What's new

Sektor or Smoke

Zionix

AKA Ponkster
I personally find it hard to place them with eachother. They are top 5

I think Sektor has the edge slightly, but you could argue either way.

Cyrax is super fun to play, a solid pub stomper.

Noob
I main both.

Hard to compare as they play very differently. You can't zone either of them out. Both have good tools but smoke has the better mids.

I personally think they are tied. One can overwhelm you in 50/50 city and the other can overwhelm you in crazy pressure.

navaroNe

Nobody's afraid of Bruce Wayne
sektor has slightly more favorable matches then smoke I'd say and smoke does have one or two less than favorable match-ups so I'd give the slight edge to sektor overall but not by much. smoke is definitely the easier of the two to succeed with though in my opinion especially in ranked matches as his game plan stays the same for most matches

SonicNinja3532

The Wannabe Prodigy
Personally I'd put Sektor above because his strong pressure, great damage and some of the best zoning in the game means he can really be a pain. 212 straight rocket is a great tool that no one seems to use which is very scary, as you can check a button attempt that isn't a poke with f1, or even use ex iad to check anything for 14%.

Smoke on the other hand has better mids in b2 and f41, an invincible wakeup, a pretty strong mix and some good plus frames off ex smoke bomb, but I feel that because of the ability to be consistently punished on most strings into bomb as well as not hitting as hard as Sektor is enough to leave him just below him, but only slightly.

Noob
sektor has slightly more favorable matches then smoke I'd say and smoke does have one or two less than favorable match-ups so I'd give the slight edge to sektor overall but not by much. smoke is definitely the easier of the two to succeed with though in my opinion especially in ranked matches as his game plan stays the same for most matches
I disagree.

Smoke takes a lot more work than Sektor. Unless you are fighting noobs...well then you just vortex them to death lol.

myri

Time Warrior
Smoke has a slight edge in the neutral with his mids, with his b21 being safe and hit confirmable. He has the safer options, everything into smokebomb is safe.

Sektor has the better zoning and damage though and if you either hitconfirm his strings or have bar to make his teleport safer then that deals with his weaknesses somewhat.

Sektor > Smoke, only slightly.

Cyrax is a solid mid tier.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
Smoke for sure is better.

You see, Sektor has to get this... PLAY NEUTRAL! Dun dun dunnnn

Smoke? I'll just B21 and if it just so happens to hit at max range I'll get some stuff. What if B2 whiffs? Just finish the string and you are right behind them, you'll catch them out of the air 8 times out of 10 and convert for a full combo, or if they decide to block it you can mix off it or you can cancel into EX Smoke bomb for plus frames on block and a full combo on hit.

How about a safe wakeup? EX Phase that shit and if they read the EX Phase on wakeup and try to punish, just phase the other way and B2 them.

How about give him a completely unseeable mix through the F21 string? Yeah that's not stupid at all.

Hmm Tri-Borg can launch off F43 but that's unsafe cause you can interupt the 3... How about we give Smoke another version of that string except make it have no gap, hit comfirmable and the last hit launches for a combo? Yeah that's not retarded.

Also throw in a vortex. Just cause.

I don't hate this character. Why would you say I hate this character. Pfft no this character is fine, I just need to level up.

I haven't fought many sektors but from what I've seen I'd say has not as strong as smoke. Still good but not as overwhelming or annoying as Smoke. He's up there though. Probably got some stupidity that I'm not seeing. Making Teleport safe tho is pretty stupid tho.

Noob
Smoke for sure is better.

You see, Sektor has to get this... PLAY NEUTRAL! Dun dun dunnnn

Smoke? I'll just B21 and if it just so happens to hit at max range I'll get some stuff. What if B2 whiffs? Just finish the string and you are right behind them, you'll catch them out of the air 8 times out of 10 and convert for a full combo, or if they decide to block it you can mix off it or you can cancel into EX Smoke bomb for plus frames on block and a full combo on hit.

