What's new

Scorpion vs Liu Kang (Hitbox Issue) Question?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I was using Scorpion vs Liu Kang yesterday and it feels challenging to say the least, Scorpion has a 13f mid while Kang has a 9f mid on loop. The guess what I will do game when playing against Liu.
I am asking for tips because I ran into a problem I feel puts me out of favor in the matchup.
Liu Kang gameplay is to ram F43 in you face all day long and the mix off it:
  • F4 stagger
  • F43 xx Low Fireball
  • F43 xx Parry
  • F43(gap)U+3 grants another F4 loop
  • F43 Blk into counter
  • F43 Throw
Your options to beat this is a make a guess:
  • 7f standing 1 starter which gets beat by Low Fireball, Parry and Block. Beats U3
  • D1 beats U3 but gets beat by Parry(huge combo), Low Fireball (guaranteed pressure), liu blocks (guaranteed pressure into mix).
  • D3 is a great option since it beats Parry and U3 so you get a 40-50% chance to win compared to 20-25% with other options.
The problem I ran acrossed was when I make the read to D2 Krushing blow vs Liu Kang I get punished because Liu Kang has a weird recovery animation after doing throw which makes his hurtbox lean back avoiding D2 and other moves. So Liu can D2 you into 50% but when you do the same you eat 25%+

What do you all do to even the odds in your favor when they do the F4 mix?

Forossa

Noob
Same thing happened to me. When I neutral duck Liu’s grab as Sub-Zero. Doing 12 ice ball punish doesn’t seem to work as well. His hit box is a little wonk.

And as for his f4 mix, As a sub player i have options with the slide (MK Tom Brady vid).
If i’m using other characters I tend to jab full combo him before the last hit.

I was using Scorpion vs Liu Kang yesterday and it feels challenging to say the least, Scorpion has a 13f mid while Kang has a 9f mid on loop. The guess what I will do game when playing against Liu.
I am asking for tips because I ran into a problem I feel puts me out of favor in the matchup.
Liu Kang gameplay is to ram F43 in you face all day long and the mix off it:
  • F4 stagger
  • F43 xx Low Fireball
  • F43 xx Parry
  • F43(gap)U+3 grants another F4 loop
  • F43 Blk into counter
  • F43 Throw
Your options to beat this is a make a guess:
  • 7f standing 1 starter which gets beat by Low Fireball, Parry and Block. Beats U3
  • D1 beats U3 but gets beat by Parry(huge combo), Low Fireball (guaranteed pressure), liu blocks (guaranteed pressure into mix).
  • D3 is a great option since it beats Parry and U3 so you get a 40-50% chance to win compared to 20-25% with other options.
The problem I ran acrossed was when I make the read to D2 Krushing blow vs Liu Kang I get punished because Liu Kang has a weird recovery animation after doing throw which makes his hurtbox lean back avoiding D2 and other moves. So Liu can D2 you into 50% but when you do the same you eat 25%+

What do you all do to even the odds in your favor when they do the F4 mix?
0. Yes if Liu is in your face he will be favored. With Scorpion it is possible to outfootsie him. Better stop him being in your face.

1. If he is in your face (not Scorpin specific):

You miss an option from the list: Flawless Block F43U3
If you do it you can safely block anything you got into punish - but of course you are prone to be staggerred. But at least you can show that plus frames will be not an option. :) And probably you can pull one option from the list for a while.

Then probably there will be the stagger game - and your options above. And if you interrupt Liu Kang will try to do parry/low fireball/block... Then blocking is your next weapon. With Block you will not lose the game right now.

Overall it is a mind game and as Liu Kang has more options of course the defender has less chance. Maybe you can lead his next moves by doing stuff.
Creative Liu Kang will drop everything even without that "thinking too much" just to confuse. :)

Last edited:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
0. Yes if Liu is in your face he will be favored. With Scorpion it is possible to outfootsie him. Better stop him being in your face.

1. If he is in your face (not Scorpin specific):

You miss an option from the list: Flawless Block F43U3
If you do it you can safely block anything you got into punish - but of course you are prone to be staggerred. But at least you can show that plus frames will be not an option. :) And probably you can pull one option from the list for a while.

Then probably there will be the stagger game - and your options above. And if you interrupt Liu Kang will try to do parry/low fireball/block... Then blocking is your next weapon. With Block you will not lose the game right now.

Overall it is a mind game and as Liu Kang has more options of course the defender has less chance. Maybe you can lead his next moves by doing stuff.
Creative Liu Kang will drop everything even without that "thinking too much" just to confuse. :)
The general question was not about the guess game it was about his hurtbox issues. On several moves including his throw his chest and hurtbox lean back making many moves wiff including D2 after ducking his throw and going for punish on hard read only to get punished for making the right read. I don't think this is character specific and generally happening to many characters vs Liu Kang.

The general question was not about the guess game it was about his hurtbox issues. On several moves including his throw his chest and hurtbox lean back making many moves wiff including D2 after ducking his throw and going for punish on hard read only to get punished for making the right read. I don't think this is character specific and generally happening to many characters vs Liu Kang.
Ok sry I misunderstood badly.
Scorpion's S1 and D1 has good range though but I did not lab the throw punish, yet.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
This match up feels rough. If your playing reborn he wins the damage battle plus we cant break away often because we use defensive meter more than lui. Lui kangs pressure is really dumb online its hard to react to his staggers. i wish NRS would make the game with the mind set that most of this game is being played online. Like lui should have more recovery on his staggers that way its easier to react to online. Idk its getting annoying also erron black and subzero are also really dumb online.

If the stagger is way easier to react: where is the mind game? :(
It is "all" he has.
They could set Scorpion's F3 -5 or +10 recovery for the same purposes. It would be not good stagger anymore.