What's new

Scorpion Beta General Discussion

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Been mainly using Scorpion so far. He’s really fun. Using Boon’s Main variation.

Noticed his standing 4 is a good anti air tool if they’re jumping from a further distance: https://twitter.com/juggleypuff/status/1106718183346630656?s=21

You can also hit confirm it into a spear to extend the combo. Probably can do other stuff too.

His D2 (uppercut) is good for closer range jump ins. Some jump in attacks have weird hitboxes so you’ll have to learn the timing in when you need to D2, but it’s pretty consistent for me.

A lot of his strings are punishable on block, as are his specials. I know he has a string or 2 that’s safe but without training mode idk which ones yet. Been using him more as a footsie character, and playing reactionary. He can’t really be zoned out, so playing defensive has been working great for me. Even inducing hatemail, lol.

He’s a lot of fun, but definitely will need to training mode to fully flesh him out. Oh and he has an amazing D4 that is long and that has decent speed.

E

Eldriken

Take the time to look at the moves list when going into a match or landing a Fatal Blow or getting hit by one.

Or just give up the first few hits in a round looking at them. It shows you all the data.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
The startup of his teleport needs to be more like supergirl. Doesn’t seem like u can just react and block to it in neutral.
It’s heavily punishable and does like no damage without amplifiying it. It’s definitely a fuck neutral tool but you just gotta be weary of it.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I use the Fire Breathing variation. Note that not all of it's move slots are used for some reason, you can add a 1-slot move of your choice to the variation. I went with the Fireball.

Amplified Fire Breath was unsafe, but barely. Unless they were doing something wrong, my opponents seemed to only be able to punish with D4. Even though they hit me, they couldn't convert into anything and the range between us was pretty good. Compared to his other specials, this seemed like one of the safer ones to cancel into on block. You get a pretty good amount of chip damage from it (chip still kills in this game) and it also pushes the opponent back some.

Uppercut (D2) has a fairly good hitbox, but it's slow. With the wonky hit and hurtboxes on jump-in attacks, doing this as an anti-air felt inconsistent. Especially against Scorpion in a mirror match, he can jump-in to bait the uppercut but then go into Amplified Teleport for a full combo punish. You get a Krushing Blow (that allows a full combo) off of it by countering a standing high attack with it. I guess it depends on who you are playing against, but against Scorpion himself this move felt pretty inconsistent and unsafe to do.

Most of his combos feel kinda the same, but they are fun to do. He also has more combos and conversions overall in comparison to Baraka and Skarlet it seems. Most of his combos seem to end with 2,1,2 because if you use as a combo ender you get a Krushing Blow. After it's Krushing Blow is used, it still seems worth doing because it knocks the opponent across the screen and towards the corner. Against Skarlet and Baraka you can do your Far Fireball on their wake-up so if they try to go straight into a projectile you'll hit them out of it (that's the way it seemed, anyway). If they block it, you get chip damage. Against Scorpion, this is risky because he might be able to slip out with a Teleport -- but I'm not 100% sure about that. Worst case scenario, don't do anything on their wake-up. With that being said, sometimes after the Amplified Spear in a combo, instead of doing 2,1,2 I would do Fire Breath that way they are left standing and I'm at plus frames. Doesn't seem to be enough to pressure with something like B1, B2, or F4, but it seemed like I could out poke them. If they start blocking after the Fire Breath and they start respecting you too much, you can walk up and get a throw.

An important note about using Spear during juggles: If your opponent escapes when you are at the start-up of your spear, they have enough time to escape the combo, get up, and get a full punish on you. You can only safely connect the Spear during a juggle if your opponent doesn't have two defensive bars to escape.

I've been using Chain reaction, and d4 xx chain spin on block is the new d4 hell sparks lmao
Do you mean the special move where he just keeps spinning the chain? It seemed unsafe on block to me. I was able to punish it every time my opponent did it, even if they Amplified it. I never really felt pressured by it.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
It's the name of the variation that has that move
Oh derp, I forgot. I keep changing the variation names for the luls which is kinda not smart when you’re learning.

Something funny I encountered. Someone had “Boon’s Main” variation... but they had no Boon’s Main variation moves. They changed the moves to be another variation to mess with their opponents.

Gamer68

Fujin!
More Scorpion stuff:

The 2,1,2 string has a gap on the final hit. Your opponent can hit you out of it.

When doing B3 up close, sometimes Scorpion will jump over the opponent and completely whiff them. Obviously you will be left open for a punish. This move also doesn't seem to have a hit box above Scorpion to hit opponents in the air even though it looks like it could.

JDM

Noob
I LOVE Scorpion man. Holy shit he's so solid. Has it all. Sure he's unsafe but if you play with misery stance(you should imo) it gives you a lot of options for your opponent to have to consider. I actually love this game atm, can't wait to play Noob Erron and Johnny oh man

OBS|KH Rattlehead

real life Kenshi of the MK community.
Any bnbs with Scorpion? Not that it matters as much since he's footsie based from what I can tell. Using Boon's Main right now. However, a few BNBS wouldn't hurt to learn lol.

Has anyone come across anyone using the scorpion move where he has a ton of blades and can cancel into a high or low? Something like that? Played against someone using it and it and they kicked my ass. Anyone know how to deal with it?

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Has anyone come across anyone using the scorpion move where he has a ton of blades and can cancel into a high or low? Something like that? Played against someone using it and it and they kicked my ass. Anyone know how to deal with it?
This is what works for me. Fuzzy low then overhead and both options are punishable. Be ready to tech throws.

Yoaks

A spaceman
Heres a Scorpion mirror match between Ninjakilla and Deoxys
Scorpion players are gonna have to watch out for Breakaways once ppl know they're combos that will lead into spear. Both Killa and Deoxys punish one another multiple times with it in this set.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I'm used to Scorpion being the most unsafe and punishable character in the game but I am struggling with his startup on his attacks in regards to getting OUT of pressure especially if cornered. Do I just really suck or am I missing the tool he has to break out of pressure and block stun? Obviously Teleport will not help if you get hit out of it, lol.

Mind Flex

Mind Gamer. BOOSH
Im having a decent time staggering f3, f34 ,and d1s to open them up to throws then the rest of his game usually starts to open up.

Is this just a gimmick? I havent actually looked at any frame data

Resistible

MK fan since '92
Something funny I encountered. Someone had “Boon’s Main” variation... but they had no Boon’s Main variation moves. They changed the moves to be another variation to mess with their opponents.
That was probably me, Boon's Main using the Chain Reaction abilities, won a few matches with that. Did the same with Baraka's Flag Day using Hack and Slash abilities