What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I use f32 a good amount. You gotta be an animal sometimes. It's basically an unsafe overhead frame trap. That's how I use it. If you never do it I think you're not playing sr properly. Obviously this depends on who you're playing and what match up.

Nobody can "handle" the tele cancel tbh.
From what I've seen with others and notice about myself is that I'm trying to identify situations where people use the cancel and act proactively.

For example I like not blocking at the start of the round against Reborn and just keep me finger on one then just hit 11 into a combo when I see the teleport.
Or if I notice that somebody like to cancel behind me on blocked strings, I just hit a button.

Tons of people I thought were "reacting" to tele cancel and jabbed me afterwards, I noticed that if I just let the teleport rip in the same situations I caught them with it, as they just had a read on me and sat there waiting for the cancel to hit a button.

You can see tele cancel being used to great success against great players in offline tournaments as well.

I don't think there's a foolproof way to deal with it and you're best off just blocking and trying to get Reborn off his defensive meter with big combos.
I meant "handle" to know his options in case of teleport cancel and not start panicing if coming.

You know how I punished your tele cancel even with Cassie 9F MID with direction input (as S1 whiffed lol).
It was not reaction to cancel at all just reaction to teleport and read the cancel. And still need to be fast not to miss it which is the "too much".

Against this type of player the tele cancel get mixup is not a free get in anymore but a true low-moderate reward/high risk tool.

Sonicfox does even better I think as he just lets the cancel happen (blocks) and react to throw or whatever.
He is probably just happy if Scorpion gets in his face lol.
That is another level when you intentionally focus on not the cancel to punish but the follow up.

I use f32 a good amount. You gotta be an animal sometimes. It's basically an unsafe overhead frame trap. That's how I use it. If you never do it I think you're not playing sr properly. Obviously this depends on who you're playing and what match up.
I agree with that especially if you save 2 bars for that risk taking moment. :)
At the very least you condition the opponent to block high for the rest of the set (extra push back) - and the stagger game can be more successful too.

But it works vica versa: if you do more stagger/F34 first then you can see his patterns and F32 can work better too to re-condition the opponent.

Different threat than Reborn but should not underestimate it. :)

I am rather neutral heavy and safe so I am not the best SR but that extra spice and opportunity can complement the neutral play as well (more options the better).

Considering you can just block the string and full combo punish it basically doesn't matter. But for f34 it is more useful to know
that's not the point though. i already know how to use f34. say you're in chip out situation and you want to go for that f32 death spin. i just discovered that i'm at risk going for that. block punish not coming into equation. just the flawless block stopping your chip momentum

Good idea in general to put the dummy on block all/flawless block then try all strings on them.

That's how I found out how fucking dumb Geras and Erron Black are.

it's just no one's ever flawless blocked my f32. f34? sure but never the f32. made a whole ass punishable string flawless blockable

Matix218

Get over here!
that's not the point though. i already know how to use f34. say you're in chip out situation and you want to go for that f32 death spin. i just discovered that i'm at risk going for that. block punish not coming into equation. just the flawless block stopping your chip momentum
Yeah that is essentially the only situation where it matters IMO. But you could just do d3 or d4~ds which is faster startup if you are just trying to chip out

it's just no one's ever flawless blocked my f32. f34? sure but never the f32. made a whole ass punishable string flawless blockable
F32 and F34 has the same start up. So if someone flawless block your F34 he would flawless block your F32 as well if you do F32 instead of F34.

I made a video about flawless blocking F32 a month ago which shows that F32 xx tele is not invincible either. :)

People try to stop the stagger game more than bothering flawless blocking F34 but in pro matches I saw it (Scar vs. Gunny I think - and it was devastating).
Maybe it is just matter of gameplay level. On my MID level no one flawless block anything not even F42.

F32 and F34 has the same start up. So if someone flawless block your F34 he would flawless block your F32 as well if you do F32 instead of F34.