How about a safe wakeup? EX Phase that shit and if they read the EX Phase on wakeup and try to punish, just phase the other way and B2 them.

How about give him a completely unseeable mix through the F21 string? Yeah that's not stupid at all.

Hmm Tri-Borg can launch off F43 but that's unsafe cause you can interupt the 3... How about we give Smoke another version of that string except make it have no gap, hit comfirmable and the last hit launches for a combo? Yeah that's not (soap bar in my mouth).

Also throw in a vortex. Just cause.

I don't hate this character. Why would you say I hate this character. Pfft no this character is fine, I just need to level up.

I haven't fought many sektors but from what I've seen I'd say has not as strong as smoke. Still good but not as overwhelming or annoying as Smoke. He's up there though. Probably got some stupidity that I'm not seeing. Making Teleport safe tho is pretty stupid tho.
B21 whiffs on most the cast and you can interupt the (1)

F21, just poke out everytime? Nothing is guaranteed after the (2). You'll eat the (1) if the opponent catches on, but they get nothing out of it.

Are you really crying about his phase? Jesus, just stand a few steps backs and you can full combo punish it.

Guess you forgot the part where F421 is full combo punishable if not hit confirmed.

I don't see the problem with the vortex? In turn, he doesn't have a high damage output.

Soul Caliber, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and SF.
If you people can stop spacing your sentences like you are doing a poem. It's a bad habit, smh.

coconutshrimp

B21 whiffs on most the cast and you can interupt the (1)

F21, just poke out everytime? Nothing is guaranteed after the (2)
Wdym nothing is guaranteed after the (2)

The B21 tho, if the first hit hits on block the 1 will whiff of you crouch blocked the B2, but at max range both hits hit on block. If the B2 whiffs the 1 will most likely hit you if you're crouch blocking. There are a lot of variables that go into that part hitting or not. It's stupid

coconutshrimp

Are you really crying about his phase? Jesus, just stand a few steps backs and you can full combo punish it.

Guess you forgot the part where F421 is full combo punishable if not hit confirmed.

I don't see the problem with the vortex? In turn, he doesn't have a high damage output.
His EX Phase is stupid. Practically an armored launcher dude and take a few steps back and punish it? Okay what if he phases the other way tho? What then?

The vortex isn't really an issue you're right. The F41 string being punishable if not hitconfirmed? Why don't you practice hit confirming it and it wouldn't be that much of a problem :)

Sorry about 2 post I was being an idiot with how I handled this. But yeah smoke is dumb :)

Noob
His EX Phase is stupid. Practically an armored launcher dude and take a few steps back and punish it? Okay what if he phases the other way tho? What then?

The vortex isn't really an issue you're right. The F41 string being punishable if not hitconfirmed? Why don't you practice hit confirming it and it wouldn't be that much of a problem :)

Sorry about 2 post I was being an idiot with how I handled this. But yeah smoke is dumb :)
EX PHASE IS AN ARMOURED LAUNCHER WHAT??????

"Okay what if he phases the other way tho? What then?"

That question has no merit.

What if I did a F1 stagger
What if I did F12 instead of F1 stager
What if I did F121 instead of F12
What if I did F121 rocket instead of F121 rocket.
What if I woke up? What if I delayed wake up?

coconutshrimp

EX PHASE IS AN ARMOURED LAUNCHER WHAT??????

"Okay what if he phases the other way tho? What then?"

That question has no merit.

What if I did a F1 stagger
What if I did F12 instead of F1 stager
What if I did F121 instead of F12
What if I did F121 rocket instead of F121 rocket.
What if I woke up? What if I delayed wake up?
I said that it is Practically. Not that it was.

