What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

I am just watching Scar's stream. He picked Searing Rage against Kitana Prime's Jade and won.

Everything he did was Burning Spear always on (even finishing combo with 11 xxBS or 112 into BS) and DS for chipping end of round. That's all. :) And he was good. He played the same up close and reactionary teleport as with Reborn.

With Reborn he plays lot of mixup teleports to get in in a good moment and may whiff punish or just pressure. He is punished for it few times. More times against other pros (nice full combo jab punish). :)
I do not prefer this playstyle but without that it is probably half play.
He likes playing up close and 21, pokes, pressure, etc. I am totally different (and I did not win combo breaker either). :D

And a Sonya player flawless blocked punished F32/F34 3 times in a row nice. :)

Last edited:

Parasurama

Dragon
I am just watching Scar's stream. He picked Searing Rage against Kitana Prime's Jade and won.

Everything he did was Burning Spear always on (even finishing combo with 11 xxBS or 112 into BS) and DS for chipping end of round. That's all. :) And he was good. He played the same up close and reactionary teleport as with Reborn.

With Reborn he plays lot of mixup teleports to get in in a good moment and may whiff punish or just pressure. He is punished for it few times. More times against other pros (nice full combo jab punish). :)
I do not prefer this playstyle but without that it is probably half play.
He likes playing up close and 21, pokes, pressure, etc. I am totally different (and I did not win combo breaker either). :D

And a Sonya player flawless blocked punished F32/F34 3 times in a row nice. :)
Hi do you have link to that stream?

Hi do you have link to that stream?
I found in the TYM looking to the right (Live Streams). It is a twitch stream.
I checked it: https://www.twitch.tv/scar713

It is offline now. But in the videos you can watch the former streams.
Scar plays Scorpion like I do not like playing it (more of a pressure heavy) however it is good to watch how it happens and you can prepare your defense against it - or switch style when you want. :)
Against Sylveryne he was blown up pretty badly (tele cancels: full combo punish, tele: full combo punish). Against Liu forcing the up close battle did not pay off.

Is scar using scorpion as his main now? Or still as an alt/counterpick?
Looks like counterpick.
He played more of Sonya/Jaqui yesterday.

He looks like playing in the same mentality (pressure-mixup) with all the characters he plays. :)
Different characters offer different advantage to support it.

Please help me with advices about the proper gameplan against Erron Black and Geras (with any of Scorp's variations).
How to approach it. Try to figure out myself too but any help is welcome. :)

"Everybody" play Tsang Tsung now though lol. NRS wants to sell this char badly.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Please help me with advices about the proper gameplan against Erron Black and Geras (with any of Scorp's variations).
How to approach it. Try to figure out myself too but any help is welcome. :)

"Everybody" play Tsang Tsung now though lol. NRS wants to sell this char badly.
Error black is pretty easy

NJ all day. He has very few answers to it without you being able to teleport him into oblivion. Error likes to not abide by the rules of neutral... so you also have to stop playing it fairly.

Geras... good luck.

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
do any of you guys have a problem with teleport cancel in lag? i dont mean messing up the input i mean the cancel literally wont come out but offline works 100% of the time. i just want to see if its me and my controller or the game beacause in 120 ping i literally cant play reborn but others do against me all the time

do any of you guys have a problem with teleport cancel in lag? i dont mean messing up the input i mean the cancel literally wont come out but offline works 100% of the time. i just want to see if its me and my controller or the game beacause in 120 ping i literally cant play reborn but others do against me all the time
I did not have this problem yet however I do not really play over 120 ms if not neccessary.
In theory lag should not be a problem unless you press the cancel a bit late due to the latency (e.g. you hitconfirm a string but confirm is too late due to lag).

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
I did not have this problem yet however I do not really play over 120 ms if not neccessary.
In theory lag should not be a problem unless you press the cancel a bit late due to the latency (e.g. you hitconfirm a string but confirm is too late due to lag).
even if i purposely press it late in practice mode i dont have the problem, it only happens when im playing in a laggy environment. maybe i just need a new controller though

Matix218

Get over here!
even if i purposely press it late in practice mode i dont have the problem, it only happens when im playing in a laggy environment. maybe i just need a new controller though
If its only online its prob lag related. Im sure the controller is fine

Reactions: JSF
Over 120 ping I think it might be a problem. 150: horror.
Not just teleport. Pokes, other, punishes, dashes up, etc. :(

It should not played with too much ping it kills the good level game and multiple D1 city activated lol.

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji
I feel the same way when playing against wifi warriors, but generally online can make it tougher to really stack on the mental disruption with scorpion.

