What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Jhob5

Noob
I use standing 4 for restand. I used to use hellport, but if you do a f3 and your opponent does a perfectly timed d1 he will beat you out and you cant counter hit him. The damage is a little less than a b14 hellport restand but the advantage is way better

I use standing 4 for restand. I used to use hellport, but if you do a f3 and your opponent does a perfectly timed d1 he will beat you out and you cant counter hit him. The damage is a little less than a b14 hellport restand but the advantage is way better
That's the mind game. After hellport there is a pretty good space to whiff punish the opponent D1 even without stepping back. Reward is not too much though just around 140-150 without meter. So reward is a throw amount of damage after the restand if you have no meter. But I guess nobody resets with 1 bar. Or do you? :)

I destroy most opponents. Which is a good thing. But when I win it’s not satisfying. It’s like, I won yeah, but it’s because Scorpion is annoying as fuck to fight against. I want to play footsies and all that shit that I love. Which is why I main 3 characters now. But the 2 other characters I use are pretty boring too. I feel like I’m winning too easily, or I lose because I don’t know the MU. I learn the MU then it’s back to unsatisfying wins. I want to have fun while I’m winning.

Guess I’ll just keep grinding until the DLC comes out. Very excited for every DLC character actually, especially Nightwolf.
Ok but you "complained" that you are bored because good players is difficult to open up (in that case I think you would need footsies what you like! - so I do not understand).
Now you say you destroy opponents = they are not good players (or at least worse than you). I understand lol.

I do not know your opponents but if you are above average you can find too much noobs online. I consider myself medium level and online is still a joke most of the times. :)
And most of the time I do not meet better players just unknown match ups (and lag mashers). Like you said lol.
Maybe you just need better partners and problem solved.

I think my Scorpion is not annoying as I rather play footsies and pretty defensive play than staggering F3 into death: that way I can learn match ups too (I can watch better what the opponent does).

For better footsies I picked Cassie Cage too but do not played too much, yet. I think she is all about footsies and neutral. But I do not think it will be more exciting just finally being able to fight up close properly with 9F-11F MID lol.
I do not really like zoning and keeping away (that is footsies too though) that's why Scorpion was always a good choice to me starting from mkx (I exchange zoning to shut it down).

With Erron Black I did not feel satisfied winning at all lol. Probably that's why I do not force it.
And despite the fact that I see Jacqui and Sonya pretty strong (top1-4 lol no surprise) I just do not like that rushdown, mixing playstyle never did.

Please drop me some video footage about your gameplay if you have I am interested in your playstyle (not against noobs). :)
I may try to capture some too however I do not really feel anybody is interested in and can learn from it. I usually watch back matches to learn when I felt too much bullshit (like yesterday against a 170 ping masher Baraka lol - I did not check Baraka moves yet at all). If I know I will capture it I will be nervous and play bad lol.

Last edited:
I do.

At Combo Breaker, I saw Killer Xinok re-stand with standing 4 after EX spear. The damage is slightly higher than 2,1 while the hit advantage is only less by one frame.

I agree with you about using meaty f+3. Using b+1,4,3 gets you killed.

Meaty 1,1 is also good. The second hit beats throw tech, uppercut, and jumping and is safe versus rolls.
are you saying meaty 1,1 after s4 or after knockdown

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I destroy most opponents. Which is a good thing. But when I win it’s not satisfying. It’s like, I won yeah, but it’s because Scorpion is annoying as fuck to fight against. I want to play footsies and all that shit that I love. Which is why I main 3 characters now. But the 2 other characters I use are pretty boring too. I feel like I’m winning too easily, or I lose because I don’t know the MU. I learn the MU then it’s back to unsatisfying wins. I want to have fun while I’m winning.

Guess I’ll just keep grinding until the DLC comes out. Very excited for every DLC character actually, especially Nightwolf.
You main 3 top 5 type characters (Scorpion/Geras/Jacqui Juggs please) and then say it's getting boring because you're unchallenged lmao! Maybe try a new character(s) that can't do everything combined in the game at elite levels and you'll find more enjoyment or reward from the characters or game brahhh.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
You main 3 top 5 type characters (Scorpion/Geras/Jacqui Juggs please) and then say it's getting boring because you're unchallenged lmao! Maybe try a new character(s) that can't do everything combined in the game at elite levels and you'll find more enjoyment or reward from the characters or game brahhh.
I’m well aware MaltMaker

M2Dave

Zoning Master
are you saying meaty 1,1 after s4 or after knockdown
After knockdown, use 1,1.

After standing 4, use 2,1, which is +2 on block. 2,1 jails after standing 4 hits, even if you do mini dash.

Also in Searing Rage I have to play incredibly patiently with the life lead. It’s not worth the risk to pressure when you don’t need to since his only true mix is f3/f34/f3 throw stuff.
I agree, but I think Scorpion should be played defensively and patiently in both variations. Excessively relying on teleport mix ups gets you killed as players are punishing teleport better and better each day.

After standing 4, use 2,1, which is +2 on block. 2,1 jails after standing 4 hits, even if you do mini dash.

I agree, but I think Scorpion should be played defensively and patiently in both variations. Excessively relying on teleport mix ups gets you killed as players are punishing teleport better and better each day.
I like playing Scorpion defensively and patiently and get the opportunity to punish.
Against good player it is even more fun as opening people up with Scorpion it is not that easy (excluding tele mixups but I do not use it).

I can not be really bored with that playstyle though. And destorying opponent will show more of an outplay than dirt or luck.
But Scorpion has really good buttons which helps "being good" haha.

So far I could only play that successful patient play with Erron Black but it felt easier.
And probably will try Cassie too.

I was not clicked to Kitana unfortunately - I am not dedicated enough to her. She was too much neutral ONLY. :)
Kabal was fine but too boring.

Still Scorpion is the most fun to me as I can play with him as I want.
Reborn makes me too crazy though but I will wait for 6 months to play with him as I do not want to play against unprepared people.

I will try that 11 on knock down. I do not like -6 on block though.
I guess the 11 is recommended after 112 or 212+4 as after spear there is quite a space and meaty 11 is not really possible.

Last edited:
And another "meaty" lol.
And it pretty much covers every option (probably including jumps into meaty F3 but did not try) for Scorpion into F3 pressure on block wake up.

To me it is pretty kills the fun guessing game so maybe I will skip it as I play Kasuals and with friends anyway.
And it is pretty game breaking if there is really no good option to the opponent.
Fortunately the wake up frames are different for each characters so it might be not that easy to learn againts all characters. But I guess if it is timed for the latest possible wake up to release the block it is still work as rolls happen later.
Scorpion teleport which fast enough to punish rolls in that scenario is pretty digusting (OS into 300 lol).

Fwd throw is the only option against Scorpion in that case I guess.

Last edited:

Matix218

Get over here!
For the standard reborn bnb of (starter), ex teleport, f3, 112 (if you dont want a 11~spear side switch) do you guys have any tricks to the 112 timing on female hitbox characters? I know the whole "f3, 11 spear" timing is different on females as you have a much tighter window to connect 11 after f3 on females but it seems even tighter if you want to hit 112 and not whiff the 2. This is a total non issue on male characters as the timing on male characters is extremely forgiving. Any tips on getting more consistent with the 112 ender on females?

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator

Yeah 100%. Which I love playing defensively and patiently.

One thing I’ve noticed when Scorpion is full screen or close to it, throwing out spears is a very good option. Because if they just hold down, that means they are at risk to his teleport. So they will have to block the spear sometimes so it’s free chip. And sometimes you get a lucky connection with the spear, which if far enough leads to his KB and massive damage.

Yeah 100%. Which I love playing defensively and patiently.

One thing I’ve noticed when Scorpion is full screen or close to it, throwing out spears is a very good option. Because if they just hold down, that means they are at risk to his teleport. So they will have to block the spear sometimes so it’s free chip. And sometimes you get a lucky connection with the spear, which if far enough leads to his KB and massive damage.
Agreed.
Opponent with long recovery projectile might not throw it out to not to get punished by teleport so spear can be free and good projectile outside of punish range. On trade it is not a disaster either (if not Geras lol).

And against Jaqui I also started feeling the power of DS and DS ender.
Full screen to force Jaqui to work her way in and free BS and spear over oki are worth it mid screen. But against her the oki game is strong too.

