What's new

Strategy Scatterbombs

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Yes you read that correctly: SCATTERBOMBS.

Ok so I have been using this move recently and I think there might be an actual use for it. @AssassiN created a thread about using it in pressure (after standing 3) but I want to talk about using it defensively.

If you are in Escrima and someone is rushing you down and they are in that max jump distance, it seems we can actually use this move to halt their pressure.

If you guys listened to KTP, in the episode where @AK SaltFace was the guest they were discussing how this distance (max jump distance / just outside jump distance) is really weird in Injustice, if the attacker wants to continue the pressure they would jump in or dash in, both of them are not safe but the safe option is walking forward which is slow and might disrupt the momentum. SaltFace said that when ppl are in that distance he often does up gunshot in advance because he people they normally tend to jump in, and the up gunshot quite often works and catches people. I think we can do the same with Scatterbombs.

Scatterbombs will catch dash ins and jump ins and knock the opponent down.

The startup of the move sucks I know but if you do it when the opponent is standing in that max jump distance just when you see them move and they try to jump in it will actually work as a great anti-air move.

At that distance what are our other defensive options? Backdashes and jump-back + wingdings, right? I think Scatterbombs at that point might actually be more useful than jump back + wingdings.

If the opponent doesn't jump/move and you actually do Scatterbombs you will relatively be safe because of the distance. SB have 27 frames of recovery and in that distance its really hard to punish it with most characters, but some characters can, like GL (B1) or KF (slide), etc. So in many MUs you can use this at that distance and not worry, and if it whiffs you can MB it and be completely safe (don't abuse that obviously because you are wasting a bar).

Well that's it. I am not saying we should abuse Scatterbombs but I think we should integrate it in our defense since NWs never use it. I have been trying it recently and I am having success with it, especially in certain MUs like Black Adam, at that distance BA's main options are B2 and jump-ins, and Scatterbombs counter those options quite effectively.

What do you guys think? Do you already use Scatterbombs? Discuss.

Last edited:

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
I never had luck with scatterbombs cause its broken. Its a mid that whiffs on crouching opponents even if you MB it :(

There have been times when I try to IA Wingding and get a scatterbomb and it successfully catches someone but others it whiffs and I either get punished or lose pressure.
So far I only use scatterbomb in combos because I've had bad luck with it :( I still get flash backs when I whiff lol

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
Wow I've never thought of using Scatterbombs like this, seems like a clever way of implementing it into our gameplan. But one problem I can think of is that it works really well for Harley because she can cancel her up shot into her straight shot, leaving a smaller window to whiff punish than if we did scatterbombs. Most characters have a good footsie tool that will be able to whiff punish on reaction

EDIT - It seems like it'll be really useful vs floaty characters with their long-ass jumps, such as WoWo

Braindead

I never had luck with scatterbombs cause its broken. Its a mid that whiffs on crouching opponents even if you MB it :(

There have been times when I try to IA Wingding and get a scatterbomb and it successfully catches someone but others it whiffs and I either get punished or lose pressure.
So far I only use scatterbomb in combos because I've had bad luck with it :( I still get flash backs when I whiff lol
that's because you are using it offensively which doesn't work. I am talking about using it as a stay the fuck away from me move.

Braindead

Wow I've never thought of using Scatterbombs like this, seems like a clever way of implementing it into our gameplan. But one problem I can think of is that it works really well for Harley because she can cancel her up shot into her straight shot, leaving a smaller window to whiff punish than if we did scatterbombs. Most characters have a good footsie tool that will be able to whiff punish on reaction

EDIT - It seems like it'll be really useful vs floaty characters with their long-ass jumps, such as WoWo
Yeah but when you do it to interrupt their offense they won't be sitting down waiting to punish you. I'm pretty sure if you do it like that you will get away with it whiffing most of the time because they would have already pressed buttons.

gpmoney

CORN | gpmoney. Saltier than a bag of chips.
that's because you are using it offensively which doesn't work. I am talking about using it as a stay the fuck away from me move.
it worked for me when I was playing a friend. He did a string and jumped in and I got scatter bomb by accident and anti aired his batman but I think thats all I got. Never thought to use it as a keep away or get off me.

Braindead

it worked for me when I was playing a friend. He did a string and jumped in and I got scatter bomb by accident and anti aired his batman but I think thats all I got. Never thought to use it as a keep away or get off me.
yeah

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Can we delay the MB on this move? If so it'd be dirty for baiting dashes right outside of jump range , or baiting jumps of course.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Many times I use scatter bombs after I dash forward. If you can read your opponents tendencies, many times you will see an opponent jump at you if you dash forward. Batman players are notorious for this.

I even hit pig with it once. He did trait summons, jump Zod charge to cross me up. I did mb sb j3 wingding for like 35%. :)

Braindead

Can we delay the MB on this move? If so it'd be dirty for baiting dashes right outside of jump range , or baiting jumps of course.
we do have a nice window but I don't think it's long enough to bait dash ins unless they react super fast

Braindead

Many times I use scatter bombs after I dash forward. If you can read your opponents tendencies, many times you will see an opponent jump at you if you dash forward. Batman players are notorious for this.

I even hit pig with it once. He did trait summons, jump Zod charge to cross me up. I did mb sb j3 wingding for like 35%. :)
This is what am taking about. I was about to tag you ask you what you think.

macro

Eezeepeezee
Yes you read that correctly: SCATTERBOMBS.

Ok so I have been using this move recently and I think there might be an actual use for it. @AssassiN created a thread about using it in pressure (after standing 3) but I wan't to talk about using it defensively.

