What's new

Scorpions b3 armor break.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I'm not really sure how useful this would be against breakaway outside of a kb uppercut. Unless theres other changes., I dont see any other scenario where this would work. Maybe f34kb in the corner?

Thoughts?

Gamer68

Fujin!
We need to wait and lab it to see. There is no way we can tell for sure. Like you said, it's obviously good after D2 KB. But remember that Breakaways aren't the only things with armor. It might be possible to counter Fatal Blows using a hard read.

We need to wait and lab it to see. There is no way we can tell for sure. Like you said, it's obviously good after D2 KB. But remember that Breakaways aren't the only things with armor. It might be possible to counter Fatal Blows using a hard read.
They tried to demonstrate that on stream with amped hellport, didn't work so they used d2 kb, so basically it's gonna be trash.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Yeah, I know this could work well in other situations. The topic was really meant to discuss its effectiveness against breakaway.

After an aa st1 was a good suggestion. It could likely work well after a raw d+njp in misery blade.

I just thought I'd bring up the topic because I dont believe this would work after his main launcher (teleport). Onviously I dont know what the game will play like after the patch, just opening a discussion on it.

the main factor is that we wanted breakaway to be dealt with. this isn't what I or others asked for but nrs is trying something with low effort. my main breakaway points with scorpion are, f34kb, ex.tp, and usually anything before spear (obviously for the breakaway into punish read). b3 most likely can't be used in any of those situations besides most popularly a d2 kb situation. now i'm hearing the startup on b3 is being buffed so just maybe it could be used on a breakaway after ex tp. doubt. maybe they'll make changes to ex tp on hit. who knows?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
the main factor is that we wanted breakaway to be dealt with. this isn't what I or others asked for but nrs is trying something with low effort. my main breakaway points with scorpion are, f34kb, ex.tp, and usually anything before spear (obviously for the breakaway into punish read). b3 most likely can't be used in any of those situations besides most popularly a d2 kb situation. now i'm hearing the startup on b3 is being buffed so just maybe it could be used on a breakaway after ex tp. doubt. maybe they'll make changes to ex tp on hit. who knows?
Low effort, but they're making changes to every single character in the game lol

Low effort, but they're making changes to every single character in the game lol
i'm not saying they aren't trying i'm saying this a low effort try. i mean the biggest try would just be delete breakaway all together. i don't know how much code they have to rework to do that. yeah man tossin any old move some armor breaking properties is the pinnacle of high effort. people thing sub f4 is wack, i guess people like the shang one, and people are divided on the scorpion b3. gonna have to see how the rest play out but so far. like a handful and a half of characters will actually benefit from this on the first run.

Why not just make the 4 on f3,4 break armor so that we can actually be rewarded for making that read and ending the combo like that? Or make it the 2 out of 112 so we could get rewarded for cutting the combos short? Or idk give him meaningful plus frames so I don't get poked out of frame traps by ppl with 6f d1's? Like of all the moves why b3?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Just gonna have to wait and see, honestly. Until we can lab it to truly test its usefulness, we won’t really be able to have an informed opinion.

My personal opinion is that none of these armor breaking moves will be used like this. They will be used to shit on U3s,Fatal Blows and possibly rolls(I am not sure about this). You make a read about U3 coming up,B3 and boom you launch. Subzero could condition you to F4 into F4,do anything that fits the description and you eat like 260 dmg. The only realistic breakaway counter will be Fujins out of these shown. They literally didnt fix anything,thats the main thing :D Nice balance team.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Why not just make the 4 on f3,4 break armor so that we can actually be rewarded for making that read and ending the combo like that? Or make it the 2 out of 112 so we could get rewarded for cutting the combos short? Or idk give him meaningful plus frames so I don't get poked out of frame traps by ppl with 6f d1's? Like of all the moves why b3?
That sounds smarter tbh. Either f3 spear or f3 11 spear to continue the OG combo, or f34 to armor break at the risk of cutting damage. No reactions, just a hard read by both parties.
I still don't get why they would add even more guessing to the breakaway meta... but yeesh, okay.

DarkSado

Noob
My personal opinion is that none of these armor breaking moves will be used like this. They will be used to shit on U3s,Fatal Blows and possibly rolls(I am not sure about this). You make a read about U3 coming up,B3 and boom you launch. Subzero could condition you to F4 into F4,do anything that fits the description and you eat like 260 dmg. The only realistic breakaway counter will be Fujins out of these shown. They literally didnt fix anything,thats the main thing :D Nice balance team.
I thought u3 was invisible not armor?

Spawn has armor break in his Hellchain variation. Friend labbed it and told me it does break U3s and Fatal Blows and launches.
It doesn't break U3s because they're invincible, not armored, as has already been said. Fatal Blows have armor so it works on those, and so will everyone's new armor breakers.

Also up 2 is invincible to all airborne attacks so wouldn't b3 get you launched for doing it? Like where is the upside to that being the armor break. Yeah you can do it from d2 kb. So I gotta waste my kb on a read that may or may not work, but there are gonna be other characters that don't have this interaction and can use theirs freely? Why not give everyone crushing blows on short hops so that we can be rewarded for making those plays. Or why not make it so rolls have less invincibility so that you can properly punish them. Why not make it so delayed wake-up has a goddamn con to using it? Make it so that delayed wake-up makes you vulnerable to low hitting moves so that now that delayed wake-up is a read instead of you just doing it. The armor breaks were needed but they don't address all the other things that not only benefit the cast but helps the worse characters do their thing let alone poor scorpion. The best solution would have just been breakaway loses invincibility at certain frames and slow it down so that if the read is made you get a reward.

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I tested b3 after breakaway from d2 and they definitely did something to it. Right now it’s almost of not completely impossible to land a b3 after a d2 krushing blow so they‘ve either sped up b3, changed the duration of the fall animation of breakaway or made the window to break armor much more active than it seems to be because no way they‘re hitting this 2-3 times in a row during the stream with how b3 currently works.

edit: tried it a bit more and actually got it to land but it‘s very close to a 1 frame link. It hits nowhere as high as in the stream so my guess is that’s b3 is now in the lower 20‘s of startup

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
Also something I noticed, in the video during the stream sub zero did breakaway after the d2 kB quite late, way later than the AI does when you set it up to automatically breakaway on first frame possible. This could mean they either adjusted the time when you could break away, maybe generally, maybe only to certain moves which could increase the chance that b3 after an amp tele could be possible actually or sub was played by a human which would be really bad.

after rewatching it a third time, they actually did a normal d2 where sub could breakaway earlier than after the kb so my hot take would be that after kb launches you cannot immediately breakaway anymore which would make armor breaker more reliable to hit.

Last edited:
I pray to the god that they buffed Raiden,thats only thing I need from this patch notes,I am already disappointed please dont ruin me further NRS.