What's new

Scorpion Beta General Discussion

https://media.giphy.com/media/8UGZYXc5sePOug9R7V/giphy.gif

A .gif of me playing Misery Blade. Using B2xxMB cancels to bait out pokes.

Scorpion should be played off of the back foot. Meaning you'll be moving backward, whiff punishing, etc. The lack of safe strings confirms this to be true. Most matches I just got the life lead and forced footsies. Going in like Rambo I got bashed.

What would making B143 safe really do for him? It leaves you directly in front of the opponent & they removed the cancel on the final hit. You'd still have to make a hard read or hit confirm B14 anyways.

https://media.giphy.com/media/8UGZYXc5sePOug9R7V/giphy.gif

A .gif of me playing Misery Blade. Using B2xxMB cancels to bait out pokes.

Scorpion should be played off of the back foot. Meaning you'll be moving backward, whiff punishing, etc. The lack of safe strings confirms this to be true. Most matches I just got the life lead and forced footsies. Going in like Rambo I got bashed.

What would making B143 safe really do for him? It leaves you directly in front of the opponent & they removed the cancel on the final hit. You'd still have to make a hard read or hit confirm B14 anyways.
B143 being safe means more pressure and with the cancel is more hit confirm. Scorpion has no full string that can be canceled. While Baraka and Skarlet have.

B143 being safe means more pressure and with the cancel is more hit confirm. Scorpion has no full string that can be canceled. While Baraka and Skarlet have.
NRS said they wanted him to be a mid range character. That’s probably why they removed special cancels from b14 follow ups.

Again, you don’t have to pressure with him. You need to create opportunities to whiff punish. Making b14 safe ain’t it chief.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
I just want to add that I do understand people want to play scorpion in a certain way, BUT please understand that this is NRS game and if they want you to play a character in a certain way, well either you're going to have to or switch to another character...just saying.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I've seen some people suggest that Scorpion should actually get a slight damage buff to compensate for how ridiculously unsafe he is. Higher risk = higher reward. Any thoughts on this? I don't think he should do as much as Baraka who hits less but harder and I like that archetype for him but Scorpion should do more than Scarlet who is much safer and therefore hits more frequently for less overall damage.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
I mean, he gets like 25% to 28% without the Spear buff and 30+% with it equipped, right? Also has anybody used those spear special and telport cancel ability to see if that also make him safe? If it does then his fine as is, if not buff the damage a tad bit.

I've seen some people suggest that Scorpion should actually get a slight damage buff to compensate for how ridiculously unsafe he is. Higher risk = higher reward. Any thoughts on this? I don't think he should do as much as Baraka who hits less but harder and I like that archetype for him but Scorpion should do more than Scarlet who is much safer and therefore hits more frequently for less overall damage.
Personally, I'd say no but I see why people would want a damage buff.

His Teleport is kinda crazy right now. It's something the opponent always has to be on guard against in the neutral. It should be changed to hit High.

Last edited:
I mean, he gets like 25% to 28% without the Spear buff and 30+% with it equipped, right? Also has anybody used those spear special and telport cancel ability to see if that also make him safe? If it does then his fine as is, if not buff the damage a tad bit.
I don't think it's a full combo punish. I don't like it because it costs 2 defense bars, and takes 20 game seconds to recover.

I do like the Burning Spear. It's pseudo-safe, but I love the EX version. It can be used like Flame Aura from MKX to add mind games to poke wars. For example, you can D3 xx EX Burning Spear & it will blow up counter pokes. When it hits you can combo with B1.

Grape Juice City

Shaolin boyz
He doesn’t need anything. Again, stop playing him like other NRS games. If you don’t like things being negative use Misery Blade. Otherwise use him as a zoning and footsie character. Play patiently and defensively.
If it was just negative it'd be fine; give up your turn and call it a day. The concern was majority of his strings being unsafe and becoming less viable as people become more acclimated to the meta. As it is now we're canceling/staggering strings after the first hit just to remain safe, and as much as I loved Misery Blade mind games during the stress test, I don't know if it's something I'd wanna see as Scorpion's core game plan for the next 2-3 years.

