What's new

Scorpion Comprehensive Change Wishlist

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I've thought really long and hard about what to do with this character so I've finally settled on a completely final set of changes, nerfs and buffs I think would make Scorpion feel perfect in this game and really fleshed out. So here we go... I want this character to not be held hostage by Reborn anymore which is a fucking boring variation anyway.

Universal:

1: Reborn is entirely removed as a competitive variation. Teleport cancels and Demon Slam are now universal moves.

2: Away teleport cancel now costs both defense bars. Close cancel costs one offense bar and one defense bar.

3: B2 is now -7 on block

4: Burning Soul variation is added to replace Reborn. This is a preset that has Demon Dash, Hell Flame and Flame Breath.

5: B141 is now special cancelable at the third hit on hit only, if blocked Scorpion completes the string leaving him punishable.

5: F34 has it's flawless block gap removed.

Searing Rage:

1: Amplified Burning Spear (DB4) is now a true comboable stun. He only realistically gets this off 11. It's fair.

2: If Scorpion has Burning Spear active, his Spear (BF1) KB is now achievable by simply performing it in a combo

Burning Specter:

1: Misery Blade (DB1) 3 (Tsuka Poke) is now 0 on block

2: Misery Blade 2 and 4 now both 100 damage

3: Amplifying Misery Blade 2 and 4 makes them do 150 damage

4: New KB, Sin Blade (D2 during a neutral jump) KB's for 150 damage if it kounter hits a throw

Burning Soul:

I don't know what they'd call this in a final product, but the moves for this variation need some tweaks and feel kind of beta-testy right now.

1: Demon Dash is nerfed to 8F startup. I think we can all agree we don't want a move like this that punishes the safety point of the game. Raijin's charge feels acceptable because it's conditional.

2: New KB, amplified flame breath (DF3) causes a 150 damage combo stun that also does 100 DOT, plus enough to allow for a jump in like the spear KB. Triggers if you kounter hit any wakeup option, U2, U3 or rolls

3: Close amplified Hellflame (DF1B) now connects after strings in the corner. In the beta he used this to get corner juggles without having to sacrifice positioning, it doesn't anymore. I think he should get this back.

That's it.

Zviko

Noob
None of this makes sense to me. Wouldn't it be better if they removed Searing Rage and make all of those universal? Both Reborn and Burning Specter would get more mix ups from F3, universal spear buff and the same would apply to his replacing variation.

Chernyy Volk

None of this makes sense to me. Wouldn't it be better if they removed Searing Rage and make all of those universal? Both Reborn and Burning Specter would get more mix ups from F3, universal spear buff and the same would apply to his replacing variation.
No, that's the kind of degenerate stuff I'd like to avoid in this game. Making him a mixup machine that does big damage is the kind of design that's everything wrong with this game. This keeps him a neutral god while still maintaining his weaknesses.

Zviko

Noob
No, that's the kind of degenerate stuff I'd like to avoid in this game. Making him a mixup machine that does big damage is the kind of design that's everything wrong with this game. This keeps him a neutral god while still maintaining his weaknesses.
But none of those mix ups would do big damage though. Reborn only gets one more hit confirmable string F32. People say F3 and B2 is hit confirmable in Reborn as well so no need for the changes you suggest. Burning Specter gets much more mix ups with F32 that don't lead to big damage either except on hit obviously but that's not a mix up. You can also catch everyone trying to flawless block F34 with mb3. With all that his neutral with F3 would only be even better and the mix ups he gets are all unsafe and not very damaging.

Chernyy Volk

But none of those mix ups would do big damage though. Reborn only gets one more hit confirmable string F32. People say F3 and B2 is hit confirmable in Reborn as well so no need for the changes you suggest. Burning Specter gets much more mix ups with F32 that don't lead to big damage either except on hit obviously but that's not a mix up. You can also catch everyone trying to flawless block F34 with mb3. With all that his neutral with F3 would only be even better and the mix ups he gets are all unsafe and not very damaging.
You seemed to miss the part where I said remove Reborn entirely though.

Zviko

Noob
You seemed to miss the part where I said remove Reborn entirely though.
And make all it's specials universal. That's why I suggested this happens with Searing Rage instead because it makes more sense to me. I think universal F32 would help him a lot more than tp cancels and air grab. F3 would be even more scary, potentially making Burning Specter even better than Reborn.

