What's new

Question Secondary character for Shang Tsung

DragonPick

I don't play Runescape
Kitana?
- great meter building
- Zone heavy gameplay
- Unbreakerable combos

I think she has a better wake up and poke game, but her HML (High/Mid/Low mixup) is worse

LEGEND

YES!
Shang doesn't really have a character that covers his bad MUs. Sonya Probably covers the most without getting beat badly in other MUs

It wouldn't hurt to know kung Lao pretty well either

kanaida

Kanaida (MK9 Dashboard for android)
I use kano. He's the in your face psycho agressive and beats the crap out of kung Lao and other annoying people that shang can feel slow against. Then shang covers long range etc... Plus using kano I do 3 fireballs assist from shang to muscle my way in with kano while he's forced to block. Kanos assist ball has armor that I use to kill kitanas that are fan happy too. You could say I use kano to go forward and shang to counter incoming people like jumpers. Opposite tactics.

I use kano. He's the in your face psycho agressive and beats the crap out of kung Lao and other annoying people that shang can feel slow against. Then shang covers long range etc... Plus using kano I do 3 fireballs assist from shang to muscle my way in with kano while he's forced to block. Kanos assist ball has armor that I use to kill kitanas that are fan happy too. You could say I use kano to go forward and shang to counter incoming people like jumpers. Opposite tactics.
lol kano doesnt beat lao homie.
as i continue reading i see you're talking about tag... lol. revorail means who to use as a secondary, not a tag partner.

EMPEROR_THEO

I only use characters with wakeup scoops.
One of the best parts about Shang is that he does fairly decent where it matters most, against much of the top tier. He can put up with Kabal and Kenshi better than most of the other upper tiers like Cage and Sonya. He also doesn't have an impossible time against Cyrax, Kung Lao, and Sonya because his style of play is so complex and adaptable. That being said, it's tough to decide on a great counterpick for Shang's bad matchups. I would say Kung Lao for Noob Saibot, Smoke, Freddy, and Jax.

Yeah Kung Lao is your best bet.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
One of the best parts about Shang is that he does fairly decent where it matters most, against much of the top tier. He can put up with Kabal and Kenshi better than most of the other upper tiers like Cage and Sonya. He also doesn't have an impossible time against Cyrax, Kung Lao, and Sonya because his style of play is so complex and adaptable. That being said, it's tough to decide on a great counterpick for Shang's bad matchups. I would say Kung Lao for Noob Saibot, Smoke, Freddy, and Jax.

I'm pretty sure Cyrax is a terrible match up for Shang..

Sonya is good, so is Liu Kang. They cover Shang's worst MUs at least.
I agree. Liu Kang looks like the best. He kovers everything except Kenshi.. Kabal might be a little bad but it's not as bad as other characters. (and that's all anyone kan really hope for against Kabal... lol.)

kanaida

Kanaida (MK9 Dashboard for android)
lol kano doesnt beat lao homie.
as i continue reading i see you're talking about tag... lol. revorail means who to use as a secondary, not a tag partner.
He's Laos natural counter. His teleport is useless, and his up ball counters flying kicks. He's good, just not vs kanos moves. Don't even gotta combo to beat very fast ones after some practice. Anyways, I didn't notice he wasn't for tag :) in that case pick someone radically different. I use cyber sub, he's got just as many options as shung. I've played around in the r&d lab and he's great if you can time his self freeze on a dime, bombs for pressure and ranged sword attacks. Kick dives are very nice options too.

coolwhip

Noob
He's Laos natural counter. His teleport is useless, and his up ball counters flying kicks. He's good, just not vs kanos moves. Don't even gotta combo to beat very fast ones after some practice. Anyways, I didn't notice he wasn't for tag :) in that case pick someone radically different. I use cyber sub, he's got just as many options as shung. I've played around in the r&d lab and he's great if you can time his self freeze on a dime, bombs for pressure and ranged sword attacks. Kick dives are very nice options too.
Lao doesn't really need to do any of the things you mentioned against Kano.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I'm guessing you haven't played any "good" Kung Laos...

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme

although i agree with most of your post i have to say that fighting lao with shang sometimes seems impossible to me.