What's new

Shang Tsung 3rd variation

XxSYNDROISxX

For the Shokan since Mk3
What do you guys think his third variation is going to be I know a lot of people think he's going to get the ninjas but I honestly think he'll get the smoke and reptile what I'd like to see is that buff scroll but I honestly don't see that happening as it's pretty strong and the position which move in that same category

Hard to imagine his third variation won't be centered around the ninja moves as they have good synergy with each other. Not to mention that a ninja variation is highly requested from the community.

Shake is really good, but honestly Force Lift and Slide aren't the best as they currently are so I think it balances out.
Shake is not really good. Shake is slow af, half the time meter burn doesnt come out, some procjectiles cant be reacted to, lows destroy it. Its bad, really bad. Only works on spammers that dont know any better.

damn thought this was new lol. Necro’d by accident.

Last edited:
Shake is not really good. Shake is slow af, half the time meter burn doesnt come out, some procjectiles cant be reacted to, lows destroy it. Its bad, really bad. Only works on spammers that dont know any better
How is it slow? Do you really need a 1 frame projectile parry vs 90% of projectiles?

Just the threat of it gives you a huge advantage.

How is it slow? Do you really need a 1 frame projectile parry vs 90% of projectiles?

Just the threat of it gives you a huge advantage.
It really doesnt, its too slow on start up. It needs to be faster. Could be an online thing and lag, but if the lag makes it bad the move is bad. Also should last longer, especially if you meter burn it. I cant count how many times it runs out right as an attack hits. Almost looking like i just stood there and never used it at all. If it was good, then youd see it actually utilized to frightning degree. Do you? I dont, show me where people are using it and going “ damn that thing is making me scared”. Game is predominantly played online. Very few of us pay attention to tournament as far as popularity goes. Needs to be balanced accordingly. And the fact it takes up a slot in place of another move is also a slight against it if its going to be his toolset it needs to be just as threatening and good as say jacqui cancels, jax pressure, liu kang dominance with f4, kollectors weird moveset, scorpions unpredictability, etc.. shang poses no real threat the way he is designed once you understand him. Hes slow, his moves all have gaps, his range is like a t-rex boxing mr fantastic, and his slide doesnt go far enough, and is extremely slow and predictable outside b1 50 50, or combos.

its good that its extremely fun to play, thats its pro as while i love warlock games usually turn into contra or gradius. He needs changes to keep up with the gods of the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
It really doesnt, its too slow on start up. It needs to be faster. Could be an online thing and lag, but if the lag makes it bad the move is bad. Also should last longer, especially if you meter burn it. I cant count how many times it runs out right as an attack hits. Almost looking like i just stood there and never used it at all. If it was good, then youd see it actually utilized to frightning degree. Do you? I dont, show me where people are using it and going “ damn that thing is making me scared”. Game is predominantly played online. Very few of us pay attention to tournament as far as popularity goes. Needs to be balanced accordingly.
You can literally react to kabals buzzsaw with shake, this move helps shang tremendously in this matchup and I‘m pretty sure there are more projectiles you can react to.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Shake is not really good. Shake is slow af, half the time meter burn doesnt come out, some procjectiles cant be reacted to, lows destroy it. Its bad, really bad. Only works on spammers that dont know any better.

damn thought this was new lol. Necro’d by accident.
The timing to amp it is precise. It has to be immediately after you input the 3 in db3. If you do it at the same time it doesn't amp, if you wait too long it doesn't amp. Mashing r1 isn't reliable. It's literally db3r1.

It really doesnt, its too slow on start up. It needs to be faster. Could be an online thing and lag, but if the lag makes it bad the move is bad. Also should last longer, especially if you meter burn it. I cant count how many times it runs out right as an attack hits. Almost looking like i just stood there and never used it at all. If it was good, then youd see it actually utilized to frightning degree. Do you? I dont, show me where people are using it and going “ damn that thing is making me scared”. Game is predominantly played online. Very few of us pay attention to tournament as far as popularity goes. Needs to be balanced accordingly. And the fact it takes up a slot in place of another move is also a slight against it if its going to be his toolset it needs to be just as threatening and good as say jacqui cancels, jax pressure, liu kang dominance with f4, kollectors weird moveset, scorpions unpredictability, etc.. shang poses no real threat the way he is designed once you understand him. Hes slow, his moves all have gaps, his range is like a t-rex boxing mr fantastic, and his slide doesnt go far enough, and is extremely slow and predictable outside b1 50 50, or combos.

its good that its extremely fun to play, thats its pro as while i love warlock games usually turn into contra or gradius. He needs changes to keep up with the gods of the rest of the cast.
Too slow for you I guess but I wouldn't write that up as a character flaw.

You can react to literally every projectile that isnt instant, in 200+ ping, with Shake.

Too slow for you I guess but I wouldn't write that up as a character flaw.

You can react to literally every projectile that isnt instant, in 200+ ping, with Shake.
After hundreds of matches i find that statement to be false. Sure i may be bad, thats a possibility, but the move being under powered is also a posibility. since it is a core part of his gameplay there should be no projectile you cant react to if your paying attention and reading it correctly.