For instance, a really common thing for me to do is cancel a teleport to end full screen on a b14 block and then immediately do a teleport to catch movement. After that is established as a thing, I then begin to just cancel the b14 on block close and start a new mind game. Sometimes when hit confirming (block confirming?) the b14 string, my cancel does not actually happen. At first I felt like it was an execution error and I absolutely think that happens more often than people think, but after reviewing some matches, its obvious that its risky to play the way I do above against people on wifi.

Matches against wifi generally makes it hard for me to do those kinds of cancels quickly, like above, but on the flip side I notice non-optimal teleport punishes or challenges way more often against those on wifi.

Baraka feels better online than scorpion, both to play as and against.

I feel the same way when playing against wifi warriors, but generally online can make it tougher to really stack on the mental disruption with scorpion.

For instance, a really common thing for me to do is cancel a teleport to end full screen on a b14 block and then immediately do a teleport to catch movement. After that is established as a thing, I then begin to just cancel the b14 on block close and start a new mind game. Sometimes when hit confirming (block confirming?) the b14 string, my cancel does not actually happen. At first I felt like it was an execution error and I absolutely think that happens more often than people think, but after reviewing some matches, its obvious that its risky to play the way I do above against people on wifi.

Matches against wifi generally makes it hard for me to do those kinds of cancels quickly, like above, but on the flip side I notice non-optimal teleport punishes or challenges way more often against those on wifi.

Oh you just posted the counter play of mixup Reborn: Wifi! :) Thanks I just switched my cable. :p

Does this thing really work? Away tele then tele? :)
I was caught several times by a spear after away tele cancel (totally my mistake as I wanted to jump punish just did not lab it on the fly :D). But I guess it is the same just safer version.

By the way the real mind game that you do regular teleport after B14 on purpose. You would catch me for sure as I probably would try to challenge it.
But that's the mind game. :)

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji
Oh you just posted the counter play of mixup Reborn: Wifi! :) Thanks I just switched my cable. :p

Does this thing really work? Away tele then tele? :)
By the way the real mind game that you do regular teleport after B14 on purpose. You would catch me for sure as I probably would try to challenge it.
But that's the mind game. :)
Yep, the reason it works is that you do it fast enough that they dont have time to think. Normally when scorpion cancels full screen, your opponent realizes it and moves forward a hair because they are reacting to seeing you cancel your teleport full screen, when you immediately teleport again, they are now scared to move after a full screen teleport, even if your last one failed and they punished you, because they expect you to do it again. Your opponent only considers options you present to them during your match. Scorpion can really put mental abuse on an opponent in this game, even when your teleports get punished, because of how "omnipotent" the teleport is. You can jump and teleport, do a regular jump in, jump and teleport cancel, etc. etc. Use that to your advantage to gain resources.

Reborn Scorpion is weakest when he doesnt have defensive bars, get that scorpion to break away or use wake ups often and you will drastically cut down on that characters ability to mix you up by canceling teleport. If you look at replays of top players using reborn, a lot of them play keep away and abuse the resources they have to put pressure and then threaten pressure while waiting for resources.

My own struggle as I try to become a more complete scorpion player is not falling into routines where teleport can get scouted out so easily.

Yep, the reason it works is that you do it fast enough that they dont have time to think. Normally when scorpion cancels full screen, your opponent realizes it and moves forward a hair because they are reacting to seeing you cancel your teleport full screen, when you immediately teleport again, they are now scared to move after a full screen teleport, even if your last one failed and they punished you, because they expect you to do it again. Your opponent only considers options you present to them during your match. Scorpion can really put mental abuse on an opponent in this game, even when your teleports get punished, because of how "omnipotent" the teleport is. You can jump and teleport, do a regular jump in, jump and teleport cancel, etc. etc. Use that to your advantage to gain resources.

Reborn Scorpion is weakest when he doesnt have defensive bars, get that scorpion to break away or use wake ups often and you will drastically cut down on that characters ability to mix you up by canceling teleport. If you look at replays of top players using reborn, a lot of them play keep away and abuse the resources they have to put pressure and then threaten pressure while waiting for resources.

My own struggle as I try to become a more complete scorpion player is not falling into routines where teleport can get scouted out so easily.
Yes text book Scorpion is death. But may be enough for FT2 lol.
But not complete player for sure.

I play Scorpion total differently however I did not play too much Reborn.
When I played cancel for going in/pressure/mental fuckup it was not satisfying just felt this very cheap. Of course it was as nobody resisted to it. Maybe on higher level.

I will not evolve myself toward that playstyle as it is not fun to me.

It might be a downplay of Scorpion for sure but I do not force what I do not like. Reborn can be good even without this. Sometimes I did not use tele cancel in a whole match and did not felt lacking any tool (searing rage, reborn). Lol

Are you from EU or far away from it?
I would play against Reborn and might give you match exp but too many games overload my head lol.

azeth123

We don't talk about Fiji
Yes text book Scorpion is death. But may be enough for FT2 lol.
But not complete player for sure.

