What's new

Match Footage ShadowBeatz vs FrothyOmen (Cyrax v Smoke) online casuals... 45 min long

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
3. standing 1 is swag to the maximum, don't knock it 'till you try it. It's got nearly 0 recovery frames, so it's super super easy to throw a few in here and there just to change the pace of when your opponent can jump/poke out. Because, lbsh, nobody's gonna try neutral ducking it
Honestly, the only use I see in that normal is to bait a D3. Since you're at 0, you can block low immediately, and counter poke. I don't see why anyone should respect it considering Smoke Bomb can't be hit confirmed into any of the 112 string, and completing the string not only does shit damage, but leaves you at massive disadvantage unless you hit confirm into Smoke Away. I suppose you can link it to SB the same way you can with D1, but do you really want to risk that over simply using 2(14) pressure, which is safer and more effective? =P

4. I do hit-confirm -_- imo you have to let that sb rip a lot ore often than not. It's only 1 more frame negative than b23, and you have to keep the opponent guessing on whether or not it's coming out after they block a b23. Once they are dead-set on blocking the SB, I can start doing riskier stuff off a blocked b23 like shake cancels, or going straight into a d3~grab or something like that. Once I get them scared of my follow ups/they realize (yo this niqqa is -8 i need to do something) I go back to letting the SB go. I'm not sure how I'd feel giving up that mindgame haha. Oh and also one of my favorite things to do off blocked b23sb is to immediately EX shake or xray. Sooooooooo many people get caught by it, It's unreal
You ever tried hit confirming B2 3 into Smoke Towards? If the opponent jumps late (likely, since they expect SB), you can dash into a D1/2 for AA. If they anticipate Smoke Towards after your string, and attack, you can teleport. And if they remain blocking, you can continue pressure. It's a set-up I used to swear by. Dunno how good it is offline. lol. Once they adapt, then you can let the SB rip. That, or Smoke Away.

Honestly, the only use I see in that normal is to bait a D3. Since you're at 0, you can block low immediately, and counter poke. I don't see why anyone should respect it considering Smoke Bomb can't be hit confirmed into any of the 112 string, and completing the string not only does shit damage, but leaves you at massive disadvantage unless you hit confirm into Smoke Away. I suppose you can link it to SB the same way you can with D1, but do you really want to risk that over simply using 2(14) pressure, which is safer and more effective? =P

You ever tried hit confirming B2 3 into Smoke Towards? If the opponent jumps late (likely, since they expect SB), you can dash into a D1/2 for AA. If they anticipate Smoke Towards after your string, and attack, you can teleport. And if they remain blocking, you can continue pressure. It's a set-up I used to swear by. Dunno how good it is offline. lol. Once they adapt, then you can let the SB rip. That, or Smoke Away.
lol.im not gonna argue that 1 is good, its a huuuge gimmick lol. and no,ive never tried that b23 trick but ill give it a shot thanks!

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
Beatz can punish Smoke bomb with Cyrax's 1? :S

Or was Frothy just trying to mash out another poke into Smoke Bomb :p

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
ShadowBeatz

1) There were a couple of instances where you could have won a round at an earlier point using unbreakable damage, like in the second match for example. I think you caught on to this after that happened, but all the same, always watch for opportunities.
If it's to win a match sure, but a lot of times I want my opponent to break just to spend the meter, especially if I need to win another round. All situational really.

2) After you nail a command grab, ALWAYS do a jump-in punch for a free mix-up consisting of either a command grab or 2 1 pressure. Hit-confirm to net if you see it land.
I feel there's more of a mix-up game with the dash. I can command-grab again, I can back-2 (forget about theory-fighting, it works XD), I can sweep, or I can cancel the dash with a jump an cross-over. Plus, EVERYONE does the jump-in after command-grab. It's a mind-game when you dash instead.

3) Sometimes you don't always have to follow with the throw after landing a Donkey Kick. Something I've often see Krayzie do after that attack is forget about the follow-up throw and go for a bomb set-up instead.
I do this too, just a matter of preference depending on the opponent

4) Polish up your combo enders. When ending an anti-air combo with a net, you should teleport, cross-up just as he bursts free from the net, and initiate pressure again.
I do this on occasion, but I'm also more comfortable with the command-grab/back-2 mix-ups (or the mid-bomb 212 ghetto reset). Once they start figuring out a pattern, I'll throw in a cross-up now and again.

I'd also like to see you cancelling your pokes into Cyrax's Buzzsaw, as it eliminates counter-poke attempts.
I do need to start cancelling pokes into saw more, I'll give you that. I also need to d4 more often too.

I don't mean any of this to sound offensive or unappreciative, because I really do appreciate how you took the time to analyze my play and give feedback on it and I thank you, sincerely. A lot of the stuff I do with Cyrax I do just for the sake of being unique. Sure, I'll do the occasional cheesy reset against an opponent I need to respect (like FrothyOmen), but most of the time, I'll choose not to and just do my own thing.

I'm not going to be a top player in the FGC. I don't have the time to put into the game and frankly, I don't want to. I hear about how these guys practice (or..."train") hours upon hours everyday, studying every detail so they can be the very best (THAT NO ONE EVER WAS!). That's all well an good, but that's not for me. I'm not going to win any majors or even place top 8 in any of them, so that's not my goal. That's not to say I want to suck and I don't want to get better (I mean hell, if I DO win a tourney then sweet :D), but I think someone saying "Hey, I've never seen anyone else do that with Cyrax" or "wow, you are one of the most unique Cyrax's I've played" is way better than hearing "And your winner of this tournament is ShadowBeatz." I know that those ghetto resets are unsafe, unguaranteed, and punishable as all hell, but they look SO COOL (that 212 reset is the best looking thing in the game ;)), and they work for me :)

ShadowBeatz

Beatz can punish Smoke bomb with Cyrax's 1? :S

Or was Frothy just trying to mash out another poke into Smoke Bomb :p
This confuses the hell out of me XD Frame data says it shouldn't work, but if it's a good enough connection I can get a punish in there. I was wondering if he was tryin to poke as well

ShadowBeatz

Oh, and

5) If caught in a 2 1 Net from Cyrax, unless he goes for unbreakable damage, wait for him to spend one bar of meter when he tries to complete the combo leading to his reset, and THEN break. That way, you make him trade one bar of meter for two rather than not trade at all. Fuck with Cyrax's meter game as best you can.