What's new

Setting Free Play on MK4 Rev. 3 [Need Help]

Hello everybody! I'm new here on this forum so "Yo" to all other members. So i'm in need of some help. I have a Mortal Kombat 4 Rev. 3 cabinet and I don't know how to set it to free play. It's my first (and probably last cabinet) so i'm not to familiar with inner workings of an arcade cabinet.

Thanks to anyone or everyone

Turn on MK4, skip the power up test and enter the test menu. Select Game Adjustments -> Free Play -> ON and you should be good to go.

To my surprise this doesn't seem to work in MAME.

I've tried that but every time I go back to the game it doesn't stick, and I have to coin it up. Hm I wonder what it could be.

That is strange... it works on my board, but it doesn't seem to work in MAME either. Are you set to CMOS coinage or Dip Switch Coinage? Mine's set to CMOS if that helps.

I'm not going to lie i'm totally new to owning an arcade cabinet so I don't know what CMOS coinage or Dip Switch Coinage is. But what I usually try it going into the settings and just try to set it to free play in the operators menu. Is there another way to set it?

Yeah, and I got it to work in MAME by switching it from Dip to CMOS so that could be your problem. Here's the deal: On the game board there should be two dip switch boxes located here:

Each box has a set of little switches you can turn on or off. Go into the test menu and pick Diagnostic Tests -> Dip Switch Test. There you'll see everything your board is currently set to. If Switch 2 #1 reads, 'USE DIP SWITCH COINAGE' you need to change it. I'm not sure which set of switches is which, but that screen will allow you to test them one by one until you find it. You should be able to flip them with your fingernail, if not you may need a small piece of plastic to help you. Keep turning them on and off until it looks like this:

Hit any button to continue, go back into Game Adjustments -> Free Play, turn it on again, exit the test menu and try it now. Let me know if that fixed it, but if it didn't there could be a bigger problem.