What's new

Match-up Discussion sektor problems

sumkindofdemon

Laughing Man
my friends sektor KEEPS KICKING my ass. i mean its not a flawless but its more of one of those he beats me wen he only has just a lil bit of health left round 3 always :facepalm:......i'd post more specific but im just pretty salty atm not gonna lie. any tips against him in general, playing against him online sucks balls

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Sektor TU, if not spammable, can be very dangerous, and sure, can make diference as a surprise factor in the end of match, when both players have very low health bar, and, the first one who make the right move, get it .....

Sektor TU , when timed correctly , can serves Sektor as an anti projectile zoning/spam, making Sektor dangerous, since the same move starts his juggle option for a good combo, hehe ..... :D

His Ex homing missiles are dangerous in the end of match, if Sektor has health bar advantage, the time is running out, and he decides to play "keep away" style ....

I hated Sektor as character, but, after dedicating time to learn the basics with him, I like him pretty much nowadays, IMO , despite he is no way a S tier, he still a very good and underused character in tourneys.

sumkindofdemon

Laughing Man
that................HELPED me in no way wats so ever lol but thanks for the tips i guess. its just that double low kick starter he always does its pretty fucking hard to get out of

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
You can zone pretty much most of this match, hit and run style. Stay more or less full screen when you can, dont try and force yourself to go towards sektor. His missiles are eaten up by shake, and teleport is quite easy to bait, just learn when your opponent likes to throw it out, some will up missile to bail your movement and then follow with a teleport. Dont become predictable with your ranged tactics, occassionally do a stance switch or just dash back and forward. You will be building meter and sektor can NOT zone you.

When you get into a jump distance situation respect his long ranged fast pokes, and dont get too jump happy because you will just get flame burnered (i do this alot you just need to learn not to do it really). The manouverability of your drifts and your whiff telepunch will keep sektor on his toes. He needs good spacing to keep up a decent amount of pressure so when you start zipping all over the place you will often see whiffed normals. You are the only judge of which to try and punish, but be careful because trying to smoke bomb a whiff against sektor has a bad habit of ending with you eating iaTU (instant air tele-uppercut), so watch for this and you can start to expect it. Anti airs with 2 and 214 are nice, so is air telepunch, but again be liberal with these because tele-uppercut is a tricky bastard. Use D4 and B2 to poke sektor on his approach.

In close range you need to pressure sektor hard, but with great caution. he has fast normals and some decent pressure setups which have you locked down unless you can mount a decent counter attack. The easiest and best way out of an upmissile trap is to EX Shake, so its always nice to have a meter in the can just for this purpose. Use your pokes, B2 and 3d12 pressure. If you feel like things are moving too fast for you and your pressures coming to an end, jump back kick >drift back and start your zoning again, or just plain drift out, but i like the jump kick for retreating from offence.

Sektors wake up options are limited, situational at best in this match. When you end a combo in an air throw >whiffed telepunch, sektors wake-up commands will be reversed, giving you a little bit of a break to add some oki pressure, but this gets old fast and they will catch on. If you approach sektor for oki, a common reaction is to flame burner, as this is a great wake-up for shutting down incoming threats. Not for smoke, you can drift completely invincibly through a flame burner with plenty of time to punish with full combo every time. Once this is respected, sektor will have to start using meter to get out of your pressure. If you see he has no meter, then he needs a very well timed wake up teleport for its invincibility to last out your pressure strings and pokes, so you are pretty well off here, and you can mix that up with just plain blocking on his wakeup and EX shake, (or do 3d1~ex shake for a ghetto bait, but its nothing fantastic)

Once you control the pace of the match sektor is in a very bad position, and should really only be getting you with well times instant teleuppercut into combo if he is at range, and these are full combos for you when you block them, so the risk v reward on sektors part is not good.

Hopefully someone of authority will move this to the matchup discussion thread, and people will also start posting in the right threads. But for now, hope this helps!

xenogorgeous

that................HELPED me in no way wats so ever lol but thanks for the tips i guess. its just that double low kick starter he always does its pretty fucking hard to get out of
You mean :

Run Down: b + FK, BK

?

IMO, it's a nice weapon Sektor has , since has some decent range, serve as a poke, and can, for example, be used to punish Reptile Elbow Dash (if blocked).

Maybe you should yourself, start to play more Sektor as character, and this way, learning more about the character, and, figure out how to defend better against him, hehe

:D

sumkindofdemon

Laughing Man
my bad smokey >.> just the salt ran deep last night ill try and keep it in the match up threads. im sure u can understand <3

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
its okay , let it all out :D

on topic: what is it thats making you lose most to sektor, is it his mixup/upclose, is he zoning you, catching you with teleports? Hopefully soon your friend will be the salty one!

sumkindofdemon

Laughing Man
*sniff* well it all started when i was 5. lol jk. ok this is basically how the scenerio goes we mix it up right i been trying to encorporate the d1 and sweeps, but my brain when it comes to mix up i always resort to 3 d1 2. or the very tempting but very risky tele punch, but he always resorts to the double low kick tele punch. TELE PUNCH TELE PUNCH LAWL LAWL LAWL, to his credit the asshole can jump kick if were both jumping at each other and teleport punch me before i hit the floor, throw me if im still blocking. i know smoke is supposed to be played hit and run but i dont have much in my tool box when it comes to insane pressure. i understand read the topics and what not but im having somewhat trouble differenciating the crap from the good so i figure just go to the other smoke players see what they got to say. thats how best i personally learn