If you are in Escrima and someone is rushing you down and they are in that max jump distance, it seems we can actually use this move to halt their pressure.

If you guys listened to KTP, in the episode where @AK SaltFace was the guest they were discussing how this distance (max jump distance / just outside jump distance) is really weird in Injustice, if the attacker wants to continue the pressure they would jump in or dash in, both of them are not safe but the safe option is walking forward which is slow and might disrupt the momentum. SaltFace said that when ppl are in that distance he often does up gunshot in advance because he people they normally tend to jump in, and the up gunshot quite often works and catches people. I think we can do the same with Scatterbombs.

Scatterbombs will catch dash ins and jump ins and knock the opponent down.

The startup of the move sucks I know but if you do it when the opponent is standing in that max jump distance just when you see them move and they try to jump in it will actually work as a great anti-air move.

At that distance what are our other defensive options? Backdashes and jump-back + wingdings, right? I think Scatterbombs at that point might actually be more useful than jump back + wingdings.

If the opponent doesn't jump/move and you actually do Scatterbombs you will relatively be safe because of the distance. SB have 27 frames of recovery and in that distance its really hard to punish it with most characters, but some characters can, like GL (B1) or KF (slide), etc. So in many MUs you can use this at that distance and not worry, and if it whiffs you can MB it and be completely safe (don't abuse that obviously because you are wasting a bar).

Well that's it. I am not saying we should abuse Scatterbombs but I think we should integrate it in our defense since NWs never use it. I have been trying it recently and I am having success with it, especially in certain MUs like Black Adam, at that distance BA's main options are B2 and jump-ins, and Scatterbombs counter those options quite effectively.

What do you guys think? Do you already use Scatterbombs? Discuss.
Man i'm like the main scatterbomb guy, i feel that the move on hit puts you in a great spot to stuff wake ups.
Also after a Ji3 by the corner you can do f213xxSB ji3 WDs and it does 43% And if you go for a setup
let say with 113 you'll still get around 40%. And a strategy that i use sometimes now is the mind games
of scatterbombs with B2. Now let's say your doing your corner pressure and you want to go for a
B2 bomb setup (@HeroesNZ that setup is god like) you can start doing scatterbomb so it makes your
opponent not want to block high so her/she doesn't have to take the +7, so i do think Scatterbombs can
be great in fast corner pressure. Man you can even start dashing
then doing scatterbomb becase the B2 mind games and if they try to jump we have the anti-air part of it.
And btw i do feel that this was a great thread to make because the Nightwing forums have been slow
as of late and i have been wanting to talk about something bigger for Nightwing so great stuff @Braindead .

Braindead

Man i'm like the main scatterbomb guy, i feel that the move on hit puts you in a great spot to stuff wake ups.
Also after a Ji3 by the corner you can do f213xxSB ji3 WDs and it does 43% And if you go for a setup
let say with 113 you'll still get around 40%. And a strategy that i use sometimes now is the mind games
of scatterbombs with B2. Now let's say your doing your corner pressure and you want to go for a
B2 bomb setup (@HeroesNZ that setup is god like) you can start doing scatterbomb so it makes your
opponent not want to block high so her/she doesn't have to take the +7, so i do think Scatterbombs can
be great in fast corner pressure. Man you can even start dashing
then doing scatterbomb becase the B2 mind games and if they try to jump we have the anti-air part of it.
And btw i do feel that this was a great thread to make because the Nightwing forums have been slow
as of late and i have been wanting to talk about something bigger for Nightwing so great stuff @Braindead .
You should be worried when you use Scatterbombs as a pressure tool. If you do B2 xx Scatterbombs they can stand block B2 then crouch and the SB will whiff and you get punished easily. The best way to use SB in pressure is Standing 3 xx SB, which @AssassiN talked about thoroughly in his thread here http://testyourmight.com/threads/scatterbombs-discussion-breakdown-tech.41240/

However in this thread I am talking about using Scatterbombs defensively, not as a pressure tool.

E

Eldriken

Scatterbombs has a MB version? :O

Just shows how much that shit gets used in matches.

Braindead

Scatterbombs has a MB version? :O

Just shows how much that shit gets used in matches.
Lol yeah that move is so useless in attacking/pressure that the only time you see us doing it is if we meant instant-air wingdings and Scatterbombs comes out instead by mistake.

But I have found recently that it could be used defensively, hence this thread.

macro

Eezeepeezee
You should be worried when you use Scatterbombs as a pressure tool. If you do B2 xx Scatterbombs they can stand block B2 then crouch and the SB will whiff and you get punished easily. The best way to use SB in pressure is Standing 3 xx SB, which @AssassiN talked about thoroughly in his thread here http://testyourmight.com/threads/scatterbombs-discussion-breakdown-tech.41240/

However in this thread I am talking about using Scatterbombs defensively, not as a pressure tool.
Ya i just thought i would be nice to put down plus i was talking about a b2 or a raw scatterbomb becasue like you said it's to risky to xx into it.

AK Gookus

Slant-eyed Nightwing
Hey Braindead...what was this thread for again? Offensive scatterbomb usage? Word.

But yeah, I used to mix this up with ground spark when I'd build meter waiting for them to move in. Zone em and cancel the spark charges as they move in, when they're near the sweet spot, start doing delayed scatterbombs (kinda like a legit AA, if you do it right away, it'd whiff) or charge backdash into b2 to punish their jump in attempt.

Tryna fix my e-tokki usb plug still, haven't played in soooooo long