What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Real talk since you mentioned how scorpion and a few other characters basically have no bad MUs: do you think the others are better since they have more advantageous MUs and Scorpion just has more evens, or do you think they all do well in MUs that Scorp doesn't?
it's not that scorpion doesn't have bad MUs. it's just that he can play the pace of the game to his style and it especially depends on the player more than it does on scorpion. they also say he just kills zoning which that's kinda how it's been because he's scorpion but apparently it's now a problem

Damn I love Scar's Scorpion. That was some sick fucking play and I don't get why he didn't go for Scorpion earlier. Also love how he always goes for the 11 punishes, just to make sure he gets his damage. Scorpion shits on Cassie's kb string with d4 even though we didn't really see that.
His d3 into 21 jailing and the play off the plus frames was cool though.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
it's not that scorpion doesn't have bad MUs. it's just that he can play the pace of the game to his style and it especially depends on the player more than it does on scorpion. they also say he just kills zoning which that's kinda how it's been because he's scorpion but apparently it's now a problem
The teleport is a problem now because of its mid-hitting properties, 23 frame start up, and the double-hitting amplified version.

To give some context, Scorpion's teleport in Mortal Kombat 9 hit high and had 30 frames of start up so it was more along the lines of what Noob's teleport is now in Mortal Kombat 11.

The teleport is a problem now because of its mid-hitting properties, 23 frame start up, and the double-hitting amplified version.

To give some context, Scorpion's teleport in Mortal Kombat 9 hit high and had 30 frames of start up so it was more along the lines of what Noob's teleport is now in Mortal Kombat 11.
I don't remember it being that big on startup. I know mkx scorpion's teleport is 1 frame faster than mk11 scorpion's and was also a mid. it was always this thing that I at least used to beat zoning but I never heard this much complaining back in mkx

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I don't remember it being that big on startup. I know mkx scorpion's teleport is 1 frame faster than mk11 scorpion's and was also a mid. it was always this thing that I at least used to beat zoning but I never heard this much complaining back in mkx
Mortal Kombat X is a fast-paced, highly offensive oriented game that focuses on mix ups and okizeme. There is no need to worry about the teleport when the goal is to advance forward, not zone, and put your opponent in continously disadvantageous situations.

The teleport cancel is what makes him dangerous. Searing Rage is a higher mid tier variation that loses all of its threat as soon as 3,4 kb is gone. Scorpion base kit has 0 mixups to open people up and struggles up close due to the 7f jab and his fastest mid being 13f.
With that teleport though, he can play as lame as he wants and fuck people up with throws, whiff punishes and 21s out of nowhere.

Mortal Kombat X is a fast-paced, highly offensive oriented game that focuses on mix ups and okizeme. There is no need to worry about the teleport when the goal is to advance forward, not zone, and put your opponent in continously disadvantageous situations.
yeah but scorpion didn't really do that outside of hellfire. no one falls for inferno mixup and ninjitsu was more mix and footsies. there was definitely some zoning tools in mkx to the point where it warranted me using scorpion's genuinely fast teleport.

The teleport cancel is what makes him dangerous. Searing Rage is a higher mid tier variation that loses all of its threat as soon as 3,4 kb is gone. Scorpion base kit has 0 mixups to open people up and struggles up close due to the 7f jab and his fastest mid being 13f.
With that teleport though, he can play as lame as he wants and fuck people up with throws, whiff punishes and 21s out of nowhere.
i'd be fine with them taking away amplified teleport on block but anything more than could virtually ruin reborn. it lives and dies by the teleport.

i'd be fine with them taking away amplified teleport on block but anything more than could virtually ruin reborn. it lives and dies by the teleport.
Wasn't really talking about nerfs. I think the game is fine. There's just a couple of characters that need some buffs. Looking at Kano, Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah. Having shit frames and not even big reward for taking the risks they take has to suck.
Also there's some characters that aren't bad per se but have some really wonky shit going on that should be fixed, that would also make them stronger like Shao Kahn.

Wasn't really talking about nerfs. I think the game is fine. There's just a couple of characters that need some buffs. Looking at Kano, Kotal Kahn and D'Vorah. Having shit frames and not even big reward for taking the risks they take has to suck.
Also there's some characters that aren't bad per se but have some really wonky shit going on that should be fixed, that would also make them stronger like Shao Kahn.
yeah there definitely has to be some bug fixes and hitbox fixes but the majority of this site is campaigning for scorpion nerfs and I know they're coming.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
yeah there definitely has to be some bug fixes and hitbox fixes but the majority of this site is campaigning for scorpion nerfs and I know they're coming.
No reason to worry about nerfs. NRS will do what they will do. Just use the next best character who fits your gameplay style.

No reason to worry about nerfs. NRS will do what they will do. Just use the next best character who fits your gameplay style.
yeah but I love scorpion. it's rough when he's like one of if not the most online complained about character. I kindof have a secondary but I just hope they don't hit scorpion too hard

So i saw raptor doing this but I dunno if its a good idea. I watched a video of raptor using reborn. He was telecancelling away if the b1 string was blocking but confirming it fully on hit. Is this a good idea? I started doing this and its nice to not take the - frames on the b1 string and hitconfirming it on it. Also is it possible to confirm single hits like this? Itd pretty good if you could hit confirm b2 like this. I also saw a reborn on stream on combobreaker (xinock) teleporting away if he gets blocked
B2 xx Teleport cancel can be option selected. Meaning if b2 hits teleport will too. If it’s blocked teleport cancels. If he was option selecting all he had to do was hit confirm the amplifier.

