What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

The hitstun seems to be much bigger on d3. I can't even confirm if d1 hit tbh, I can with d3 and a bit of practice though. When I press d1 I mix myself up lol.
Wow you are getting faster hitconfirming D3 lol.
Next you will hitconfirm f3 and b2.

I will also check that D3 as it is just 1 frame slower but much more potential in it (S2 jail into nice stuff).
Of course against 6F opponents that 1 frame matters more but most cases you check -3 -4 where it shouldnt. There are many -1 -2 moves in mk11 though.

In MKX I preferred D3 over D1 but D1 here it is 1 frame slower everything.
In MKX I was pretty okay with Tremor's 8F D1 where all his fast moves were high and needed to poke first. :)

Last edited:
Wow you are getting faster hitconfirming D3 lol.
Next you will hitconfirm f3 and b2.

I will also check that D3 as it is just 1 frame slower but much more potential in it (S2 jail into nice stuff).
Of course against 6F opponents that 1 frame matters more but most cases you check -3 -4 where it shouldnt. There are many -1 -2 moves in mk11 though.

In MKX I preferred D3 over D1 but D1 here it is 1 frame slower everything.
In MKX I was pretty okay with Tremor's 8F D1 where all his fast moves were high and needed to poke first. :)
I practice vs Subz most of the time & he has a 6f d1. Idk what to say about it but I don’t even try to press the advantage after d1 on hit. If you try to pressure with a high string your opponent can literally mash d2 lol.

I practice vs Subz most of the time & he has a 6f d1. Idk what to say about it but I don’t even try to press the advantage after d1 on hit. If you try to pressure with a high string your opponent can literally mash d2 lol.
Agreed. F3 or B1 or throw is good enough.
F3 is kind pressure too fortunately.
+2 on block pressure is not that good as F3 but I think it is not bad at all.
If you win a D1/D3 after +2 you are in the same situation.
I could actually throw a lot after 21 probably they were bad players or afraid of 212.
I did not really want to press buttons after.21 against Scorpiom either.
Especially if walk back whiff punish work against poke after 21.

I will lab both that walk back and d3 into S2 jail issue.
I think S1 from D1/D3 does not worth it as B14 can do the same if you read mashing. S2 would be the thing as on block it is also your turn and thats win/win.

Lol I checked D3 is just +1 frame more recovery and +1 on hit so you have 2 more frames compared to D1 to confirm+jail. And 1 to not miss timing.
But that's +100% chance to hit the timing lol.

Hm D3 is less range than D1. In counter poke situation it can whiff meh.
21 is doable after D3 but probably using MID is more reliable on read.
21 would make it much better though.

I tested 21 on block walk back punish it really works lol nice. That's strong mind game. My friend will hate me more as he is already sick of my walk back punish his pokes lol.

Last edited:
Lol my Shao Kahn friend can not be tricked with walk back punish after 21 twice. He was so pissed lol.
Then he always mashed D2 and D4 or even F3 so only the basic D1/D3 follow up worked lol (I did not crouch after 21 to bait D2 though). And he did it so random so throw kounter does not really work against it either.
Well in that case 21 does not do much lol.

However I should have done the 212 to earn respect (a bit damage and safe BS up) or later more plus frames but it did not come to my mind. My bad next time.

Jhob5

Noob
So i saw raptor doing this but I dunno if its a good idea. I watched a video of raptor using reborn. He was telecancelling away if the b1 string was blocking but confirming it fully on hit. Is this a good idea? I started doing this and its nice to not take the - frames on the b1 string and hitconfirming it on it. Also is it possible to confirm single hits like this? Itd pretty good if you could hit confirm b2 like this. I also saw a reborn on stream on combobreaker (xinock) teleporting away if he gets blocked

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Does Scorpion have any bad MUs? If so who?
I don’t think he has any bad MU’s. The hard MU’s I think are just characters that are really good anyway, so not really a MU thing. Scorpion being able to not be zoned means he’s comfortable at all times. He does great damage, great comeback factor, hard to zone him (not impossible, teleport does have startup so fast projectiles that also recover fast like Cassie’s low shot or Sonya’s rings are hard to react teleport and actually punish). I also think he has some great MU’s in his favor. I feel Searing Rage Scorp vs Kotal is probably the most lopsided MU in the game. BUT not sure yet, game still in its infancy.