I made a video about flawless blocking F32 a month ago which shows that F32 xx tele is not invincible either. :)

People try to stop the stagger game more than bothering flawless blocking F34 but in pro matches I saw it (Scar vs. Gunny I think - and it was devastating).
Maybe it is just matter of gameplay level. On my MID level no one flawless block anything not even F42.

yeah. it just seriously took me by surprise because it's never happened before. this was probably the first time someone tried to actively flawless block my f3 strings

yeah. it just seriously took me by surprise because it's never happened before. this was probably the first time someone tried to actively flawless block my f3 strings
Hopefully people will learn the match up soon because it is more fun that way. :)

But so far punishing teleport looks difficult too so flawless block is ice on the cake.

Parasurama

Dragon
I chose Cassie as a sub largely because I wanted to play her as a secondary on announcement last game but never did. I intended to have Frost as that but right now she's not that great. I also chose her because not only does she have footsies like scorpion but in addition she has a safe 9f mid combo starter. A LOT of people (mostly online) just swing for days and dont block or disrespect frames. Cassie you can't swing on her recklessly. If I d1 and it hits or d3 and it hits you aren't beating me out when I use f+4,1

she compliments scorpions more calculated/opportunistic style. She in my case can be far more aggressive and oppress better without having to use defensive bar (I learned Yaas Queen)
I like her character way more in this game, the story, also the stuff she says is cool, the new voice actress. I did not really like her too much in MKX though. I also appreciate her buttons, they are really good, much better than Scorpion I would say, and she has the 9 frame mid to pressure with and get out of pressure with.

I've been using reborn for 3 days. Online KL is STILL frustrating but though I like Searing Rage I'm finding myself having a hard time switching back from Reborn since I can pressure better at times as people are more scared of the TP. I did get pretty salty a few times since online favors a lot of mashers or jumpers. I lost a mirror too where i got aggro'd but at least I tried to steal some of his stuff and it works sometimes. ONLY Downside with the cancel now though is I have to manage defensive bar much more since against someone like sonya for example I don't want to get caught or hit and not have a break away.

Now I'm in a crisis between two variants. I want to use SR as I still love it and it's combo potential (sucks in reborn when I hit someone and realize how much bar I HAVE to blow to get decent damage or curb damage for pressure) but reborn has a good escape move in TP Cancel when people get button happy. Freakin Liu Kangs most of all, even if I push him out with f+3,4 he can still combo start me if I move or try to space. They never seem to block. Liu and Jax players. Feels like they just roll their faces across the controllers/sticks
I feel your pain, but I usually end up sticking with SR. Problem with RB is his offense if the opponent knows TP gimmicks. Especially if they know that blocking f3,4 crouching has far less pushback.

Last edited:

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I like em both. Thing is lately if i lost with RB I’d get irritated and switch to SR and win. Could just be the extra damage from the Kunai power up or my familiarity with the variant. Though I do notice when I try to use a “get out of jail” tp cancel and can’t lol

Matix218

Get over here!
Reborn is better definitely, I just feel it's dirty LUL
Aesthetically I do think searing rage is cooler for sure. The glowing spear tip with the damage buff, scorpion using his kunai for more than just the traditional "spear" move, etc.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
If I'm not using my custom variation I always use SR. Love the Deathspin and him finally using his rope dart as a main weapon.

Error404

Noob
I straight up think SR is better tbh. Teleport cancel is great , but the risk / reward ratio is often not in your favour. I don't think having it is better than all the tools and dmg SR offers .

I straight up think SR is better tbh. Teleport cancel is great , but the risk / reward ratio is often not in your favour. I don't think having it is better than all the tools and dmg SR offers .
If you use the tele cancel to tele away after blocked strings/buttons you have about 100% success ratio.

Risk reward ratio comes to play when it is used for pressure / get in.
But if you use it for whiff punish / whiff-get in you are still more safe than SR as if you miss the timing or the read with regular teleport you are punished 99% (1% for complain thread) but with tele cancel you are not only safe but can start offense.

I do not say anything about which is better - I like SR playstyle more. :)