People like crying. Especially in TYM. There are 10-20 players (not even pro lol) max always crying here that is not the whole community.

Here in Scorpion forum just few of us posting all they. We "represent" Scorpion community lol? No... :)

EDIT: I fixed the issues with deleting all the duplications. It looks like lot of people messages were erased by TYM bug.

Last edited:
Do you think he is only higher mid tier without tele cancel?
Searing Rage still has the "sick" footsies play - and a bit more damage potential (in certain match ups the spear moves are legit stuff).
Tip for F34 kb: use kb activation for button. You do not have to use it for the first opportunity. :) Without KB it is a good info to know if he is mashing or not. You can use that info to risk an F32 too lol.

Other than that I agree that tele cancel gives him more freedom on the field.
But I played Scorpion who just "overused" that tele cancel and I did not believe in his real teleport anymore: he was punished by reaction (to the teleport not to the cancel). I do not know if tele cancel can be reacted AND punished properly. I tried reacting tele cancel into 21 but I was late with D1 (it was 160 ping though).
So for the real mixup you need to do real teleports as well. Which is a big risk. :) But even with that risk the risk reward is probably in Scorpion's favor.

Using tele cancel to get in and/or mix is personal preference.
I rather play real footsies. But tele cancel can support it too.

I do not play Reborn yet to not getting lazy with footsies but improve. And teleport still helps a lot as makes whiff punishing much easier in certain cases.
But I do not go to tournament to optimize stuff. :)

After Scorpion I struggle a bit with other characters in footsies but it is probably I just did not play too much with them.
Or just missing the good footsie tools. :)

Last edited:

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
Do you think he is only higher mid tier without tele cancel?
Searing Rage still has the "sick" footsies play - and a bit more damage potential (in certain match ups the spear moves are legit stuff).
Tip for F34 kb: use kb activation for button. You do not have to use it for the first opportunity. :) Without KB it is a good info to know if he is mashing or not. You can use that info to risk an F32 too lol.

Other than that I agree that tele cancel gives him more freedom on the field.
But I played Scorpion who just "overused" that tele cancel and I did not believe in his real teleport anymore: he was punished by reaction (to the teleport not to the cancel). I do not know if tele cancel can be reacted AND punished properly. I tried reacting tele cancel into 21 but I was late with D1 (it was 160 ping though).
So for the real mixup you need to do real teleports as well. Which is a big risk. :) But even with that risk the risk reward is probably in Scorpion's favor.

Using tele cancel to get in and/or mix is personal preference.
I rather play real footsies. But tele cancel can support it too.

I do not play Reborn yet to not getting lazy with footsies but improve. And teleport still helps a lot as makes whiff punishing much easier in certain cases.
But I do not go to tournament to optimize stuff. :)

After Scorpion I struggle a bit with other characters in footsies but it is probably I just did not play too much with them.
Or just missing the good footsie tools. :)
Just for the record, you don‘t have to cancel the teleport right next to them. If I get punished for it I use the fullscreen cancel and wait for the punish attempt and use spear or another teleport. Commiting is also a mix yeah but right now people still can‘t punish it properly so he gets away with a lot of unpunished opportunities

Just for the record, you don‘t have to cancel the teleport right next to them. If I get punished for it I use the fullscreen cancel and wait for the punish attempt and use spear or another teleport. Commiting is also a mix yeah but right now people still can‘t punish it properly so he gets away with a lot of unpunished opportunities
That is okay for sure and thx for highlighting. That's what I called "supporting footsies" - cancelling away and go bac to footsies range. :)

I was mainly talking about tele cancel for getting in and mix or using tele cancel to mix on block (e.g. B14xxtele cancel, 21).

I agree that right now even on tournament I saw lot of unpunished stuff.
It is personal preference but I do not abuse that fact but play the way I expect proper play from the opponent (it is a disadvantage as I do not play the match ups either - but it is how I like to play).
Probably that's why I do not abuse tele cancel mixes as it is likely not managed properly = no fun to me).

Last edited:

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
That is okay for sure and thx for highlighting. That's what I called "supporting footsies" - cancelling away and go bac to footsies range. :)

I was mainly talking about tele cancel for getting in and mix or using tele cancel to mix on block (e.g. B14xxtele cancel, 21).

I agree that right now even on tournament I saw lot of unpunished stuff.
It is personal preference but I do not abuse that fact but play the way I expect proper play from the opponent (it is a disadvantage as I do not play the match ups either - but it is how I like to play).
Probably that's why I do not abuse tele cancel mixes as it is likely not managed properly = no fun to me).
I mean, searing rage is also a great variation for sure. F3 staggers,b1 and d4 alone make this character extremely good he just plays the neutral very well. Both variations are very good imo but for completely different reasons.

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
that is NOT option select, that is just hitconfirm with TP, option select is when you press SAME input for both situations
This is something that's been said before that I agreed with for a teleport change:
  • Teleport a high.
  • Can only MB on hit, not on block or on whiff.
  • Launch properties on his combo starters adjusted so teleport being a high does not ruin his combo potential.
  • Cancel to be in line with other cancels in the game in safety. (Bit too safe right now)
What a bullshit. Scorpion have 2 core moves
  1. Teleport
  2. f3
Touch one of them and you broke the character. Teleport is a high TOTALLY destroy core move, "Can only MB on hit, not on block or on whiff" maybe, but high... No, that is bs.

@Zhidoreptiloid it is the option select. Do you even play this character? You hit confirm b1 to know if you want to TP, NOT 4. If b1 is blocked you finish the string.

You can do the same exact thing with b2 (OS).

Clearly you didn’t actually look at the inputs on the video.

Last edited: