What's new

Question Scorpion, '~', and "J"

I have been playing just against my son. Out internet connection simply isn't good enough to reliably play online. I just completed the last iOS unlcok (Girl Power) and now want to focus exclusively on Superman:

1 - Scorpion - This is my son's new favorite character and he's learned to do the move where he teleports behind you. How do you stop it/Defend against it? My son does not play for consective combos, he's good for 2-3 hits and tries to save up for the Super moves. If I know the super move is coming, any advice for defending against the super move?

2 - '~' reference in combo strings. What does that imply? I'm still learning the language but in many posted combo strings the '~' is inserted and I don't know what that means.

3 - 'j' again within combo strings I see the generic 'j' to imply Jump. Just to clarify is 'J' simply jumping straight into the air? I've seen others mention 'Ji" to reference Jump In, but many combos strings just list 'J'. If 'J" is by itself with out the use of 'i', is it to be understood that it's a straight up jump?

I'm still trying to overcome the xbox rocker d-pad. Nothing drives me more bonkers than trying to execute some of the strings only to have my character Jump diagonally backwards.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
So for the teleport, your best defense is to just crouch it. He will miss, and you have enough time to get a full combo in afterwards.

The super, like the teleport, comes from the opposite site of the screen; once you see it activate, you have enough time to block it (by holding the opposite direction than normal -- forward) unless you were in the middle of a long animation at the time.

'~' usually refers to going from one move straight into the next one, no gap. Sometimes this is a 'cancel', where the next move starts before the frames of animation of the first move would normally end. But in either case, it's a direct transition. You will also see 'xx' used to indicate a cancel.

'j' could be any kind of jump. A lot of times it's a forward jump, but could be neutral as well. Usually if people are referring to a backward jump, they'll say so specifically.

Be happy he doesn't know combos :)

He's eleven, but loves beating me...a lot. He's starting to watch YouTube videos so combos will be coming my way before too long.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
And yeah, I don't use the Xbox d-pad. Some people are ok with it, but it's far too inaccurate for me. I use a ps2 pad (that I removed the analog sticks from) with an ektokki PS2->Xbox converter.

You have a few options:
The old Street Fighter 4 Madcatz Pads - I have one of these; they're good pads
PS2 with a wired converter, PS3 with a wireless converter - This is the option I ended up using, with this: http://etokki.com/Xtokki360
The Evil D-pad mod: http://www.evilcontrollers.com/products/xbox-360-controller-parts/evil-d-pad-face-plates/evil-d-pad-facelift-kit.html - drastic, but accurate.
etc.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I have been playing just against my son. Out internet connection simply isn't good enough to reliably play online. I just completed the last iOS unlcok (Girl Power) and now want to focus exclusively on Superman:

1 - Scorpion - This is my son's new favorite character and he's learned to do the move where he teleports behind you. How do you stop it/Defend against it? My son does not play for consective combos, he's good for 2-3 hits and tries to save up for the Super moves. If I know the super move is coming, any advice for defending against the super move?

2 - '~' reference in combo strings. What does that imply? I'm still learning the language but in many posted combo strings the '~' is inserted and I don't know what that means.

3 - 'j' again within combo strings I see the generic 'j' to imply Jump. Just to clarify is 'J' simply jumping straight into the air? I've seen others mention 'Ji" to reference Jump In, but many combos strings just list 'J'. If 'J" is by itself with out the use of 'i', is it to be understood that it's a straight up jump?

I'm still trying to overcome the xbox rocker d-pad. Nothing drives me more bonkers than trying to execute some of the strings only to have my character Jump diagonally backwards.
1) The super move starts up with a teleport to the opposite side of the screen and will hit from the side he appears from (same as the normal teleport punch). Just block the move by holding straight down or away from the side he teleports to (basically hold toward Scorpion's starting position).

2) ~ just means cancelling into a special move from a combo string. For example 112~teleport with Scorpion means you do the 112 string and before it is completely finished you perform the teleport. This allows teleport to become part of the combo instead of just the move by itself.