And those examples are quite the fair bit different. Those are for if he's on offense. Guessing a stagger while they're on offense is fine no problem. As for the wakeup, no wakeup, delay wakeup also fine but say I read that he will do a phase but he did it the other way and I got punished for it. Do you see what I'm getting at? It's layers and layers of guessing even when he's on the ground. If I have to guess some shit that's w.e but if my whole match against a character is literally a complete roll of a dice it's kind of really stupid.
Idk maybe I just need to level up. Yeah that's it. (not even kidding about that lol)

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Hmm Tri-Borg can launch off F43 but that's unsafe cause you can interupt the 3... How about we give Smoke another version of that string except make it have no gap, hit comfirmable and the last hit launches for a combo? Yeah that's not (soap bar in my mouth).
Ummm isn't that what pretty much every character in the game has? A mid that goes into a hitconfirmable string that is negative on block? Serious question, what the hell... F4D1 is borderline impossible to hitconfirm consistently as well, and F4 can occasionally be low profiled by D4's, so it's a below standard mid string in this game as well by any measure.

The F41 string being punishable if not hitconfirmed? Why don't you practice hit confirming it and it wouldn't be that much of a problem :)
Ah so you haven't even taken this character to the lab. Why don't YOU practice confirming it and see how viable that is. Even f0xy said he cannot consistently confirm Mileena's B12 and it's got like double the window that this has. It is HARD, impossible unless you are playing offline, impossible without a top tier monitor, and even if you have both those things arguably still impossible unless you have amazing hitconfirms. And this coming from someone with a name like mine should mean something. I find Jax's 11 easier to hitconfirm.

coconutshrimp

Ummm isn't that what pretty much every character in the game has? A mid that goes into a hitconfirmable string that is negative on block? Serious question, what the hell... F4D1 is borderline impossible to hitconfirm consistently as well, and F4 can occasionally be low profiled by D4's, so it's a below standard mid string in this game as well by any measure.

Ah so you haven't even taken this character to the lab. Why don't YOU practice confirming it and see how viable that is. Even f0xy said he cannot consistently confirm Mileena's B12 and it's got like double the window that this has. It is HARD, impossible unless you are playing offline, impossible without a top tier monitor, and even if you have both those things arguably still impossible unless you have amazing hitconfirms. And this coming from someone with a name like mine should mean something. I find Jax's 11 easier to hitconfirm.
With other characters It's not as ridiculous imo cause most of them aren't nearly as annoying. They do have them and I acknowledge that but it's not as annoying With those other characters imo.

If you're having trouble hit confirming that then just use F42. It's minus 5 and launches which is dumb. Ig I should've use that one instead in my initial post tbh. So you are right about all those things. Except for me not taking this character to the lab. If you've seen what I've written and the BS that is his B21 string it's clear that I have. The F4D12 tho you got me there. But I have had some lab time with this character. Can't say I haven't labbed this character cause of 1 mistake lol

Noob
I said that it is Practically. Not that it was.

And those examples are quite the fair bit different. Those are for if he's on offense. Guessing a stagger while they're on offense is fine no problem. As for the wakeup, no wakeup, delay wakeup also fine but say I read that he will do a phase but he did it the other way and I got punished for it. Do you see what I'm getting at? It's layers and layers of guessing even when he's on the ground. If I have to guess some shit that's w.e but if my whole match against a character is literally a complete roll of a dice it's kind of really stupid.
Idk maybe I just need to level up. Yeah that's it. (not even kidding about that lol)
"As for the wakeup, no wakeup, delay wakeup also fine but say I read that he will do a phase but he did it the other way and I got punished for it. Do you see what I'm getting at? "

You do realize you are playing MKX right? Smoke isn't the only character with layers of guessing. I don't see your point lol.

You guessed wrong and got punished, too bad, PAULO'S VISION. :DOGE

coconutshrimp

"As for the wakeup, no wakeup, delay wakeup also fine but say I read that he will do a phase but he did it the other way and I got punished for it. Do you see what I'm getting at? "

You do realize you are playing MKX right? Smoke isn't the only character with layers of guessing. I don't see your point lol.

You guessed wrong and got punished, too bad, PAULO'S VISION. :DOGE
Oh the curse that is Paulo's Vision has plagued NRS games for too long.

R.I.P Neutral Game 2011-2015