What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Alright, time to change my character for real now.

This patch is ridiculous. Scorpion gets an armor breaker that doesn't even work and no buffs at all despite being in the bottom 3. I'll look into Robocop and Noob.

Alright, time to change my character for real now.

This patch is ridiculous. Scorpion gets an armor breaker that doesn't even work and no buffs at all despite being in the bottom 3. I'll look into Robocop and Noob.
The armor breaker works in most combos if the breakaway is delayed and not immediate from what I tried in practice mode. But yeah it's honestly time to move on for the lot of us.

I can't really move on i like this character. I can only play characters i like regardless of their tier position. I can never force my self to play Jacqui just because she is top tier for example

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Kb throw both ways is nice, the overhead is faster now but the armor break for breakaways is pretty useless imo. Why not break immediately after mb teleport? Not seeing any use for it outside of people who just break late. It does work after raw NJ d1 in mb.

The burning spear buff let's you juggle or aa into restand, It has a bit more range. Can probably do some dirt in the corner but you'll likely be left with no meter. Not very optimistic about it.

Extra damage on misery blades meter burn overhead and low seems pretty mediocre at best imo. I really never feel I should be burning meter for that move. Still doesnt seem worth it for 20 more damage.

I'm interested in the b2 and death spin changes. Would like some details on what's actually different.

Scoot Magee

Scorpion - Adjusted opponent’s victim region during the hit reaction to Gut Slice (Away + Front Punch)

At first I thought this mean that the second hit of b14 wouldnt whiff on a max range whiff punish but it still does. Anyone know any details on the change?

shows how much nrs believes in their quality of work. live frame data on burning spear says it has 32 frames of recovery but the movelist frame data says it has 47 frames of recovery

I still say the beat armor breaker they could have given scorpion would have come from f3,4. Scorpion naturally usses f3,4 in his combo structure and it would make the KB from it that more punishing. All they had to do was make f3,4 the same properties as the KB if hits a breakaway. It wouldnt have given you much outside of what you were normally gonna do. B3 needed to be faster but tbh what scorpion suffers from is what johnny now suffers from. Scorpion does not have meaningful plus frames on block from things that aren't 212. If you stagger 2,1 you can still be poked out by 6f d1. Why not let the character use this string to force respect so that he may be able to to do 212 and get rewarded for programming his opponent on all opponents.

Why is b1,4 the only way to access plus frames off of misery blade and b1,4 and b2 are the only ways to safely cancel misery blade. Even with b1,4 being plus 1 he is still vulnerable to counter pokes from 6f d1. Scorpion is literally spending meter for little reward especially since b1,4, tsuke poke is inconsistent in most match-ups. Why can he not use his block string, and not get actual useful plus frames for using resources? Kabal is getting great plus frames off of NDC's. Joker, and cage is getting great pluss frames off their FBC. Why can scorpion not atleast be +3 at that range so that he can frame trap with his d1? It's not op or oppressive, and it actually gives scorpion use for the meter that isn't match-up dependent. Either that or hey need to change the pushback on block of b1,4 so that he can actually do b1,4, tsuke poke consistently on all characters. That creates a situation where him risking his meter or him doing tsuke poke to catch them pressing would be an actual thing he can do. It would also give him a source of reliable safety while creating space for him.

My last thing is make tsuke poke a true mid. Why are certain characters able to d3 under the tsuke poke after d1, tsuke poke? There is already a 7 frame gap on block why not let him have it be a true mid to allow him to be rewarded for hitting opponents for pressing buttons. There are characters who are special canceling and jailing high specials off of d1 why cant scorpion jail his mid

I still say the beat armor breaker they could have given scorpion would have come from f3,4. Scorpion naturally usses f3,4 in his combo structure and it would make the KB from it that more punishing. All they had to do was make f3,4 the same properties as the KB if hits a breakaway. It wouldnt have given you much outside of what you were normally gonna do. B3 needed to be faster but tbh what scorpion suffers from is what johnny now suffers from. Scorpion does not have meaningful plus frames on block from things that aren't 212. If you stagger 2,1 you can still be poked out by 6f d1. Why not let the character use this string to force respect so that he may be able to to do 212 and get rewarded for programming his opponent on all opponents.

Why is b1,4 the only way to access plus frames off of misery blade and b1,4 and b2 are the only ways to safely cancel misery blade. Even with b1,4 being plus 1 he is still vulnerable to counter pokes from 6f d1. Scorpion is literally spending meter for little reward especially since b1,4, tsuke poke is inconsistent in most match-ups. Why can he not use his block string, and not get actual useful plus frames for using resources? Kabal is getting great plus frames off of NDC's. Joker, and cage is getting great pluss frames off their FBC. Why can scorpion not atleast be +3 at that range so that he can frame trap with his d1? It's not op or oppressive, and it actually gives scorpion use for the meter that isn't match-up dependent. Either that or hey need to change the pushback on block of b1,4 so that he can actually do b1,4, tsuke poke consistently on all characters. That creates a situation where him risking his meter or him doing tsuke poke to catch them pressing would be an actual thing he can do. It would also give him a source of reliable safety while creating space for him.

