What's new

Shao Kahn Discussion Thread

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
Holy shit, did they give him the seeking hammer? I'm hyped! I like the move and with adjustments it's his best hammer move imo.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
SK dmg in 3rd variation is actually legit. He deals almost the same dmg as RE and in the corner he hits like a truck. The only issue is the 20% dmg throws and annihilation KB with Dark Priest.

Spear Charge seems faster than before. You can actually land it from a jk into a full combo. The only issue is that its EXTREMELY tight (if possible at all. Regular sc seems to connect, but mb doesnt for some strange reason) to land it from a b3 probably cause of its start-up frames.

Seeking hammer seems legit as a counter zoning tool. Other than that, his style has not changed much.

He is in better shape than NS's and NW 3rd variations lol.

NothingPersonal

SK dmg in 3rd variation is actually legit. He deals almost the same dmg as RE and in the corner he hits like a truck. The only issue is the 20% dmg throws and annihilation KB with Dark Priest.

Spear Charge seems faster than before. You can actually land it from a jk into a full combo. The only issue is that its EXTREMELY tight (if possible at all. Regular sc seems to connect, but mb doesnt for some strange reason) to land it from a b3 probably cause of its start-up frames.

Seeking hammer seems legit as a counter zoning tool. Other than that, his style has not changed much.

He is in better shape than NS's and NW 3rd variations lol.
B2 got some recovery reduction, so now it's easier to confirm b2 after b3 on hit, which cancels into amp sc perfectly.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
prob a little outdated but saw this video recently... looks like SK new variation is pretty awesome

NothingPersonal

Ok. Spear charge got better. But that is all. 3rd variation does less damage and has less krushing blows. I don't know man, if I don't find a better use for seeking hammer imma stick to Risen Emperor. And why True Kahn didn't get any buffs is beyond me.

As feared, spear charge didn’t get changed enough to make up for its shortcomings when compared to shoulder charge. I do think this variation may be a little more user friendly for people who can’t land some of the more complex two meter combos with Risen Emperor but I otherwise don’t see what it brings to the table.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
seems the pressure and corner game is way better in this variation though.

Right, I should mention corner damage is really good in this variation but to really get there you have to give up the corner which is sort of annoying.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
New variation pretty awesome? What are you talking about? Its worse than variation less shao due to shoulder being replaced by this trash spear charge thats worse in every way:

• slower
  • lower juggle
  • cant mb twice in a combo so for 2 bars you are forced to side switch
  • have to commit to the mb
  • doesnt hit as low to the ground at the end of juggles
The move is literal trash. Adcantage ender? Are people insane? Plus 33 on spear charge is nothing, up hammer is plus 44 so use that for safe jumps and adcantage instead of using it for fake pressure.

What about his pressure is better? Doing yolo -17 spear charges? Is that what they mean? He legit says you have to respect meaty raw spear charge after aa spear ender as if that means anything, they already have to respect yolo shoulder thats nothing new. Also aa spear being plus 19 on hit isnt new either, both scum grab and annihilation are plus 19 too. Does nobody understand this character????

NothingPersonal

New variation pretty awesome? What are you talking about? Its worse than variation less shao due to shoulder being replaced by this trash spear charge thats worse in every way:

• slower
  • lower juggle
The move is literal trash. Adcantage ender? Are people insane? Plus 33 on spear charge is nothing, up hammer is plus 44 so use that for safe jumps and adcantage instead of using it for fake pressure.

What about his pressure is better? Doing yolo -17 spear charges? Is that what they mean? He legit says you have to respect meaty raw spear charge after aa spear ender as if that means anything, they already have to respect yolo shoulder thats nothing new. Also aa spear being plus 19 on hit isnt new either, both scum grab and annihilation are plus 19 too. Does nobody understand this character????
I kinda agree with you. What they should've done is make the spear cgarge safe on block, but leave it start slow and make the seeking hammer grant a d1 on block in the corner so that you get the opponent in the corner with spear charge and combo them for free. Otherwise it only remains to buff the seeking hammer so it recovers faster so you can get plus frames upclose and counte-zone faster to make this variation different from others.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I kinda agree with you. What they should've done is make the spear cgarge safe on block, but leave it start slow and make the seeking hammer grant a d1 on block in the corner so that you get the opponent in the corner with spear charge and combo them for free.
What they should of done is all that
and make f34 special cancel
f3 9 frames
Dark Priest buff is the same frames as Scorpions spear buff
Taunts are the speed of current Dark Priest.

It wasn't hard to do these things. He would not of been OP, he just would fit into the game.

NothingPersonal

Also spear charge should've had a bigger range. I don't ncessarily want f34 to cancel as much as it being safer on block.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Also spear charge should've had a bigger range. I don't ncessarily want f34 to cancel as much as it being safer on block.
look man
I don't think spear charge should ever of been a thing in the game.
SK is ICONIC for the shoulder charge and the up shoulder charge. He lost the up charge for reasons unknown and gained this odd priest thing that makes no sense.

its a sad day to watch Kotal become a monster.