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
*sniff* well it all started when i was 5. lol jk. ok this is basically how the scenerio goes we mix it up right i been trying to encorporate the d1 and sweeps, but my brain when it comes to mix up i always resort to 3 d1 2. or the very tempting but very risky tele punch, but he always resorts to the double low kick tele punch. TELE PUNCH TELE PUNCH LAWL LAWL LAWL, to his credit the asshole can jump kick if were both jumping at each other and teleport punch me before i hit the floor, throw me if im still blocking. i know smoke is supposed to be played hit and run but i dont have much in my tool box when it comes to insane pressure. i understand read the topics and what not but im having somewhat trouble differenciating the crap from the good so i figure just go to the other smoke players see what they got to say. thats how best i personally learn
Sektor has a low combo starter, meaning you should always block low unless you see an overhead coming, and then stand up. Poking with D1 and D4 are good ways out of up close pressure, follow up block 3d12 with a d1 for a frame trap, meaning you can continue to pressure. the temptation to teleport all the time is a habit that all smoke players need to break, but its so hard. you should try air throw or air teleport for air battles, also if you catch them with an air to air punch you can catch them with smoke bomb as you land for a 30%+ combo, so you should practice that! You should play more safe and try to use distance and space to your advantage, and block alot, telepunches are fast and hard to see coming, but when you block one you get a full combo punish, so sektors going to think twice before trying it!

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Sektor is one of Smoke's worst match ups but only when played properly. An aggressive Sektor is no problem.

A very patient, turtling Sektor is the worst. Smoke has LITERALLY no options against this except to run away and wait for them to slip up.

(this is also true for a very smart rushdown kitana, but that's another topic)

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Sektor is one of Smoke's worst match ups but only when played properly. An aggressive Sektor is no problem.

A very patient, turtling Sektor is the worst. Smoke has LITERALLY no options against this except to run away and wait for them to slip up.
This is true, but you just need to make sure that they slip up first! The only thing a turtling sektor will be good for is building meter, you can shake his projectiles (and drift past them if you feel saucy) and then your turtle problem is solved, your in his face and he has to do something about that. Part of fighting games is about reacting to other players styles to find one that beats them. And a players style changes as the match progresses, so just stay the step ahead!

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
My point is that there is nothing Smoke can do to get in unless the Sektor player makes a mistake. They won't be throwing missles and any approach attempt can be beaten by Sektor's b1 or flamethrower or iaTU on reaction. All the while Sektor is nickel and diming you to death.

Oh, and any whiffed move (including non poke normals) is punished by iaTU on reaction for massive damage.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Its a very similar strategy to smokes on that front, the ranged game of smoke and sektor both capitalise on slip ups and punishment, a IaTU is a huge risk for sektor to go throwing out willy nilly, so you will probably only see that on confident attempts, and to tell a bait from a genuine whiff is a talent and a half, mainly because of the speed the iaTU has to come out. Dont always see him being ABLE to punish you as he WILL. think KL spin, and reps dash. Yeah they are great moves for reacting + punishing, but they get baited, and once they get baited once, your mindset has to change.

sumkindofdemon

Laughing Man
i mean im not gonna quit on smoke but i also play scorp and working on rain EITHER of these guys have a better chance against him? cuz its annoying when i get into losing streaks against him -.-

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
changing characters isn't going to help in the long run. It wont make dealing with smoke v sektor any easier. Playing the match and learning from your mistakes, and learning how to beat things that you previously could not, thats where the money lies!

sumkindofdemon

Laughing Man
whole heartedly agree it was more of a curious question then anything its just that me personally smoke is my main but i would like to have a second and i dunno between scorp or rain

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Sounds like you're just really bad at blocking the teleport punch. If you're against a sektor player that just wants to teleport all day than just play really defensively and be ready for it. You have a shake which makes all of his projectiles useless.

If you know how to play offensively make sure you get in and stay in after you've punished a teleport of his, from there you just need to worry about scouting out the wakeup TU. If it's enhanced go for a D1 as if you try and jab him his 6 frame jab will most likely outspeed you.

Smoke is one of sektors worst matchups lol, not the other way around.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
Sounds like you're just really bad at blocking the teleport punch. If you're against a sektor player that just wants to teleport all day than just play really defensively and be ready for it. You have a shake which makes all of his projectiles useless.

If you know how to play offensively make sure you get in and stay in after you've punished a teleport of his, from there you just need to worry about scouting out the wakeup TU. If it's enhanced go for a D1 as if you try and jab him his 6 frame jab will most likely outspeed you.

Smoke is one of sektors worst matchups lol, not the other way around.
Shake isn't what makes Sektor's projectiles useless, it's teleport punch. Sektor has more than enough tools against Smoke without missles.

"waiting to punish a teleport" isn't a viable tactic against anyone with a brain.

If you think Smoke is one of Sektor's worst match ups you're playing him wrong, straight up. Just because you can't full screen zone him or use up missle pressure doesn't make it bad for Sektor.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Though your points are correct i cant see how turtling sektor will beat a good smoke . "waiting to punish a teleport" is NEVER a viable tactic. But knowing when a teleport is coming, and then punishing it, while in the meantime shutting down sektors range game and making him come at you, where its still not brilliant for sektor, and once you mount an offence you can keep it going pretty much the whole game aslong as you respect teleports and wakeups*. Any pressure you might be under can be escaped pretty easily, and if sektor feels at risk when he tries to do anything (which he usually is) you have the game before it even starts.

* note that trying to mount an offence that lasts the whole match and keep it up is really hard, you won't be likely to keep it up before sektor can escape. Which is why in a post above i said i usually back of a bit when you think you're pushing your luck, keeps it fresh too!

xenogorgeous

one way or another, 2 skilled dudes playing a good Smoke x Sektor fight, seems to be almost always a good match show to see, hehe :D

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
you guys seem to missing the point...

An agressive, up close Sektor is no problem for Smoke. Up close they're about even.

A Sektor that turtles and keeps you at outside sweep range with b1 and flamethrower while walking you into the corner is a big problem.