What's new

Shang tsung got Footsies! Basic Set ups and Tech

Just what I was looking for! I'm new to fighting games from a competitive standpoint so was having a hard time figuring out his best buttons, getting poked out of F2 constantly was frustrating. Thank you for this information.

Scorpions F34 has a Flawless Blockable gap. Tsungs B22 doesnt and you arent going to be going for F242 (Tsungs flawless blockable gap) on a whiff punish (F24 cancel into full combo is more likely) with him so it is better than Scorpion. F24 and B22 are also both hitconfirmable.

Tsung has an amazing antiair with Standing 3 also. Has an amazing hit box is seems hitting at every range D2 can except right next to them and/or crossovers which is what Standing 1 is for. 314%/300%/292% with 1 bar is great.
Stand 3 xx DB1 Amp Dash Standing 4 xx Db1F/BF4/BF2

Most characters have a way to get out of a down poke into ground eruption that they can react to fairly easy with little practice. Ive been noticing it isnt very good against high level players.

I think he has great footsies. He also has B3 which acts like your fast mids did in MKX. If your opponent is mashing down pokes you can go into B3 full combo (B3U4 if they dont know about the gap) or B3D4 and the overhead is easy hitconfirmable. They are both safe too so win/win I guess.

Last edited:

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Scorpions F34 has a Flawless Blockable gap. Tsungs B22 doesnt and you arent going to be going for F242 (Tsungs flawless blockable gap) on a whiff punish (F24 cancel into full combo is more likely) with him so it is better than Scorpion. F24 and B22 are also both hitconfirmable.

Tsung has an amazing antiair with Standing 3 also. Has an amazing hit box is seems hitting at every range D2 can except right next to them and/or crossovers which is what Standing 1 is for. 314%/300%/292% with 1 bar is great.

Most characters have a way to get out of a down poke into ground eruption that they can react to fairly easy with little practice. Ive been noticing it isnt very good against high level players.

I think he has great footsies. He also has B3 which acts like your fast mids did in MKX. If your opponent is mashing down pokes you can go into B3 full combo (B3U4 if they dont know about the gap) or B3D4 and the overhead is easy hitconfirmable. They are both safe too so win/win I guess.
Tsung's B22? Do you mean B11?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
No problem. If you find anything else let me know. I only have about 500 games played with him. Need more tech against matchups for sure.
I do actually. Maxmillion discovered in his stream which he called a "bug"

But basically....if you hit d4, it can jail into KB B1U2....well.....it was SUPPOSED TO except it does NOT give you the KB requirement, even tho the first hit whiffs. I think its stupid but whateva.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard

B112 has a gap that can be flawless blocked. B11 is -17. F243 is the safest string on block. I play Spellmaster so I have safe special cancels though.

Absolutely agree with stand 3 as an anti-air and stand 1 for crossups. Stand 1 and stand 2 are both trash against straight up jump ins.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Just some stuff I found playing around with our new DLC
Let me know what you think
Just a few tips, glad you made the video and put in the work to help others,. With that said there are a few problems:

D4 xx DB1 doesn't combo and will usually be blocked. Along with knowing that you should also know its very punishable even from that range.
  1. The first Ground Skull can be dashed after blocking it avoiding the second one making Shang -19 and full combo punishable.
  2. The second hit on block from DB1 after D4 is also punishable by Sub Zero. If its flawless blocked it can be punished by many in the cast. It turns it from -16 to -21 on block and sub has DAT slide reversal.
Also F2 on block is -3 not -4 but yes its great. I feel his B1 doesn't have that much range but his F242 has massive range but if they shimmy and cause Wiff on either of the two hits F24 it's full combo punishable about 20f window.

Again thanks for the video its always good to have more people get help.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Tsungs B22 doesnt and you arent going to be going for F242 (Tsungs flawless blockable gap) on a whiff punish (F24 cancel into full combo is more likely) with him so it is better than Scorpion. F24 and B22 are also both hitconfirmable.
Shang Tsung doesn't have a B22 its B11 and B11 is unsafe at -11 but is hitconfirmable but every special after is punishable (BF2/DB1/BF4/DF3)
There is a gap on B112:
B11(gap)2
Scorpions is -2 on block with massive pushback. I don't believe shanks is better but still good.

He also has B3 which acts like your fast mids did in MKX. If your opponent is mashing down pokes you can go into B3 full combo (B3U4 if they dont know about the gap) or B3D4 and the overhead is easy hitconfirmable. They are both safe too so win/win I guess.
yoU cAn use it seldomly vs good opponents but his B3U4/B3D4 us fuzzy guardable and is full combo punishable on reaction. There is a 16f gap to block both with fuzzy and 15f to anti air the U4 into full combo.
What I think B3 is stormy for is mixing your pokes to catch them counterpoking your D3. You can do a D3 to condition raw then later use B3 xx DB1 to catch counter pokes into full combo.

B11 is -17.
Its -11 on block

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Shang Tsung doesn't have a B22 its B11 and B11 is unsafe at -11 but is hitconfirmable but every special after is punishable (BF2/DB1/BF4/DF3)
There is a gap on B112:
B11(gap)2
Scorpions is -2 on block with massive pushback. I don't believe shanks is better but still good.

yoU cAn use it seldomly vs good opponents but his B3U4/B3D4 us fuzzy guardable and is full combo punishable on reaction. There is a 16f gap to block both with fuzzy and 15f to anti air the U4 into full combo.
What I think B3 is stormy for is mixing your pokes to catch them counterpoking your D3. You can do a D3 to condition raw then later use B3 xx DB1 to catch counter pokes into full combo.

Its -11 on block
Touche'

I remembered it wrong

There is a gap on B112:
B11(gap)2

Its -11 on block
Thanks, looks like I got some labbing to do and some reevaluation of my gameplay.