What's new

Breakthrough - Inferno Scorpion - Hellish Spear modified (w/ video)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Discuss

Just in case someone missed scorpion Hellish Spear has been altered, it used to have a longer hitstun that seemed possible to start some good combos from it fullscreen, however now the hitstun window has been shortened a bit

Remember that MKX is not out yet, so anything in the game is subject to change until final build, that is why i prefer to call this a modification (alteration) rather than a Nerf or Normalization.

Besides the testers and ppl who are directly involved with MKX, we will never know the impact Hellish spear had on (I)Scorpion with longer hitstun and what he could acomplish with.

With that said, i want to remember you that this move is a EX first, and you can MB to get the flame effect, which in consequence costs 2 bars of meter and deals only 5% of raw damage.

The first thing it came in mind is that with this nerf change, the move is not to be used full screen at all anymore, though that you can possibly (not sure) still get a full combo from it fullscreen if you ex teleport right after the hit (3 bars only) it feels more suitable to use up close for mixup pruporses now that the opponent gets out of the hitstun much faster (is it really worth spending 2 bars for it now?).

Unfortunately we cannot go much further into this without playing, it would just be pure especulation because we don't know how matchups and everything else combined into full gameplay will come along.

Hopefully scorpion mains will be around by the time and help me dig up as far as possible before people starting to jump into the nerf gun.

@RedRaptor10 @MITDJT @AK RM Blake @GGA Dizzy @FOXSOLID @PimpUigi
@R.E.O.

Last edited:

FOXSOLID

Noob
Great stuff man, always on your game. I just wanna get my hands on this ASAP.

Whenever the demo is released, we'll be given greater insight on Scorpion for sure.

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I'm a little amazed that anyone thought frames, hitstun, cancelable strings, etc. weren't going to drastically change a number of times before anything closely resembles a release build. That's been true for every patchable fighting game since, well, forever.

You know, maybe I shouldn't fight the TYM tide. Maybe we are overdue for MKX matchup numbers.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm a little amazed that anyone thought frames, hitstun, cancelable strings, etc. weren't going to drastically change a number of times before anything closely resembles a release build. That's been true for every patchable fighting game since, well, forever.

You know, maybe I shouldn't fight the TYM tide. Maybe we are overdue for MKX matchup numbers.
we did knew anything is subject to change, yet this change feels big. because scorpion was basically untouched since E3 to have a change like this one in PAX is definitetly because something happened at gamescom when Kombatether reported that he was the most damaging character, my guess is, the hellish spear suposely used to bring a lot of diversity on his gameplay that possibly was moving away a bit from zoning and was allowing inferno variation to play something else.

Allthough scorpion is still scorpion, he cancel teleport in any variation (hope this stays till the final build) and is possibly the only character which his moveset without any variation allows him to play anyway he like, the variation bonus are just an extension to what he already is.

NY-Shadow

TestYourMight SUCKS
The decline of Scorpion to the bottom has already begun. By the time NRS releases their criminal re-selling of the game that will probably be called MKX Komplete Edition, Scorpion will have been nerfed to MK9 Scorpion status=GARBAGE.

trufenix

bye felicia
man is this beyond meaningless. We are in desperate need of news nrs. Please send help before it turns into another Injustice pre-release nightmare.

GetSpookd

#1 Enemy : Rust.
Nice find, tho I think its better that the stun effect has been reduced. The game is still being heavily updated so I guess we'll see more of similar stuff from now on.

E

Eldriken

man is this beyond meaningless. We are in desperate need of news nrs. Please send help before it turns into another Injustice pre-release nightmare.
How is it meaningless? It seems you're the only one so far who feels that way.

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
By the time the final build is out he wont even throw spears. He'll just say "Get over here" as a verbal command grab :joker:

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
we did knew anything is subject to change, yet this change feels big. because scorpion was basically untouched since E3 to have a change like this one in PAX is definitetly because something happened at gamescom when Kombatether reported that he was the most damaging character, my guess is, the hellish spear suposely used to bring a lot of diversity on his gameplay that possibly was moving away a bit from zoning and was allowing inferno variation to play something else.

Allthough scorpion is still scorpion, he cancel teleport in any variation (hope this stays till the final build) and is possibly the only character which his moveset without any variation allows him to play anyway he like, the variation bonus are just an extension to what he already is.
I see your point, but pre-release date like this seems like people are getting desperate for breaking MKX news.

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
Find it pretty funny how some people are actually losing their shit over this online.

These preview builds are not built to be remotely competitive. They exist to showcase moves and nothing else, it's all about getting this game in magazines and on preview videos right now, so I'm 100% sure that competitive balance isn't what they care for at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if some characters in that build have 70% combos etc, because they're not built to be optimised just yet.

As the date gets closer and closer, it'll seem a lot more tame I'm sure.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Find it pretty funny how some people are actually losing their shit over this online.

These preview builds are not built to be remotely competitive. They exist to showcase moves and nothing else, it's all about getting this game in magazines and on preview videos right now, so I'm 100% sure that competitive balance isn't what they care for at the moment. It wouldn't surprise me if some characters in that build have 70% combos etc, because they're not built to be optimised just yet.

As the date gets closer and closer, it'll seem a lot more tame I'm sure.
I put this on the FB group just to troll the inocent ones i even wrotte "Nerf" into it