It‘s just an example of where shake is really useful. As I said I‘m sure there are more projectiles that can be stuffed on reaction.
One example is not all examples. Thats like saying, this fighter beat this champion that was undefeated so he can beat everyone. Where in reality, one guys beats an undefeated guy, but always gets destroyed by a guy that could never beat said champion. I think thats the analogy that makes the most sense.

The timing to amp it is precise. It has to be immediately after you input the 3 in db3. If you do it at the same time it doesn't amp, if you wait too long it doesn't amp. Mashing r1 isn't reliable. It's literally db3r1.
I know this pain lol. A good buff would be allow delay meter burn. Compared to most of the shenanigans and dirt i dont see how that could be detrimental. With lag i feel it comes out a lot more rarely. Which sucks. Make the right read, go right into normal shake and eat crow.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
One example is not all examples. Thats like saying, this fighter beat this champion that was undefeated so he can beat everyone. Where in reality, one guys beats an undefeated guy, but always gets destroyed by a guy that could never beat said champion. I think thats the analogy that makes the most sense.
On the other side a tool doesn’t need to beat everything to be good. You said there is no fear factor, in the kabal mu shake actually act as one and there are probably more than only this.

On the other side a tool doesn’t need to beat everything to be good. You said there is no fear factor, in the kabal mu shake actually act as one and there are probably more than only this.
That fear is all but eleminated once up close and kabal can abuse his plus frames, and its nkt that hard to get in on soul stealer. Im not a kabal player though. I have just played a lot of kabals. I feel you may be weary of it from mid to long range, other than that, non existant. Whats your take on getting in?

Sure i agree but when they design other tools for other characters to be good on anything it hurts this character. If they are not going to tone that stuff down, why limit shangs ability with subpar design choices? I personally want better for the character to hang with others. Being at the point of balance is great as tats what hes seen as by a majority of tier list theorists, but if mos others just completely outpace his potential why settle for such a low bar in comparison?

kcd117

Noob
Shake is the only good thing about this variation imo.

Lift has obnoxious dmg and dmg scaling that simply don’t make sense. He should be able to hit for low 30s with this move but he can barely scratch the 25 mark. I’ll not complain about the KB bc it can actually happen once in a blue moon, despite late blocking being the dumbest requirement in the game for a KB.

Slide is ridiculously slow. It’s even hard to link your combos into it bc it takes ages to come out. The KB is hell to space out and honestly if anyone gets hit by this shit they deserved to lose both bars of health and get auto tea bagged into a babality for how unpracticle this shit is.

Superkick is the single worst move in the game. Man, if paulo ever tried really hard to come up with something worse than this move he’d probably transcend into a new plane of existence bc it is humanly impossible to make something shittier than a move that:
Starts up in 28 frames
Doesn’t link from some of his best strings
Does low dmg
Scales hard as fuck
Is unsafe on block
Is unsafe on every cancel
Can be low profiled
Has a KB locked behing the requirement of your opponent being a neanderthal
Does 12% dmg on that KB and takes a bar if you want the pop up

Seriously, this variation is complete garbage. If it wasn’t for shake being a S tier neutral killer this would be worse than spellmaster.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I dont get why his 3rd variation doesnt allow for 30% damage? That should be the whole point to sacrifice all the zoning.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Superkick is the single worst move in the game. Man, if paulo ever tried really hard to come up with something worse than this move he’d probably transcend into a new plane of existence bc it is humanly impossible to make something shittier than a move that:
Starts up in 28 frames
Doesn’t link from some of his best strings
Does low dmg
Scales hard as fuck
Is unsafe on block
Is unsafe on every cancel
Can be low profiled
Has a KB locked behing the requirement of your opponent being a neanderthal
Does 12% dmg on that KB and takes a bar if you want the pop up
I still believe that Shapeshifter's Training is probably mid tier, but the super kick definitely sucks for all the reasons that you named.

In general, the ninja moves seem disappointing aside from the shake. They either have slow start ups, poor damage output, limited range, impractical krushing blow requirements, or all of the aforementioned.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I dont have him so i dont know the annotations, but i think they should make the pop up string a true launcher. Just one suggestion.

Zviko

Noob
It's not even worth going for Rain KB unless you have 2 bars to spend. The whole damage for 1 bar combo is even lower than what you get from S1 1 bar punish. That's just insane. So why would you go with a 28f mid after a Rain cancel if you can do 10f B3 or literally anything else and you'll get more damage for 1 bar.

Reptile is not that bad imo. Sure if you do it raw it's not that great but if you want the KB it's easy to combo into from superkick or D2 and B1D2 KBs. I guess that's the reason it's so slow. They want us to combo into it to get that KB. And if they make it faster, they'd need to change the KB requirement too. Maybe that would be better. You could even end combos with 3U2, Reptile instead of a boring D2. But I'd rather they keep Reptile as it is and focus more on Ermac and even more so, Rain.