What's new

Scorpion Beta General Discussion

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Kabal's Dash cancel is 1 defense, so NRS make it happen lol!
Correct me if wrong but isn't NDC also only one slot? And it buffs a move that already is a fast punish that leads to a free hit meterlessly? As opposed to TP that still needs to be amped to get a hit off of even if it does hit? lol. The gap in favor when it comes to gameplay between Kabal and Scorpion is pretty ridiculous, lol. I'm sure good Scorpion players will make it work anyway (we always do) but damn why must it always be that big of a handicap, lmao.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Correct me if wrong but isn't NDC also only one slot? And it buffs a move that already is a fast punish that leads to a free hit meterlessly? As opposed to TP that still needs to be amped to get a hit off of even if it does hit? lol. The gap in favor when it comes to gameplay between Kabal and Scorpion is pretty ridiculous, lol. I'm sure good Scorpion players will make it work anyway (we always do) but damn why must it always be that big of a handicap, lmao.
1 slot. I was surprised myself.

portent

Noob
I think with misery blade, scorpion is really strong. He seems very good at baiting whiffs with the cancels.

I dont think atm theres a reason to use anything else.
That's a damn shame too. Chain reaction is the most unique version of Scorpion ever created. My only hope is that none of the base loadouts include Misery blade, aka, MKX Hellfire Scorpion, and that custom variations are banned in tournament, effectively removing MKX Scorpion from MK11. Then there will be a reason to play MK11 and not X with pretty paint.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
That's a damn shame too. Chain reaction is the most unique version of Scorpion ever created. My only hope is that none of the base loadouts include Misery blade, aka, MKX Hellfire Scorpion, and that custom variations are banned in tournament, effectively removing MKX Scorpion from MK11. Then there will be a reason to play MK11 and not X with pretty paint.
We honestly have no idea how he will play in the final build, though. I'm pretty sure the beta is an early build of the game and I believe there will be a lot of changes at release. I wouldn't count out his other moves based on the beta experience.

portent

Noob
We honestly have no idea how he will play in the final build, though. I'm pretty sure the beta is an early build of the game and I believe there will be a lot of changes at release. I wouldn't count out his other moves based on the beta experience.
I agree, but I honestly don't want to feel like I'm playing X again. Misery is just a reskinned MKX Hellfire Scorpion. With any luck, Chain Reaction will get some love for the final build, or, as I said, custom variations will hopefully be banned in tournament play and if Misery isn't included in any base loadouts, it would render it useless.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Unfortunately without some pretty widespread but minor buffs, if you don't have a variation that is Misery Blade and (arguably) Demon Dash, you will NEVER see Scorpion in competitive levels. He's just too high risk for too little reward for most pros to bother with without those moves slotted in his current state. Especially when they could play Kabal who does the same (or more) for either less or no meter all while being much safer.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I agree, but I honestly don't want to feel like I'm playing X again. Misery is just a reskinned MKX Hellfire Scorpion. With any luck, Chain Reaction will get some love for the final build, or, as I said, custom variations will hopefully be banned in tournament play and if Misery isn't included in any base loadouts, it would render it useless.
You think misery blade cancels are similar to hellfire cancels? I think it's more like ninjutsu's f2/f2~takedown guessing game, just with an actual cancel and safe mid option thrown in. I also find the amplified spear buff to be more reminiscent of hellfire. Pokes into flame aura catching counter pokes for full combo.

portent

Noob
You think misery blade cancels are similar to hellfire cancels? I think it's more like ninjutsu's f2/f2~takedown guessing game, just with an actual cancel and safe mid option thrown in. I also find the amplified spear buff to be more reminiscent of hellfire. Pokes into flame aura catching counter pokes for full combo.
I didn't play too much ninjitsu, but you're right. That makes me even more disappointed in Scorpion in 11 because he's even that much more of an X repaint. Such a shame.

portent

Noob
Unfortunately without some pretty widespread but minor buffs, if you don't have a variation that is Misery Blade and (arguably) Demon Dash, you will NEVER see Scorpion in competitive levels. He's just too high risk for too little reward for most pros to bother with without those moves slotted in his current state. Especially when they could play Kabal who does the same (or more) for either less or no meter all while being much safer.
Honestly, if NRS can't put together a version of their mascot that can compete, then too bad for them not seeing him in tournament. Hate to say it, but at some point, if the face of your company and game isn't any good, maybe consider changing the face of your company and game to Kabal, LOL.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I didn't play too much ninjitsu, but you're right. That makes me even more disappointed in Scorpion in 11 because he's even that much more of an X repaint. Such a shame.
Indeed. I think what bothers me the most is that usually when you're playing a cancel character, you're doing it for plus frames/pressure/combo extensions, etc. In MK11, misery blade is there only to keep him from getting his ass punished (you can't even use his overhead or low option from misery blade, unless you really want to eat shit). It also happens to be an absolute necessity that takes up TWO slots.

