What's new

Scorpion General Discussion

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
It's about that time to start the new age of Scorpion!

Here's some of his frame data:

Tournament Variations:
  1. Reborn: Demon Slam, Hell Port Cancel (2)
  2. Searing Rage: Death Spin, Death Spear Kombo, Burning Spear

Last edited:

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
my question: Chain Spin is down to one slot and so is Tele Cancel.. good changes. Do the extra spear combos still require Chain Spin?

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
@Circus
Are you going to be doing any tutorial/data vids or do you just like doing this prelaunch?
I'm definitely still going to be making tutorials and data videos. I have a plan for a couple of them already. I want TYM to level up as quick as possible as a whole. That, and I like helping too so its fun making vids and frame data sheets for the different character forums.

For now I just want this damn game already :oops:
I've officially reached obsession levels of crazy. It's straight up unhealthy at this point lol.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
@Circus Are you sure that Beta frame data is right? I'm pretty sure most of his strings were double digits negative on block then, sure felt that way at least. It looks like his frame data actually got better with this version.
I'm feeling very optimistic about his Searing Rage variation and how Death Spin has been made only 1 slot!

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
@Circus Are you sure that Beta frame data is right? I'm pretty sure most of his strings were double digits negative on block then, sure felt that way at least. It looks like his frame data actually got better with this version.
I'm feeling very optimistic about his Searing Rage variation and how Death Spin has been made only 1 slot!
This frame data is actually from the reveal event, so you might be right. Either way, the frame data in the beta felt way off specifically for Scorpion.

I'm really optimistic about Scorpion in the final build too btw. NRS has shown that they know what they are doing so I actually have faith Scorpion is going to be someone to look out for.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I'm definitely still going to be making tutorials and data videos. I have a plan for a couple of them already. I want TYM to level up as quick as possible as a whole. That, and I like helping too so its fun making vids and frame data sheets for the different character forums.

For now I just want this damn game already :oops:
I've officially reached obsession levels of crazy. It's straight up unhealthy at this point lol.
It’s all good man. It’s a fandom website, we’re all nutty. I’m looking forward to them when I get the game in hand. I was looking at a thread and saw you got your Kano data finally lmao. I was like

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I wouldnt sweat the frames just yet. Looks like b143 is safe which is good. It's a safe option to fall back on if you dont get the hit confirm into teleport. I think he will be fine.

This is assuming the frames are correct.

Execute

Noob
He has three neutral tools that aren't going to make him eat a full combo. 212, b123, F2and f423. Hell, even F423 is punishable.

He's just not a working character with the current tournament variations I think. Problem is that a LOT of characters are like this, with a few that are not. Scorpion has literally no way to open anyone up that is any good. Just straight up.

To start, he's super unsafe for most of his options. He doesn't get good damage out unless you use both bars. His mix is GARBAGE.

Literally just block low against scorpion and react to his shitty overheads. It's as simple as that.

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
  1. b2. -16 on block. Mid-OH with no any mixups in. WHY? WHY -16? that's idiotic decision.
  2. b1 is -14? LOL, ok. b14 is -17? LOL KEK, ok. b143 is -5, i agree with that. But why b141 is -15? What is purpose of b141? There is no any mixups in. You just do b14, if it hit - press TP, if it blocked - press 3 nad you -5 pn block.
  3. f4 -7 on block, okaaay. f42 is -14, WTF? You have giant gap for PB, it cannot be PB and super minus at the same time! That's idiotic. Even more - f423 is -8 on block! I must be COMPLETELY safe, because gap between 2 and 3 so huge, that you can not only PB that but you can press d1 between, LOL. That string is garbage, decision with this gap and minus in same time is garbage. WTF, NRS?
  4. f32 is -25, LOLWUT? There is no amy mixups in that string, there is mid-OH-low, you cannot cancel that string in something with low or OH, wtf, why it so punishable on block? What is purpose of that string? I watched in chernyivolk's leaks, that he have few more percent damage more, than b14 in combo, but that is not reason for -25 (even combostarters or mixups of other characters is much less on block)
WTF, NRS? That is garbage and, if you not fixed all these things in day1 patch b2, b141, f423, f32 string will be USSLESS on startup, completely ussless (that is half of his strings lol)