Did I see properly that no high level Scorpion player in top 96 on Combo Breaker?
I saw few players in pools but they were so bad I could not even watch the full matches lol (of course probably better than me but still it was bad to watch that poor execution, bad footsies, dropping combos, doing bad combos, lack of punish, random teleports). So not the high level play I would watch and learn from and cheer for.

I did not watch all matches yet though.

I just found one: Getreked. :)

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Did I see properly that no high level Scorpion player in top 96 on Combo Breaker?
I saw few players in pools but they were so bad I could not even watch the full matches lol (of course probably better than me but still it was bad to watch that poor execution, bad footsies, dropping combos, doing bad combos, lack of punish, random teleports). So not the high level play I would watch and learn from and cheer for.

I did not watch all matches yet though.
What you did see was Scar's Day 1 looking no combo Scorpion beat Waz's GOAT Jade in Top 24 Winners, so there's that.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I am still watching top96 yet lol.

I was looking for main and master Scorpion.
Pocket anti Jade Scorpion is likely though. :)
Keep searching, I don't think you'll learn much from the Scar/Waz match unless you're trying to learn how to win without combos lol. Which is an amazing feat in itself.

Keep searching, I don't think you'll learn much from the Scar/Waz match unless you're trying to learn how to win without combos lol. Which is an amazing feat in itself.
I watch the tournament for fun and would be good cheering for good Scorpion player. And of course learning.

I can learn lot of Geras/Sonya/Jacqui lol... but I am not really interested as they are not my playstyle.
Even few Erron Black player who I like watching/playing.

It is "lol" that Scorpion is "top tier" but nobody plays it seriously. Ok Tigerz. But it is way too few players.
Its a shame.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
I watch the tournament for fun and would be good cheering for good Scorpion player. And of course learning.

I can learn lot of Geras/Sonya/Jacqui lol... but I am not really interested as they are not my playstyle.
Even few Erron Black player who I like watching/playing.
Best Scorpion I saw I believe was Killer Xinnok. RZA had a good Searing Rage Scorpion. Scar has a good Reborn.

Best Scorpion I saw I believe was Killer Xinnok. RZA had a good Searing Rage Scorpion. Scar has a good Reborn.
Ok I will keep tournaments and see them. :)
I saw only 1 match Scorpion by RZA at top96 but he was almost flawlessly mopped by Geras. I could not enjoy his play yet as it was not existing. :)

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So i saw raptor doing this but I dunno if its a good idea. I watched a video of raptor using reborn. He was telecancelling away if the b1 string was blocking but confirming it fully on hit. Is this a good idea?
Yes. b+1,4 is not safe on block. b+1,4,3 is safe, but you are at a disadvantage.

Also is it possible to confirm single hits like this? Itd pretty good if you could hit confirm b2 like this. I also saw a reborn on stream on combobreaker (xinock) teleporting away if he gets blocked.
Yes, it is possible. You can hit-confirm f+3 and b+2, but it is more difficult than hit-confirming b+1,4 for obvious reasons.

every time someone says scorpion does great damage you have to put an asterisk because it's pretty much only searing rage. he does decent damage in reborn

nah barely any scorpions in combo breaker. probably won't be a single one in top 8 but scorpion best character in the game. scorpion has no bad matchups. scorpion the menace of mk11 (online mk11)

nah barely any scorpions in combo breaker. probably won't be a single one in top 8 but scorpion best character in the game. scorpion has no bad matchups. scorpion the menace of mk11 (online mk11)
Yes but probably Geras, Sonya, Jaqui are more reliable for tournament and still no bad match up (or each other).

I just watch in top96 Kombat playing Searing rage against KingGambler's Skarlet as a pocket as he mains Johnny Cage.

Yes but probably Geras, Sonya, Jaqui are more reliable for tournament and still no bad match up (or each other).

I just watch in top96 Kombat playing Searing rage against KingGambler's Skarlet as a pocket as he mains Johnny Cage.
probably didn't want to play johnny against skarlet who's considered a zoner.

HapHaxion

"Knowledge" - Taio Cruz
Real talk since you mentioned how scorpion and a few other characters basically have no bad MUs: do you think the others are better since they have more advantageous MUs and Scorpion just has more evens, or do you think they all do well in MUs that Scorp doesn't?

looks like I was wrong. scar pulled out scorpion for top 8. now scorpion can be seen for the world and get properly nerfed. :DOGE