What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Show me a matchup where she's dominant, I'll prove it's 5-5 at the most.

He'll remain a bad matchup even if teleport gets normalised. Anyone who can teleport shuts down zoners who can not.

I know. I'd much prefer Jade's rushdown variation to have merit but Vault can be blown up by several d2-s and pokes right now and her cancels are... I'm not going to say useless because stopping an autorun skill has its uses, but they are very negative and give her nothing.

Most of the decent Jades you will face avoid jumping around like an idiot and throwing projectiles that you can cross like an obstacle course. I think you misunderstand the difference between zoning and being an annoying twat with a zoner character.
If you're on PC I'll gladly fight you to alleviate some of the misunderstandings.

The matchup is a clusterfuck right now, Scorpion vs Jade. I put it at a 6-4 but I've heard people who I trust, call it worse.

I saw Waz playing Jade on Combo Breaker as a zoner. He did it pretty well - and that's frustration.
That was what I meant. Against it a Scorpion should be a legit 6-4.

But you might be right even that Jade has 5-5 match ups just not easy to play against.

Match up numbers mean anything on high level the most - I have really hard time against Jade in general. And was not fun lol. She has annoying tools I can not really play good neutral against her. My bad.

Everything she does is unsafe on whiff and if she starts up any move that's slower than your teleport, you can full combo punish if you have meter. And Scorpion does quite a bit of damage off of a mb teleport.

Not going to downplay her and say she has no strengths but people grossly overestimate how good she is.
She can do work. But if you watch BigD vs Waz you'll see traces of what I'm talking about when I say she's really unsafe with high risk, low reward.

At the end of the day it's the player that makes the most difference not the character.
I saw Waz vs Dragon yet. I saw how good she is. :)
I hope I will not miss the match - lot of hours to watch on youtube.

I labbed Jade and know her flaws. But I am not comfortable in the match up yet as I did not run into too many Jades.
Yesterday I had no patience against Emerald with Erron Black and when I switched to Scorpion he switched too from Jade so I could not learn it as Scorpion lol.

I saw Waz vs Dragon yet. I saw how good she is. :)
I hope I will not miss the match - lot of hours to watch on youtube.

I labbed Jade and know her flaws. But I am not comfortable in the match up yet as I did not run into too many Jades.
Yesterday I had no patience against Emerald with Erron Black and when I switched to Scorpion he switched too from Jade so I could not learn it as Scorpion lol.
"(i12 teleport is sick, man.)"

What does it mean?

Tbh I play SR variation to focus more on fundamentals but I could do it with Reborn as well lol.

Why are we even talking about this?

Because Scar used him in one matchup in top 8 and none of the other Scorpion players made it anywhere?
I dont think so. I do not see Sonicfox, semiij, Waz, Scar complaining here. :)

I dont think it is an issue on really high level as if it was we would have seen many Scorpion mirrors in top 96/48 instead of Geras mirrors lol.

Sonicfox said it well: Scorpion is not top5 anymore as he needs to take risks.

Last edited:
I just watched Scar vs Waz.
It was pretty lol. Lot of respect from both side. If this is the proper play for match up from both side it is pretty boring.
Jade can not throw projectile but Scorpion can not really play footsies against her.
I never liked playing against Jade lol. Maybe that's why.

Wasn't my idea, it was actually several Scorpion mains who suggested this.

I agree with that change, but at the same time I trust NRS to know their own game balance better than any player.
Whatever they'll change is fine with me as long as some of the current problems with the game are addressed.

I'm not here to shit on your character, like some people who come into the Jade thread do. This is what I started my narrative with: I simply want problems solved.
I'm addressing the fact that Scorpion's teleport bothers a lot of people right now (among them people who play him) and I wanted to see the perspective of the more reasonable people - hopefully most people who play him and post on this forum.

Those Scorpion mains who I play regularly themselves agree that it's incredibly strong for a tool in a game that was advertised as "more honest and based around fundamentals."

If you or @Hor_PeT don't want to discuss any of my above points, I'll be on my way.
I'm not on this board to get in pointless arguing, I'm here for the knowledge and the discussion.
your first mistake was trusting nrs with balance. there has never been a middle ground for nrs with balance. they're either too hard or too soft

I saw kombat playing Raiden.against Dragon's Cetrion.
lol that teleport is so effective even meterless. I still dunno the frames but Dragon did not challenge even the meterless lol.

It looks like the biggest neutral f.up lol.
Teleport in...block.. I am in hurray. :) Okay Scorpion is "plus" on tele cancel as they need to block the normal. Big difference but Raiden was pretty sick with it.

However I remember my few games again a Raiden. He teleported and I always D1/S1 punished. It looked not too scary but probably beginners luck as I dont know Raiden.

EDIT: hm Dragon learnt the match up in 1 match.and punished every teleport then lol. Gg

Last edited:
I saw kombat playing Raiden.against Dragon's Cetrion.
lol that teleport is so effective even meterless. I still dunno the frames but Dragon did not challenge even the meterless lol.

It looks like the biggest neutral f.up lol.
Teleport in...block.. I am in hurray. :) Okay Scorpion is "plus" on tele cancel as they need to block the normal. Big difference but Raiden was pretty sick with it.

However I remember my few games again a Raiden. He teleported and I always D1/S1 punished. It looked not too scary but probably beginners luck as I dont know Raiden.

EDIT: hm Dragon learnt the match up in 1 match.and punished every teleport then lol. Gg
Raiden can also mix it up with the far teleport and punish your whiffed button.

I am just watching Scar vs Foxy Grampa.

Lol that nerves from Foxy... couldn't punish teleport 2 times and get caught by amplified once in 1 matches. And he couldnt punish his very minus fatal blow by mistake. Huge and crucial mistakes by one of th best players.
Now I understand that nerf is needed lol (joking).

Scorpions scares the hell out of the people.

Cassie has sick neutral so I understand how he played that way. Unfortunately Scorpion's sick neutral can be beaten by other characters - that's when good old teleport comes in handy. :)

Reborn looks pretty versatile.

I dont like that kind of Scorpion play he did not even use b14 footsie game just rushing down poke poke jab jab. Sometimes I do when I am pumped up in my mind lol. Other than that slower neutral game.
But I accept that footsies game would have not really worked against the footsie god Foxy & Cassie. :)

To be honest Scar's Scorpion was not nice and clean but rather a madman lol. But really worked. He did 3-4 D1 in a row last match lol. That was pretty intense.

Last edited:
Ok, but Foxy lost, and lost badly, against a Scorpion that wasn’t even Scar’s main. So either Foxy was wrong about his own skill, or wrong about Scorpion being overrated. And that’s the thing people need to remember: pros don’t know everything, and really they only know stuff that applies at their level of play, which most of us will never achieve. Scorpion’s tp has a floor effect to its usefulness. Yes, a pro can use it better than a casual, but it’s probably the single best move in the game, and just having access to it dramatically improves a casual player’s success. It’s not a hard tool to use. No game should be balanced solely around top-level play, because that means you’re taking only a tiny, tiny fraction of all players into account. Scorp’s tp isn’t only too good, it’s too EASY. It’s tough to make it more complicated, so it needs to be less good. But if I’m wrong, someone by all means show me who Scorp’s bad matchups are.
i wouldn't exactly call cassie foxy's main. if anything foxy has been playing cassie as much as scar has been playing scorpion. scorpion is most certainly overrated. i've heard people say he's the best character in the game and this is an over exaggeration. ok but a casual's success, someone extremely below anyone that makes top 16 should have very little input in what goes in terms of balance. a lot of casuals don't play seriously, don't train seriously, and don't want to put in the work seriously. a lot of casuals probably don't even play online. it shouldn't be solely balanced around top player opinion because some of them could be hard bias to shift the meta towards their playstyle or to keep their characters strong but there are some who can see what clearly is wrong about the game and may have a believe case as to what should be changed. all casuals do is complain and cry nerf or buff. that's not something nrs should be listening to but they often do anyway and we have to suffer for it with bad balance. sure scorpion's teleport is strong but I'm almost positive that scorpion would get hit too hard with the nerfs because of casual outcry.

Dunno, I thought Scar's Scorpion is clean and calculated as fuck. Seemed like he only busted out the stupid when he felt like Foxy was scared.
they act like scar just picked scorpion for the hell of it when he probably has good experience fighting scorpion and playing scorpion. i don't even think hayatei picked scorpion all of combo breaker

Jhob5

Noob
so what is the actual OS for telecancel? I wanna know so I can confirm single hits lol. Not the confirm the confirm off two hits is pretty easy with telecancel

Ok I've tried to raise the topic indirectly multiple times, but I guess I'll have to do it more directly, especially since there's no thread dedicated to the topic: does Scorp currently have any bad/difficult matchups at all? Like I can't think of a single matchup that I'd consider worse than 5/5 for him, and nobody else that I've seen has been discussing them.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Ok I've tried to raise the topic indirectly multiple times, but I guess I'll have to do it more directly, especially since there's no thread dedicated to the topic: does Scorp currently have any bad/difficult matchups at all? Like I can't think of a single matchup that I'd consider worse than 5/5 for him, and nobody else that I've seen has been discussing them.
yep, very interesting point of view here .... Scorpion seems to be the most stable of all, with no real bad matchups, and maximum 5-5 tied to some others, like Sonya, Jacqui, Erron etc .... I think this was made purposely by Ed Boon in this game, haha :DOGE

Today I Reborn. I got a message that I win only due to the teleport especially the cancel lol.
It was written by a teleport and dive kick spammer after the 2nd match and I did not really use teleport outside combos lol.

By the way it is very easy to get used to the block confirm tele cancel into D4 or any pressure as nobody are prepared (low-mid level playing). That makes a bit disappointing playing Reborn lol.
But of course it brings more adrenalin lol.

With searing rage I was more patient. Now who cares about blocked b14 lol.

Maybe my footsie play does not improve with Reborn. So I need to play Erron Black too. :)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
No one knows with any amount of certainty yet. Right now there’s no clear cut bad matchups for Scorpion. He seems pretty even with most characters and could possibly win some matchups vs heavy zoners.