1. b2. -16 on block. Mid-OH with no any mixups in. WHY? WHY -16? that's idiotic decision.
  2. b1 is -14? LOL, ok. b14 is -17? LOL KEK, ok. b143 is -5, i agree with that. But why b141 is -15? What is purpose of b141? There is no any mixups in. You just do b14, if it hit - press TP, if it blocked - press 3 nad you -5 pn block.
  3. f4 -7 on block, okaaay. f42 is -14, WTF? You have giant gap for PB, it cannot be PB and super minus at the same time! That's idiotic. Even more - f423 is -8 on block! I must be COMPLETELY safe, because gap between 2 and 3 so huge, that you can not only PB that but you can press d1 between, LOL. That string is garbage, decision with this gap and minus in same time is garbage. WTF, NRS?
  4. f32 is -25, LOLWUT? There is no amy mixups in that string, there is mid-OH-low, you cannot cancel that string in something with low or OH, wtf, why it so punishable on block? What is purpose of that string? I watched in chernyivolk's leaks, that he have few more percent damage more, than b14 in combo, but that is not reason for -25 (even combostarters or mixups of other characters is much less on block)
WTF, NRS? That is garbage and, if you not fixed all these things in day1 patch b2, b141, f423, f32 string will be USSLESS on startup, completely ussless (that is half of his strings lol)
Also his b141 and b143 were cancelable and they are not anymore for some stupid reason

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
In the beta he was not worth using competitively without Misery Blade. He now can survive without it, thank the NRS gods.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
How can his 2 be used on block? Can anyone explain me a situation when you can use a plus high move that can be ducked and whiff punished with a d2? I get that we can enforce people to block and get those plus 3 frames but what about it?

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Safe you say? Which one is that? I'm not seeing it. Scorpion is as unsafe as you can get. It's their design philosophy for the character. They even nerfed his spear to make him even less viable compared to others who ALL got to keep their meterless free hits. Kabal has multiple, Sub-Zero, and Kitana etc. literally everyone else amd some new ones kept theirs. Not complaining about that they should have them. But he should've as well and he needs to be a little bit safe-ER/ish, lol. I was told by 16bit the spear was nerfed as part of the neutral/footsies shift and requiring meter for exrending combos being universal. Scorpion seems to be the ONLY character this applies to though. He looks and plays like he was designed for a completely different state of the game but never went back to and fixed when they made everyone else LEAGUES better. Even with Misery Blade he will be low tier for sure unless he gets an update to rejoin the others in the modern system, lol. He will still be my main and I will make him work for me even if I am playing with a handicap. I'm used to it.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I don't see why they would make day 1 patch changes. The flaws/handicap are built in and deliberate design plans, lol.

Scorpion fans: We need SLIGHTLY safer strings and maybe meterless spear.

EVERYONE else: Scorpioin is for filthy scrub casuals. Play Kabal or Scarlet like a real player.

Should they not have just made Misery Blade baseline? Forget being a Kustom Slot. Lol I don't even want to play him much, but I feel bad for those who do.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
Safe you say? Which one is that? I'm not seeing it. Scorpion is as unsafe as you can get. It's their design philosophy for the character. They even nerfed his spear to make him even less viable compared to others who ALL got to keep their meterless free hits. Kabal has multiple, Sub-Zero, and Kitana etc. literally everyone else amd some new ones kept theirs. Not complaining about that they should have them. But he should've as well and he needs to be a little bit safe-ER/ish, lol. I was told by 16bit the spear was nerfed as part of the neutral/footsies shift and requiring meter for exrending combos being universal. Scorpion seems to be the ONLY character this applies to though. He looks and plays like he was designed for a completely different state of the game but never went back to and fixed when they made everyone else LEAGUES better. Even with Misery Blade he will be low tier for sure unless he gets an update to rejoin the others in the modern system, lol. He will still be my main and I will make him work for me even if I am playing with a handicap. I'm used to it.
That's the ONE thing that irritated me and unfortunately made me decide to make him a secondary right now as opposed to my usual maining him. How tf you gonna make my spear stun with meter burn but you got people like kabal or kollector who can just outright stun you free? That was just the icing on the cake considering his frames. I saw the tournament variants too and I'm like......assuming (since again game isn't here yet and thousands of us haven't gotten to lab) that he's gonna be low tier right out the gate. But seriously. 27 years of the spear being high and unsafe on block but giving stun.....and they change it. Now it's just a glorified full screen throw without using bar.

He’s not worth using without Misery Blade. NRS needs to make a Misery Blade + Demon Dash variation OR just allow kustom variations like they should have done anyway.
Or just give him decent frames on his strings and/or give him mixups on them.

Scorpion is garbage in this game.