NothingPersonal

look man
I don't think spear charge should ever of been a thing in the game.
SK is ICONIC for the shoulder charge and the up shoulder charge. He lost the up charge for reasons unknown and gained this odd priest thing that makes no sense.

its a sad day to watch Kotal become a monster.
I agree. But with the current system of custom variations they had to come up with something. I dig the priest refference myself.

Wetdoba

All too easy...
The shadow priest are shaos personal battle mages and have been around since MK2 on the portal stage, they are easily one of the hypest things he has going for him. I 100% agree this retarded spear charge replacing iconic shoulder is absolute trash design and he should have had up shoulder as a gear move instead

SOULWARRIOR 71K

XBL: SOULWARRIOR 71K PSN: SOULWARRIOR71K

• slower
  • lower juggle

This guy gets it. There was literally no reason to replace the shoulder charge. And we did not need another side switching move. We already had the anti air grab and f34 1+3.

NothingPersonal

Best Shao Kahn variation: Annihilation, Shadow priest and Ridicule. You get all the damage, all the best tools and get to taunt them on the finish him screen if it is needed.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Best Shao Kahn variation: Annihilation, Shadow priest and Ridicule. You get all the damage, all the best tools and get to taunt them on the finish him screen if it is needed.
I would play this variation even with the shit shitty shit shit buff times.

oh well.

My guess is that because he was a pre=order they will def. keep him weaker.

z Ruin z

Noob
Here’s a crazy idea. Give him more crushing blows on his base moves. I’m thinking shoulder charge down amplify. Give people more of a reason to use it.
I also hate how his new variation moves literally just replace 2 he already has. They should be combined into a single selection so he can get at least another unique move added.

Here’s a crazy idea. Give him more crushing blows on his base moves. I’m thinking shoulder charge down amplify. Give people more of a reason to use it.
I also hate how his new variation moves literally just replace 2 he already has. They should be combined into a single selection so he can get at least another unique move added.
This. It is literally the exact same game play as the other variation, just worse. If it gave him something new to offset what’s being lost then that would be something and maybe there’d be a reason for it, but there’s not.

I really cannot understand why they made SK so weak...Others getting crazy 3rd variation and SK is getting crap. I do main SK, I love this character and here is my opinion on 3rd variation:

• you have to commit to Spear Charge - you loose one bar on block or miss
  • you give up one KB, the one with Dark Priest or Taunt. They didn't give him any other KBs in exchange
  • Hitbox is reduced with spear charge
  • seeking hammer is too slow, low damage, not amplifiable and easy to duck
My main ideas on SK:

• Has no easy KB
  • Small amout of KB
  • Slow attacks
  • 80% of attacks can be sit blocked or ducked. I have so many opponents who just sit block and u can do nothing.
  • no real 50/50
  • no combos that start from low
  • most of low/overhead are last attack in combo and easy blockable/avoidable
  • Projectiles are not amplifiable
  • Spear is easily avoidable even if its mid
  • Relatively small damage on combos, mostly cannot finish with KB
  • Actually can do nothing vs good zoner
I am so freaking pissed they made SK like this. He is an Emperor, Top 10 villain of all times. Conqueror of the realms...cmon...even Kotal is getting better...

You play with cheap opponents who spam you or do their easy KB, I loose, I yell, I cannot stand this injustice, but I still will not give up SK.

And look at VideoGamesYo - he's best SK in the world, but there is no way he can do Sonya, Geras or others A-S tear chars with SK on tournaments.

NothingPersonal

I really cannot understand why they made SK so weak...Others getting crazy 3rd variation and SK is getting crap. I do main SK, I love this character and here is my opinion on 3rd variation:

• you have to commit to Spear Charge - you loose one bar on block or miss
  • you give up one KB, the one with Dark Priest or Taunt. They didn't give him any other KBs in exchange
  • Hitbox is reduced with spear charge
  • seeking hammer is too slow, low damage, not amplifiable and easy to duck
My main ideas on SK:

• Has no easy KB
  • Small amout of KB
  • Slow attacks
  • 80% of attacks can be sit blocked or ducked. I have so many opponents who just sit block and u can do nothing.
  • no real 50/50
  • no combos that start from low
  • most of low/overhead are last attack in combo and easy blockable/avoidable
  • Projectiles are not amplifiable
  • Spear is easily avoidable even if its mid
  • Relatively small damage on combos, mostly cannot finish with KB
  • Actually can do nothing vs good zoner
I am so freaking pissed they made SK like this. He is an Emperor, Top 10 villain of all times. Conqueror of the realms...cmon...even Kotal is getting better...

You play with cheap opponents who spam you or do their easy KB, I loose, I yell, I cannot stand this injustice, but I still will not give up SK.

And look at VideoGamesYo - he's best SK in the world, but there is no way he can do Sonya, Geras or others A-S tear chars with SK on tournaments.
My advices to you:
  1. When the opponent is blocking grab or u3.
  2. Vs zoners trade one spear and get in.
  3. Never use 3rd variation, stick to Risen Emperor.
  4. Spam NRS with complaints and wait for patches.