That said calling for buff/nerfs within the first 6 months, much less a 3 day stress test where nothing is finalized, seems nutty, but the whole 'risk vs reward' thing seemed a bit off with this character so I get the concern at least.

Last edited:

Prima Italia

Italia per sempre
Not much risk for Baraka he gets 38%. Skarlet with a more footsie moves and safe on block and her specials mostly safe. She has a combo where only one meter she gets like 36% plus health back. But god forbid Scorpion get some good damages for his unsafe everything
Exactly. Any decent Baraka player against Scorpion would turtle and just block and then punish especially with the flying knee. Get used to seeing that krushing blow in every match. What is the point of playing footsies if Baraka can just block and punish on everything except one string and one special? Scorpion is unsafe and does low damage.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Stop asking for Teleport nerfs, lol, it's unsafe without meter and is literally his ONE of TWO safe moves if you SPEND METER. The other characters we've played get a ton of safe options for free and with less effort, lol. IF anything Scorp could use some slight buffs. How bad is it when players on his own forum want him to the lowest of low tier with his only saving feature being Misery Blade which is honestly is so dull and uninspired looking compared to most of his other specials that everyone only uses it because the cancels make it his best if not only viable move choice. Seeing nobody using anything in matches besides short strings into Misery Blade cancels for maximum safety is gonna get dull real quick and will almost certainly mean no pros bothering to pick him up in his current state.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Stop asking for Teleport nerfs, lol, it's unsafe without meter and is literally his ONE of TWO safe moves if you SPEND METER. The other characters we've played get a ton of safe options for free and with less effort, lol. IF anything Scorp could use some slight buffs. How bad is it when players on his own forum want him to the lowest of low tier with his only saving feature being Misery Blade which is honestly is so dull and uninspired looking compared to most of his other specials that everyone only uses it because the cancels make it his best if not only viable move choice. Seeing nobody using anything in matches besides short strings into Misery Blade cancels for maximum safety is gonna get dull real quick and will almost certainly mean no pros bothering to pick him up in his current state.
It’s actually not safe with meter. It’s punishable on block.

Grape Juice City

Shaolin boyz
Btw did anyone else have issues MB'ing the teleport for the ex with release check turned off? Played around with the input timing and still couldn't get it to reliably come out. Came out just fine with release check on though.

I'm not calling for Buffs/Nerfs....game aint even out yet lol

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I'm not calling for Buffs/Nerfs....game aint even out yet lol
I wasn't calling you out specifically, lol. Sorry if it sounded that way. Alot of cry babies keep falsely saying the TP is safe or OP, needs to be nerfed, etc. Seems like most want Scorpion to be shit tier to just because they dislike how popular he is.

I would however consider changing his TP to High definitely a nerf. It was High in MK9 and I will never forgot people being able to just duck without blocking and stuff his shit, lmao. He was so free to uppercuts. As a Scorpion main and a sadist I say given the downward stab animation he makes it should really be an overhead (mwa ha ha, too evil I know) but it being a mid is just fine.

Exactly. Any decent Baraka player against Scorpion would turtle and just block and then punish especially with the flying knee. Get used to seeing that krushing blow in every match. What is the point of playing footsies if Baraka can just block and punish on everything except one string and one special? Scorpion is unsafe and does low damage.
I don't blame you guys for not knowing the art of lame play AKA Turtling. MK games haven't been turtle friendly in the past.

Once you have the life lead the matchup changes. Baraka can't throw Sparks all day without eating a Teleport, so he have to come to Scorpion.

Last edited:

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Just remember guys this might be some timeouts in this one. Use the clock to your advantage.

No shame in winning on timeouts.

Prima Italia

Italia per sempre
I don't blame you guys for not knowing the art of lame play AKA Turtling. MK games haven't been turtle friendly in the past.

Once you have the life lead the matchup changes. Baraka can't throw Sparks all day without eating a Teleport, so he have to come to Scorpion.
That is on the condition you get the life lead on Baraka, who does much more damage than Scorpion and is much safer.