What's new

Question Shake really better then Teleport punch?

Can you guys tell me why people think shake is better then telport punch? When people are doing range attacks vs me I usally just use the telport cause it is so fast a I dont have to time the shake with the projectille move. So I don't see a reason to use shake over telport cause shake has to be timed a telport I can just do better on reaction then shake.

low_kix

Noob
I'm not a smoke player, but off the top of my head I'm thinking the shake would be useful against sindels air projectiles

"I am vengeance, I am the night..."

Shake is guaranteed damage if it hits the projectile. You mistime teleport punch you will get punished. Then it's all about positioning: Shake will put you close and swap positions, great if your in the corner. Where as teleport punch will put you at range and push your opponent back, great to put your opponent into the corner. Both do the same damage.

It's all about situations.

Shake is a much better option than TP at countering projectiles. It has mostly the same reward with none of the risk. Shake is pretty much safe if you misread the opponent - you'll recover in time to block. TP is punished with a full combo if you misread the enemy.

TP has other uses that keep it relevant. It's a good wake up attack (only worse than enhanced shake, but that uses meter), it's a decent anti-air, and it can give you a better position during oki.

Shake is better at doing what it does than TP, but they're different tools with different applications, so they're not really comparable that way.

I like the shake for midscreen but if the opponent is in the corner you can combo down+1, smoke cloud after the teleport for come combos.

Shake gives better oki
Not hugely. After any landed TP you can whiff another one and be in pretty much the same spot. It's a plus, but the main plus is that it's safe if you whiff and gives you the punish if the enemy tries to punish it on reaction (you'll be able to block teleport slam, other TPs, etc in time).

Synraii

So Salty...
Whiffing a 2nd TP takes time, which could be put to better use positioning yourself or in my case to bait them into wakeup attacks XD.
The main reason why I don't use TP is because I've eaten 50%+ combos off Ermac players as punishment - and nobody wants to eat combos.
In most situations, shake is by far the safer option with equal reward, so why TP?
The only time I would even consider using TP against projectiles is to interrupt a reptile charging mega ball, otherwise no.

Whiffing a 2nd TP takes time, which could be put to better use positioning yourself or in my case to bait them into wakeup attacks XD.
Whiffing the TP puts you right next to them, which is optimal for wake up situations. You can still bait wake up attacks.

They give you pretty much the same advantage over the knocked down enemy. The same options are mostly available. The discrepency isn't huge.

The main reason why I don't use TP is because I've eaten 50%+ combos off Ermac players as punishment - and nobody wants to eat combos.
In most situations, shake is by far the safer option with equal reward, so why TP?
The only time I would even consider using TP against projectiles is to interrupt a reptile charging mega ball, otherwise no.
Yes, as I said before, that's the primary reason. It's a lot safer.

Ghostal

Noob
A couple things about shake.

* It can counter sektor's missile x-ray with regular shake
* Sektor's teleport punch cannot be punished by EX shake
* Raiden's torpedo move cannot be punished by EX shake
* Bomb's like Cyrax's and Scorpions Hellfire aren't punished by shake (I think these 2 are intentional)
* Can be glitched to do infinite shakes, but it's bug for all characters with moves like smokes.

Probably more stuff that is bugged or wonky about shake we don't know about.

I don't main him so I'm a complete noob when it comes to Smoke technology. But can someone explain to me how Shake and EX shake work exactly?

It only counters projectile type attacks right? I could've swear the CPU did a shake and countered one of my pokes or special moves (roll toss I think) so I'm confused now.. Sometimes it seems I can counter Shake, other times it seems to beat me.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I don't main him so I'm a complete noob when it comes to Smoke technology. But can someone explain to me how Shake and EX shake work exactly?

It only counters projectile type attacks right? I could've swear the CPU did a shake and countered one of my pokes or special moves (roll toss I think) so I'm confused now.. Sometimes it seems I can counter Shake, other times it seems to beat me.
The enhanced one counters physical attacks as well. Not all, but a lot.

Ghostal

Noob
Regular shake counters projectiles only, EXShake counters all moves except low kicks and X-Rays, and the stuff I mentioned above.

shake counter ALL projectiles but cant counter things like Ermac's TKS & TKP & :en Shake can counter normals

Ok thanks guys. Yeah that's probably what it was. So Ex Shake counters physical attacks as well. That's pretty nasty lol. Good move. :)

Ghostal

Noob
Yeah shake is weird with Ermac, The EX shake can counter throw attempts, but not tele-throws he employs which is weird.

Ermac's telekinetic moves aren't physical or projectiles, so no version of shake counters them. Shake only counters moves with the projectile property, and not every ranged special has that. Smoke bomb, soul steal, etc are moves that are ranged specials without the projectile property and can't be countered by shake.

Enhanced shake counters all physical attacks on startup (while he's moving his arms into the cross formation). After startup, it does not counter low physical attacks, but it still counters everything else that it counters during startup.

It's always a good idea to be very precise when describing moves so that you know exactly what it will beat and what it won't.

Can you guys tell me why people think shake is better then telport punch? When people are doing range attacks vs me I usally just use the telport cause it is so fast a I dont have to time the shake with the projectille move. So I don't see a reason to use shake over telport cause shake has to be timed a telport I can just do better on reaction then shake.
Just wanted to point out that it seems the OP's problem is that he thinks he has to time the Shake. Shake can be held for several seconds, so you can activate it long before any projectile hits you. This is the reason why Shake is extremely low-risk compared to teleport.

Ghostal

Noob
Anyone notice the first hit of smoke's teleport punch does zero chip damage?

Edit: I compared it to Sektor, Kung Lao, Ermac, and Scorpions teleports and they all do 2% on block, yet Smokes does 1%. It's so low the health bar doesn't even flash for chip damage like every other teleport I tested. Ones that do multiple hits, like Scorpion's EX teleport does 4% chip compared to our 3 hit EX teleport that does 2%. Any reason for this?