What's new

Shao Kahn Discussion Thread

My advices to you:
  1. When the opponent is blocking grab or u3.
  2. Vs zoners trade one spear and get in.
  3. Never use 3rd variation, stick to Risen Emperor.
  4. Spam NRS with complaints and wait for patches.
All these technics are very well known to me, however the efficiency is low cuz those are very predictable. Grab - ducked, u3 - too slow. u+2 (overhead hammer smash is faster, still avoidable). What SK needs is overhead attack that can be converted into combo.
vs GOOD zoner wont work - Skarlet, Kabal, Jade, Noob, Liu Kang, etc - you wont even have time to trade. Look at VideoGamezYo - the only option is to dash into, overjump. Blocking won't help - strong stagger.

Anyway, I do understand what you saying, I am just trying to say that SK has really nothing to put against vs these cheap tactics.

Zviko

Noob
Does Shao have an unblockable special in 3rd variation? I don't have him so I can't lab (the worst idea ever btw). I keep getting hit by the last hit of some new special move he has and I have no idea how to avoid it.

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
Looking for anyone on Xbox to help me up my game with Shao Kahn I would prefer somebody that has experience using him and can give me some pointers on what to do and what not to do I prefer that you play me first to see what you think I need to work on

So, I waited for the PC patch to verify this, but this change in the recent v1.14 patch: "Jump Kick attacks can no longer be canceled into grounded special moves upon landing when blocked or Flawless Blocked" means we can option select our jump-in kicks into bf3 (or any other special) so we don't have to hit-confirm them. Just finish inputting the bf3 after the jump kick connects and then input whatever you would want to come out on block. If the kick hits, the bf3 will come out and won't be overridden by any following inputs. On block or whiff, the bf3 input is completely ignored. Doesn't matter how high or low the jump kick hits, either.

Yeah... been waiting for people to comment on how the jumpkick option select has changed their life. Only a few characters benefit from it a lot, but shoulder charge boi here is one of the lucky ones.

Popegina

Hymen Holocaust
I'm a Shao Kahn main, plus I'm not very good at the game. I'm having difficulties figuring out what to do during his D2 KB while the enemy is in the air. His startups are too slow and I whiff during it all the time. Any suggestions on what to do while the enemy is in the air during that KB?

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
I'm a Shao Kahn main, plus I'm not very good at the game. I'm having difficulties figuring out what to do during his D2 KB while the enemy is in the air. His startups are too slow and I whiff during it all the time. Any suggestions on what to do while the enemy is in the air during that KB?
For True Khan you can use the below:

For Risen Emperor the below:

If you are interested in learning more for Shao Khan, check kombatakademy.com for Shao Khan.

SOULWARRIOR 71K

XBL: SOULWARRIOR 71K PSN: SOULWARRIOR71K
For True Khan you can use the below:

View attachment 16578

For Risen Emperor the below:

View attachment 16579

If you are interested in learning more for Shao Khan, check kombatakademy.com for Shao Khan.
The only thing I would change is that last combo in risen emperor that does 487 damage. Instead of ending with d2, if you are mid screen end with b2 db3 (498 damage) and in the corner end with s4 db3 (507 damage).

Nevan_PTF

All your mains belong to me!
I took those from kombatakademy, so I really don't know how to optimize Shaos damage xD

But good suggestion tho! Hope it helps fellas still playing him.

Yamborghini High

Live and Die by the Shimmy
Yeah seems his only reliable way to use S1 is to jail off D4, B2, or a Jump in. Then I guess once they respect the plus frames the mixups could be:

142 (completed mid overhead string although has a lot of recovery if whiffed due to jumping so 12 may be a better option)
S1 into throw
S1 into D4
S1 into Hop Attack (Hop 2 has the best range but hop 3 animation is really subtle)
S1 walk back B4 (beats people who disrespect the plus frames and try to mash it)
S1 walk back B2 (beats people who disrespect the plus frames and try to mash it except you can confirm into a full combo punish)
S1 into F3 (this is usually my main mixup tool bc it keeps them guessing even further whether F34 is completed or not AND if you make a read you can full combo off a 10 frame mid)
S1 into 44 (very underrated string which is +6. Even more mind games once they respect this but that is a whole nother thing entirely)

Last edited:

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
i dunno what to think about the F3 changes. having 1+3 always be a throw now seems like a double-edged sword with F3 and F3,4 not being great. Be interesting to see how it plays out.

z Ruin z

Noob
Seems like Shao got a few buffs here with Aftermath, but still seems underwhelming to me. Granted I haven’t played it yet, just reading the patch notes didn’t seem like we got a whole lot

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
It's not enough. The f3 change being -8 is wasn't needed.

F34 still has a massive gaps, both hits can still be flawlessed blocked. Why not add the cancel and keep either keep the fb and reduce the gap?

Still has huge gaps in 21, 23 & 24. Just reduce the gaps?

True Kahn now's seems more viable than Risen Emperor now. Even with that they didn't even touch his buffs at all?

Like... Do I have to wait till next year for him to be fixed?

The patch is underwhelming.