3) Yeah j just generic for jump. A lot of people use this notation in a general sense where it could mean a neutral jump or a jump towards depending on your position with the opponent. For example if my notation is j2112 and I was jump distance away then I would jump towards and do 2112, whereas if I was right next to the opponent I would do neutral jump 2112. so the j2 would not whiff.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
2) ~ just means cancelling into a special move from a combo string. For example 112~teleport with Scorpion means you do the 112 string and before it is completely finished you perform the teleport. This allows teleport to become part of the combo instead of just the move by itself.
Just wanted to add (to avoid future confusion) that this is not always from a combo string. You can cancel from traits into things, from certain specials into other specials, etc. But the general point is that you're going straight from one thing into the next.

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Just wanted to add (to avoid future confusion) that this is not always from a combo string. You can cancel from traits into things, from certain specials into other specials, etc. But the general point is that you're going straight from one thing into the next.
Yeah, cancelling out of any animation you are in basically barring that it is able to be cancelled.

And yeah, I don't use the Xbox d-pad. Some people are ok with it, but it's far too inaccurate for me. I use a ps2 pad (that I removed the analog sticks from) with an ektokki PS2->Xbox converter.

You have a few options:
The old Street Fighter 4 Madcatz Pads - I have one of these; they're good pads
PS2 with a wired converter, PS3 with a wireless converter - This is the option I ended up using, with this: http://etokki.com/Xtokki360
The Evil D-pad mod: http://www.evilcontrollers.com/products/xbox-360-controller-parts/evil-d-pad-face-plates/evil-d-pad-facelift-kit.html - drastic, but accurate.
etc.

I had a chance to use a fight pad - but didn't like the 6-button configuration and the fact it just felt cheap

I've seen others mention the use of the etokki converter and one can pick up a PS2 controller fairly cheap

I've actually called and spoke to Evil a few times, and that's what I really would like. The day I was going to order it, my wife was pink slipped and we don't know what's going to happen in the fall (she's a teacher). What stinks is the Evil controllers have an amazing sale right now and they gave me a code for a free upgrade to the shell. I have mine all picked out, but I have to wait and see if the school board is going to reverse their decision to lay off all the first year teachers.

1) The super move starts up with a teleport to the opposite side of the screen and will hit from the side he appears from (same as the normal teleport punch). Just block the move by holding straight down or away from the side he teleports to (basically hold toward Scorpion's starting position).

3) Yeah j just generic for jump. A lot of people use this notation in a general sense where it could mean a neutral jump or a jump towards depending on your position with the opponent. For example if my notation is j2112 and I was jump distance away then I would jump towards and do 2112, whereas if I was right next to the opponent I would do neutral jump 2112. so the j2 would not whiff.

It drives him nuts when I block supers...if I can consistently block Scorpions' supers it will totally get into his head.

Hopefully Superman turns out to be a good character to give him the business. I've only played a handful of times and he felt a little slower than what I was used to. Remember, I just finished doing the "Girl Power" achievement and was playing all the female characters.

MashBot

You're over matched.
I see you said something about the Internet. Make sure you have the latest patch or your gonna be fighting a real deamon from hell

I use a modified 360 pad. There are guides online for fixing the dpad; it involves dremeling the well to give the pad more room to move, removing one of the rubber anchors inside because it holds it at a weird angle that causes slipping, and inserting a small plastic disk over the plunger to make it more snappy ( I also used a layer of electrical tape on the disk to get the feel right)

This is a good guide: http://c0d3h4x0r.wordpress.com/2008/12/22/xbox360-d-pad-design-flaws-and-fix/

Edit: I really like the feel of the controller after fixing it, but as it's a DIY project results will obviously vary.

I see you said something about the Internet. Make sure you have the latest patch or our gonna be fighting a real deamon from hell
We have the latest patch(es), we can download 'ok' but it's our upspeed that typically hinders us. We built our house 9 years ago and Centurylink refuses to upgrade our section of the neighborhood. If we lived 3 blocks in one direction we would have Prism and if we lived a few blocks in the other way we'd have access to Cox Cable. as it stands right now and for the last 9 years - 1.5 mb down, 384 kb up.

And only 6 of us on our entire street can have that. The rest of the block has to get dialup or a hotspot from a wireless provider. I call them about ever other month, but it's been 9 years.

MashBot

You're over matched.
That's how it is was when I lived in TN charter cable have an monopoly on things up there and charge,fix and up grade when they want. if they don't there no other company to say other wise or compete with prices so it can be lower.

