buffs.

B3 feels so good to hit confirm from his kb's especially mid screen and getting 50% 1 bar in the neutral is completely satisfying with his kb's. Saving that meter for wake up instead of using it for extended amps has really brought Shao up a level.

The f3 4 cancels feel so good. Having players deathly afraid of the throw making them neutral duck just means more d4's into shoulder amp even with f3! I see the give & take with making it -12.

Still wish they would look at 21 & 23 respectfully as well as extensions on up wrath and lunge. Regardless Shao is mopping up far more than before.

I'm thinking of picking up True Kahn again has I think it's now more well rounded.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
The new shit be s1~f3 once I see the hit confirm bam! Even if they block it I try for d1 right after.

His B3 tho... It feels real good confirming off of his throw kb. It's feels a bit better then dash s4.

I just have to get used to using B3 more in neutral and not pressing dash s4 like I'm conditioned too lol.

Dukmunky

Arms Dealer, including all 4 of Goro's
Am I missing something or is True Kahn variation still in the relatively unviable state it was in prior to the update?