My last thing is make tsuke poke a true mid. Why are certain characters able to d3 under the tsuke poke after d1, tsuke poke? There is already a 7 frame gap on block why not let him have it be a true mid to allow him to be rewarded for hitting opponents for pressing buttons. There are characters who are special canceling and jailing high specials off of d1 why cant scorpion jail his mid
i'm not even sure how f34 armor break would work. i feel like the second hit of f34 whiffs on breakaway so would just f3 break armor? i don't know. the most threatening thing people saw about scorpion was his teleport and they took that away. after that and before that he just took weird nerfs and some non helpful buffs.

s4 and f3 would be the only viable armor breakers I can think of. Sometimes even f3 whiffs for me on people who breakaway instantly but that could just be lag or me being slow. Only change the could make this work with is if hellport would pop up higher, but then people could just visually confirm if you go for f3 or s4 and break then.

Dunno. NRS seemingly put even less thought into that than I just did.

This patch mainly buffs V3. While the opponent can fast breakaway from a teleport and escape the b3, they cannot with the sin blade. So V3 gets rewarded with strong combos.

This patch mainly buffs V3. While the opponent can fast breakaway from a teleport and escape the b3, they cannot with the sin blade. So V3 gets rewarded with strong combos.
But it still doesn't address the main issue with v3. Tsuke poke has a horrendously small hitbox. Certain characters like lao don't even have to respect the d1, into tsuke poke cancel bc of the hit box doesn't reach. B1,4 not allowing him to end the block string in tsuke poke makes it so that it's all but useless in certain matchups. Meaning it hurts his b1,4, misery blade cancel, and b1,4, tsuke poke game. You either take do b1,4,3 and get the knockdown with little reward or do b1,4, mbc d1 which is still edge case in some matchups as bc you're only +1 thus you can be poked out by 6f d1 on block if you aren't frame perfect.

Like alot of v3's whiffing issues could be solved by lowering the pushback on b1,4 on block rather than hit. It doesn't help that b1,4 whiffs on most of the top tier threats as well

i'm not even sure how f34 armor break would work. i feel like the second hit of f34 whiffs on breakaway so would just f3 break armor? i don't know. the most threatening thing people saw about scorpion was his teleport and they took that away. after that and before that he just took weird nerfs and some non helpful buffs.
In my experience ppl usually wait until after I do the f3 to bait out the spear to punish. So if f3,4 was his armor breaker then both players are engaged in the guessing game. As is imo outside of certain launches scorpion finds it hard to utilize his current armor break and that shouldn't be the case in a universal normal armor break.

Scoot Magee

You can just watch what scorpion does after sin blade and make b3 completely useless in that regard. All the other player has to do is either nothing or wait for you to juggle with a normal and instantly break.

Parasurama

Dragon
Please can one of you guys who tweet alert them (NRS) to the fact that Scorpion’s D1 is only +9 whereas most characters get +10 and new characters are +12 or more. I feel this is something that encourages scrubby play online. I think this was a mistake or someone was high when they made in +9 (reduced from +10). Since when is taking your turn a bad thing?

Please can one of you guys who tweet alert them (NRS) to the fact that Scorpion’s D1 is only +9 whereas most characters get +10 and new characters are +12 or more. I feel this is something that encourages scrubby play online. I think this was a mistake or someone was high when they made in +9 (reduced from +10). Since when is taking your turn a bad thing?
They want you to be jedi to confirm d+1 into a jail.

I wonder if netherrealm will ever give scorpion less pushback on block from b1,4 so that tsuke poke can hit everytime in block strings? It would really help that variation so much. It doesn't even make sense they get pushed back that far considering how negative b1,4 is regularly and canceling it only leaves you plus 1. Also kinda makes me wonder if they could do that with f4 as well

You can just watch what scorpion does after sin blade and make b3 completely useless in that regard. All the other player has to do is either nothing or wait for you to juggle with a normal and instantly break.
If the opponent does nothing b3 will still connect and the opponent will be on the ground. If he breaksaway he gets full combo. My point was that Scorpion is safe to throw out b3 after sin blade(as a starter) without getting punished for just doing that compare to amp teleport where that one could whiff completely.

This is why I use d3 to jail into 112. You have 4 frames to work with instead of 2.

I wonder if netherrealm will ever give scorpion less pushback on block from b1,4 so that tsuke poke can hit everytime in block strings? It would really help that variation so much. It doesn't even make sense they get pushed back that far considering how negative b1,4 is regularly and canceling it only leaves you plus 1. Also kinda makes me wonder if they could do that with f4 as well
I rather they increase the size on that hit box. No reason to cancel in tsuka poke unless I got them against the wall. Mid screen I just finish B14 with 3 or cancel into d1.

Parasurama

Dragon
This is why I use d3 to jail into 112. You have 4 frames to work with instead of 2.

I rather they increase the size on that hit box. No reason to cancel in tsuka poke unless I got them against the wall. Mid screen I just finish B14 with 3 or cancel into d1.
I use that too but sometimes d1 works better ( quicker and further reaching) and I don’t think it is unreasonable. The real question is why they changed it to less advantage on hit. That won’t get people to mash less. I understand why they made it more negative on block. I think they learned their lesson with the new characters but they should make most characters D1’s more plus on hit too, I would be ok with +10 again but it should +11/12. Anyway I am having fun with Scorpion.