Chernyy Volk

And make all it's specials universal. That's why I suggested this happens with Searing Rage instead because it makes more sense to me. I think universal F32 would help him a lot more than tp cancels and air grab. F3 would be even more scary, potentially making Burning Specter even better than Reborn.
I don't think so personally. I've mained SR since day 1 and it has good mix. Giving that to every variation is too much.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Safe, hit confirmable f32 with reborn cancel? That would remove all the risk associated with the mix he gains from f32. I think that would be dumb.

I dont think any character should have normals that interrupt f34 or f32. Kitana can do this with d3 and it's really annoying.

Zviko

Noob
Safe, hit confirmable f32 with reborn cancel? That would remove all the risk associated with the mix he gains from f32. I think that would be dumb.

I dont think any character should have normals that interrupt f34 or f32. Kitana can do this with d3 and it's really annoying.
How would that remove the risk? The real mix is F3 stagger, baiting a button after for F34 KB. F32 is just a mix up that would catch anyone trying to FB F34. It is also a good hit confirmable string but it's not safe. To make it safe, Reborn would have to do a far TP which costs 1 def bar and Burning Specter has mb3 which might not even reach in all situations.

The 5th universal change would make him absolutely cancerous. Especially online. His FB gap is fine and needs NO CHANGES.
the b141 change? how would giving him something other characters naturally have make him cancerous. especially for a string that's completely useless outside of maybe burning specter

The 5th universal change would make him absolutely cancerous. Especially online. His FB gap is fine and needs NO CHANGES.
the b141 change? how would giving him something other characters naturally have make him cancerous. especially for a string that's completely useless outside of maybe burning specter

Scoot Magee

I find a lot of situations where
How would that remove the risk? The real mix is F3 stagger, baiting a button after for F34 KB. F32 is just a mix up that would catch anyone trying to FB F34. It is also a good hit confirmable string but it's not safe. To make it safe, Reborn would have to do a far TP which costs 1 def bar and Burning Specter has mb3 which might not even reach in all situations.
You answered it. F32 can be canceled into far tele making it hit confirmable and safe.

Zviko

Noob
I find a lot of situations where

You answered it. F32 can be canceled into far tele making it hit confirmable and safe.
But it costs meter. If you get hit it's your fault anyway but on block he either commits to something (all unsafe) or he has to spend a meter to make it safe. Isn't that fair?

Scoot Magee

But it costs meter. If you get hit it's your fault anyway but on block he either commits to something (all unsafe) or he has to spend a meter to make it safe. Isn't that fair?
F32 is good on it's own already. The threat of it forces people to high block after f3. It makes f3 stagger a bit more threatening. Having the option to completely negate the risk of f32 by tele canceling it on block would be stupid imo. All those things together would be crazy.

Groove Heaven

Jobber-baron
I think he meant the second #5. There are 2 5's for some reason lol, but one of them is taking away f34's flawless block gap

Chernyy Volk

Yeah exactly. At least with the changes I suggested the Reborn cancels are nerfed to being much worse so it wouldn't be anywhere near as degenerate.

I'm not sure you'd be able to hit confirm F32 though in a F3 got blocked but the 2 didn't scenario. Impossible to say since you can't put those two moves on a custom.

Scoot Magee

Yeah exactly. At least with the changes I suggested the Reborn cancels are nerfed to being much worse so it wouldn't be anywhere near as degenerate.

I'm not sure you'd be able to hit confirm F32 though in a F3 got blocked but the 2 didn't scenario. Impossible to say since you can't put those two moves on a custom.
Yeah, hard to say. I just assumed it would be possible to hit confirm or even os tele/cancel because its possible off of b2 and f3.

I just don't think Scorpion needs any help at the moment, if anything I belive he's very underrated at the moment. Besides these buffs are huge, they'd skyrocket him to God tier.
ain't nothin underrated about scorpion. he's pretty much been completely figured out and he's been taking nothing but nerfs.

i literally just want b141 special cancellable and amplified burning spear to just do something besides wasting meter. i'm tired of them pussy footing around scorpion because of teleport

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
NRS will never delete a variation or replace moves in a current one.

Honestly all scorpion would need need is this:

He universally gets a new option off his AMP teleport by holding down that is fairlysafe at like -8, hits mid, knocks the opponent down, no combo. Reborn's teleport cancels would replace this new option and be the only variation that doesn't get this.

Fair? Fair.