I play Scorpion total differently however I did not play too much Reborn.
When I played cancel for going in/pressure/mental fuckup it was not satisfying just felt this very cheap. Of course it was as nobody resisted to it. Maybe on higher level.

I will not evolve myself toward that playstyle as it is not fun to me.

It might be a downplay of Scorpion for sure but I do not force what I do not like.

Are you from EU or far away from it?
I would play against Reborn and might give you match exp but too many games overload my head lol.
I live in the US, but you shouldnt feel that it is cheap. Do you also think Erron Black is cheap because of his oppressive options? Or any number of other characters for that matter? Fighting games will always be about abusing what your best options are, if it isnt scorpion teleport, then its sonya 50/50, its Liu Kang stagger pressure, its Cassie Nut Punch Restand enders, its Kollector F1 Command Grab, its even Scorpions F3 stagger into throw.

Things feel powerful when they work consistently. I felt for a long time Erron Black was a tough match up for me because people would mix me up with B2xxslide, B22xxSlide, B222xxSlide, or simply B222 xx Scud Shot. I then leveled up and watched a video from REO MK about how to fuzzy block Erron Black's B2 mix. Now its still something I have to consider, but I at least have a game plan.

Some options will always be harder to stop than others, this is just how the game is. Geras has an easier game plan than Skarlet, but that just means you have to do your best to minimize his strengths while maximizing yours. Sometimes it isnt always clear what their strengths are and there are certainly times where balancing needs to come in and bring things into line, but in general, if its in the game, you should be using it, especially if you want to win.

I live in the US, but you shouldnt feel that it is cheap. Do you also think Erron Black is cheap because of his oppressive options? Or any number of other characters for that matter? Fighting games will always be about abusing what your best options are, if it isnt scorpion teleport, then its sonya 50/50, its Liu Kang stagger pressure, its Cassie Nut Punch Restand enders, its Kollector F1 Command Grab, its even Scorpions F3 stagger into throw.

Things feel powerful when they work consistently. I felt for a long time Erron Black was a tough match up for me because people would mix me up with B2xxslide, B22xxSlide, B222xxSlide, or simply B222 xx Scud Shot. I then leveled up and watched a video from REO MK about how to fuzzy block Erron Black's B2 mix. Now its still something I have to consider, but I at least have a game plan.

Some options will always be harder to stop than others, this is just how the game is. Geras has an easier game plan than Skarlet, but that just means you have to do your best to minimize his strengths while maximizing yours. Sometimes it isnt always clear what their strengths are and there are certainly times where balancing needs to come in and bring things into line, but in general, if its in the game, you should be using it, especially if you want to win.
Yes I dropped Erron it was too dirty to me. And after all I did not really like how he should have played.

But I like Cassie's playstyle as it matches my defensive footsie oriented play. Yes she is very strong and when I can abuse it too much I feel me pretty cheap too. However it is just the fact that the opponent has no answer.

I play Scorpion rather defensive footsie heavy than mixup heavy. It can be downplay but that's how I like it.
With Reborn there is the opportunity to cancel into mixups which is fun against a potent opponent as it should be real mind game and not free.
But personally I do not want to build my game around this just maybe adding to the footsie game as a "para port". :D

But it is personal preference and all the playstyle should be respected.
I respect your playsytle - but it is a borderline of abusing a very good tool and being cheap. :D But it is NRS's fault not yours! If players start challenging you it will be more fun and much less "cheap".
Few weeks ago I posted that I would wait with Reborn for 3 months to meet prepared players lol. I may keep it.

Well with US I have 150-200 ping that would make no sense playing as nobody would be able to manage each other's tools.

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3

i went through that process mentally too, at irst i thought it was me doing it after certain normals or strings, then i thought it was an input error but i would (knowing im about to lose) teleport 3 or 4 times in a row to see if the cancel works and focus on my input. then go into practice and perform cancels 20x in a row. i really only use reborn against other reborn players in laggy matches because playing practically with other characters doesnt go well but its still very frustrating.

The only real input problem I have with Scorpion is amplifies not coming out because I tend to hit the amp at the same time I do the teleport when I'm stressed. I don't get why that doesn't register like in MKX.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I feel 21 is under utilized. I dont know how practical it is offline but with conditioning I've been able to get enough respect go get 212 on block. 21 can also jail from d3 on hit but the timing is strict of course.

I prefer searing rage and I think this really diversifies his pressure up close. Still trying to implement a lot of other ways to open people up.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I feel 21 is under utilized. I dont know how practical it is offline but with conditioning I've been able to get enough respect go get 212 on block. 21 can also jail from d3 on hit but the timing is strict of course.

I prefer searing rage and I think this really diversifies his pressure up close. Still trying to implement a lot of other ways to open people up.
I just Love that I can hit them with a hot 50% combo as a punish with Searing rage