It's just not good lol.

portent

Noob
Indeed. I think what bothers me the most is that usually when you're playing a cancel character, you're doing it for plus frames/pressure/combo extensions, etc. In MK11, misery blade is there only to keep him from getting his ass punished (you can't even use his overhead or low option from misery blade, unless you really want to eat shit). It also happens to be an absolute necessity that takes up TWO slots.

It's just not good lol.
Back to Injustice 2 I go.

I felt like Chain Reaction was a nod to Inferno Scorpion from Shaolin Monks.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Honestly, if NRS can't put together a version of their mascot that can compete, then too bad for them not seeing him in tournament. Hate to say it, but at some point, if the face of your company and game isn't any good, maybe consider changing the face of your company and game to Kabal, LOL.
What? It's not that they can't. That's dumb. They simply choose not to. Scorpion has damn near everything he needs to be a solid character, he's simply designed (deliberately) to be extremely unsafe and therefore unlikely to be used in tournaments only in casual play. They COULD make him god tier by changing a few things to be more favorable but they specifically choose to give other characters the exact same tools but with more favorable frame data, damage scaling, etc. That has nothing to do with a flaw in Scorpion specifically. They just make their "mascot" not the best and better against lower skilled players who don't know how to fight him properly but instead make others like Kabal or Kung Lao their pro-guys in every game, lol.

portent

Noob
What? It's not that they can't. That's dumb. They simply choose not to. Scorpion has damn near everything he needs to be a solid character, he's simply designed (deliberately) to be extremely unsafe and therefore unlikely to be used in tournaments only in casual play. They COULD make him god tier by changing a few things to be more favorable but they specifically choose to give other characters the exact same tools but with more favorable frame data, damage scaling, etc. That has nothing to do with a flaw in Scorpion specifically. They just make their "mascot" not the best and better against lower skilled players who don't know how to fight him properly but instead make others like Kabal or Kung Lao their pro-guys in every game, lol.
Lol, you took what I said too literally. Of course they CAN make any character god tier if they want to. My point is really just that it makes sense, business wise, for your company and game mascot to be front and center as often as possible. While this may be true of online and casual play due to his (and SZ’s) popularity, the biggest splash could be made by him being able to compete at the highest level on the biggest stages.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Lol, you took what I said too literally. Of course they CAN make any character god tier if they want to. My point is really just that it makes sense, business wise, for your company and game mascot to be front and center as often as possible. While this may be true of online and casual play due to his (and SZ’s) popularity, the biggest splash could be made by him being able to compete at the highest level on the biggest stages.
Lmao, yeah fair enough. I agree on that. I was probably tired and cranky at the time and fixated on the "can't make him good". Sorry dude my bad.

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
I hope it changes for release. No Misery Blade for ranked is such a massive dissapointiment.
If they make correct framedata and make b143 safe, no misery blade needed. Main problem with scorp, that he is super-unsafe (menu wrote that b143 -3 on block, but in the game it is minus million and full-combo punishable)
I think b2 must be super-safe too and b141 maybe -6, -7, -8 (poke pushish or turn to opponent, no full-combo punish from standing 1)

If they make correct framedata and make b143 safe, no misery blade needed. Main problem with scorp, that he is super-unsafe (menu wrote that b143 -3 on block, but in the game it is minus million and full-combo punishable)
I think b2 must be super-safe too and b141 maybe -6, -7, -8 (poke pushish or turn to opponent, no full-combo punish from standing 1)
b1,4,3 is the big one. I think all his strings need to be touched though

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
b1,4,3 is the big one. I think all his strings need to be touched though
Yeah, when you have, at minimum, only that string with same framedata, like it writen in menu (-3 on block), then you can pres b14 for free and hitconfirm in TP on hit, or in 3 safe ender on block. In test you just recieve full-combo punish for b141 and b143 (more, than -8 on block), that's why all have misery blade - to make main string safe