Against her the DS in neutral is an okayish conditioning tool as well because from max range she can not punish it but with bionic dash but not KB (60 damage vs 30-40 chip) but she is conditioned to be cautious in that range which can help the footsies game as well.

I believe Reborn might be better against jaquie due to escape factor no experience so just theory (bionic dash might be able to punish away tele I did not lab it but still a mixup instead of giving Jaqui guaranteed pressure after B143). I am happy with SR yet at least I can utilize more SR tools.

Last edited:

Matix218

Get over here!
For the standard reborn bnb of (starter), ex teleport, f3, 112 (if you dont want a 11~spear side switch) do you guys have any tricks to the 112 timing on female hitbox characters? I know the whole "f3, 11 spear" timing is different on females as you have a much tighter window to connect 11 after f3 on females but it seems even tighter if you want to hit 112 and not whiff the 2. This is a total non issue on male characters as the timing on male characters is extremely forgiving. Any tips on getting more consistent with the 112 ender on females?
@Hor_PeT @M2Dave @Juggs any tips or tricks for consistency on the above post regarding the different timing for the bnb on female characters (jade, etc)? I have even seen several tournament players (scar included) drop this so I figured I'd ask

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
@Hor_PeT @M2Dave @Juggs any tips or tricks for consistency on the above post regarding the different timing for the bnb on female characters (jade, etc)? I have even seen several tournament players (scar included) drop this so I figured I'd ask
Idk I use Searing Rage. So in this situation I believe I do 21 2+4. Can’t remember in my head, when I get home I’ll see what I do. Most stuff like this is muscle memory so it’s hard to tell people what I do unless I’m in front of the game, lol.

I already wrote it. It works 100% consistency: F3, dash, 11.

I use it with SR too as it can bait breakaway perfectly (112 vs 11xx spear).

Others may not do the lab work just win CB.

Matix218

Get over here!
I already wrote it. It works 100% consistency: F3, dash, 11.

I use it with SR too as it can bait breakaway perfectly (112 vs 11xx spear).

Others may not do the lab work just win CB.
Thanks! So do you use the dash on male characters too just for consistency/ muscle memory?

Thanks! So do you use the dash on male characters too just for consistency/ muscle memory?
Against males I think I do not tire my finger lol. But I do it many times and comes to my mind (it was a waste).

If I forget it against a female and drop once I say "oh f*ck" and will do it again.

Against females if you do perfect timing the dash is not needed. But the extra dash makes it comfortable I think.

It works for me. I am curious about your experience.

Matix218

Get over here!
Against males I think I do not tire my finger lol. But I do it many times and comes to my mind (it was a waste).

If I forget it against a female and drop once I say "oh f*ck" and will do it again.

Against females if you do perfect timing the dash is not needed. But the extra dash makes it comfortable I think.

I will try the dash out after work tonight and let you know. Thanks!

Matix218

Get over here!

Yup, you were right, as long as you dash between f3 and 11 on female characters you can hit 112 ender (and the 11 spear too) every time. Thanks bud!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
On oki (opponents wakeup), been trying out @SHAOLIN’s Block, D1 f3 option select. Works pretty well. If they wakeup throw you tech, if they back roll the f3 can connect, if they wakeup u2/u3 you block, if they forward roll you teleport. The teleport can be blocked though.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Just skimming through and just curious about one thing, is Hellport reset not mainly use and is S4 reset better?

so what is scorpion supposed to do against things like liu kang f4 staggers or jax f3 staggers
F4,3,u3 has a gap before u3.

You can jab punish it, f/block u2 punish it, f/block then punish it, etc. he has plenty of options.

I just keep it simple with d3. It beats all of his options except for f4,3 xx low fireball. Good thing is it’s punishable.

With Jax I like to just block his f3 string.

F4,3,u3 has a gap before u3.

You can jab punish it, f/block u2 punish it, f/block then punish it, etc. he has plenty of options.

I just keep it simple with d3. It beats all of his options except for f4,3 xx low fireball. Good thing is it’s punishable.

With Jax I like to just block his f3 string.
I know the liu kang gap but I couldn't interrupt at all in like 100+ ping. I feel like if I'm blocking jax I've already lost.