Gh0sty

ばかみたいに無料
We have the latest patch(es), we can download 'ok' but it's our upspeed that typically hinders us. We built our house 9 years ago and Centurylink refuses to upgrade our section of the neighborhood. If we lived 3 blocks in one direction we would have Prism and if we lived a few blocks in the other way we'd have access to Cox Cable. as it stands right now and for the last 9 years - 1.5 mb down, 384 kb up.

And only 6 of us on our entire street can have that. The rest of the block has to get dialup or a hotspot from a wireless provider. I call them about ever other month, but it's been 9 years.
I'm so sorry man. That's insanely bad. I'd move. Lol.

Ghosty™

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Haha, I hear you. It was like that for me for a while with FiOS.. I think I was one block away. Fortunately with the place I'm at now, I'm on the 'right' side of the fence. I feel your pain, though.

We had a marathon session

I wasn't getting caught as often with the teleport, but he was getting a few in here and there

Initially I was blocking every Super Move - but then I started getting caught, A LOT

I've been trying to work in the F2,3,DB2 - but i very rarely land it and when i do i goof up the frost breath. I spent about an hour before he got up working on that F2 and was getting consistent...but it's definitely a different ball game when the opponent fights back.

my son is really fast on the buttons - so i get anxious. I always get the 3 after F2, but landing that F2 has proven to be tricky. Those friggin' Xbox controllers and their D-pad drive me mad.

I am really glad to see another father and son team! I really wish we were on XBL in my place. Regardless, check out my thread and plz feel free to contribute!
http://testyourmight.com/threads/grooming-the-next-generation-of-gamers.34338/

Nemesis_Prime

<3 Fighting Games!!!
I just want to say how cool it is that you and your son can play against each other. My son is only 5 so we can't play against each other. Hopefully by the time my son is your son's age there'll be new version of IGAU for us to play.

So for the teleport, your best defense is to just crouch it. He will miss, and you have enough time to get a full combo in afterwards.

The super, like the teleport, comes from the opposite site of the screen; once you see it activate, you have enough time to block it (by holding the opposite direction than normal -- forward) unless you were in the middle of a long animation at the time.

'~' usually refers to going from one move straight into the next one, no gap. Sometimes this is a 'cancel', where the next move starts before the frames of animation of the first move would normally end. But in either case, it's a direct transition. You will also see 'xx' used to indicate a cancel.

'j' could be any kind of jump. A lot of times it's a forward jump, but could be neutral as well. Usually if people are referring to a backward jump, they'll say so specifically.

Be happy he doesn't know combos :)

Couple of things...

I've gotten pretty good at crouching and getting the block in. What I'm not doing is executing any form of combo with any success.

What combo is recommended coming out of a block.

Right now, I'm pretty proficient at crouch blocking but now he's wising up and coming with an overhead attack with the swords. If he catches me not crouch blocking i'm getting hit with a B3 which he's now stringing together for about 30+% (meterless) damage to me. I continue get hit for strings of 30-40% "ish" strings, if I'm crouched he comes with an overhead attack and wrecks my day. If i'm blocking he goes into a B3 string and REALLY wrecks my day.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Couple of things...

I've gotten pretty good at crouching and getting the block in. What I'm not doing is executing any form of combo with any success.

What combo is recommended coming out of a block.

Right now, I'm pretty proficient at crouch blocking but now he's wising up and coming with an overhead attack with the swords. If he catches me not crouch blocking i'm getting hit with a B3 which he's now stringing together for about 30+% (meterless) damage to me. I continue get hit for strings of 30-40% "ish" strings, if I'm crouched he comes with an overhead attack and wrecks my day. If i'm blocking he goes into a B3 string and REALLY wrecks my day.
And this my friend, is part of why people wanted scorpion toned down. It's not easy to react to, and that's before you get to playing people who jump and then teleport, or hit you with the jumping 3 and then teleport, empty jump to fake you out, crossover into teleport, cancel all kinds of things into teleport, use the unblockable hellfire etc.

But as long as your son isn't doing anything particularly complex, getting used to standing up and blocking or backdashing jump-ins from crouch is a necessary skill to develop in this game. You'll need it against characters like Green Lantern, as well as Superman and others.