What's new

Strategy Scatterbombs discussion(breakdown + tech)

AssassiN

Noob
This thread will be used to breakdown, discuss and showcase tech so that hopefully we can come up with a viable use. As of right now, it's only used as an AA based on a read. The sucky thing about them as an AA is that you have to be on point with them or you'll get punished. Even if you hit them with Scatterbombs, getting a combo out of it is not in our favor. The MB part can whiff, so you cannot rely on that.
So when you are throwing them out, you're willing to bet it all for measly 8%.

Scatterbombs are shown as "mid" in training even though they are a true high, meaning that it will whiff on anyone crouching. There are no exceptions. While Scatterbombs MB will chip characters with big crouching hitboxes(Lex, ...). If characters with medium(Superman, ...) to big crouching hitboxes block the first Scatterbomb, then Scatterbombs MB will chip them as well. Regardless of the fact they changed their blocking stance to crouching when blocking the first Scatterbomb.

Then you have Catwoman. Catwoman does not give a flying fuck about Dick's Scatterbombs. She is just enjoying the fireworks:

Varying block advantage Scatterbombs MB(Tech)

The frame data on Scatterbombs MB isn't entirely correct. In fact it depends on what character you face.
I think the block advantage on Scatterbombs MB varies between +23 and +27(give or take a few frames).
For example in the following vid, you'll see against Flash that I'm stuffing his reversal Flying Uppercut with 1 and D1(barely). While against Sinestro he can't even reversal my 1, while my D1 is easily stuffing his reversal. It does not matter if he's standing or crouching, the result remains the same.

The same applies for Bane and Lex, haven't tested out any other characters except Doomsday.

Attempt at Scatterbomb/Flipkick mix-up
I was experimenting with something where as Scatterbombs and Flipkick would be a mix-up.
The number one rule against Escrima is to block high, because people are scared of his B2. What I had come up with was using 3~Scatterbombs. Because the opponent blocks high for B2, he'll block 3 standing. Also 3 keeps the opponent close, there is no pushback. There is a framegap between 3~Scatterbombs and you'd think that the opponent can just change to crouch to let it whiff. However that does not seem to be the case. They will still block the Scatterbombs, which leaves NW at +7. And thanks to 3, NW would be so close to the opponent that he can use F213 and D1 for more pressure.

To let Scatterbombs whiff and punish it, they would have to push buttons(D1, D2, anything that would lower their hitbox). They can also escape it by backdashing, but I don't think anyone(maybe a few) could punish it. In other words they have to commit and this would open them up for Flipkick MB for a full combo punish.

As showcased above, Catwoman would not give a fuck about this mix-up. And we can add another one to the list: Grundy. For some reason Grundy has no issue crouching the Scatterbomb. It seems like his hitbox is lowered instantly, while others have some sort of delay.

Then you have characters like Aquaman and Shazam that have a D2 that is good enough to counter both options. And characters like Raven with a D1 that counters both options as well. Sinestro has got no options to counter both, he has to respect it.

Other strings that keep the opponent close are: B1(-6), F213 and 33(more pushback: F213 will whiff). Can't use multi-hitting strings because they can just crouch in the middle of the string. F2(-1) will also work but it will slowly push the opponent away and F21 will whiff.

Even if you get them to block the scatterbomb, the opponent has 3 options:
- Block
- Poke(F213 or D12 will punish)
- Backdash(B2 will punish)

So you can't really keep using 3 to continue pressure because they can get out with poke or backdash. So you can only do it the once and follow it up with B2, D1 or F213.

@Sajam, @NightwingDayZero @Qwark28 @TakeAChance @prycemonsta @macro @gpmoney @RM Chongo @HeroesNZ @Dirtylova @TheBoyBlunder @Braindead @AK L0rdoftheFLY @Jeremy KO @Dja_Homies @BigMilk @AK Gookus @XxM3LLOxX @ICED_MOON22

Thoughts? Any tech of your own?

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
If I'm fighting a joker/arrow/ds/lex with a j3 and I'm confident they will start the match off with it, scatter bomb beats it.

Also after I train the opponent to not touch buttons after they block a d12 I'll do d12 mb scatter bombs sometimes.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
seems useful in some situations. definitely a way to add pressure to escrima. I will tinker more w it when im home.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Doesn't 3 xx Scatterbomb have a gap? Can't they d1 before the Scatterbomb comes out?
EDIT: I see you mentioned this already, which I read already but seems like my short-term memory isn't working today.

Last edited:

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
Doesn't 3 xx Scatterbomb have a gap? Can't they d1 before the Scatterbomb comes out?
EDIT: I see you mentioned this already, which I read already but seems like my short-term memory isn't working today.
I think so, but regardless, that only makes it a risk if ur opponents not trained. Nightwing thrives off pressure and catchin his opponent of guard. For example, setting up a psuedo f213 vortex. Either u will flip kick staff spin or ground pound. Ground pound is interruptable, but the other 2 options aren't. Therefore u train your w the first 2 options and later down the road try new things.

Braindead

I think so, but regardless, that only makes it a risk if ur opponents not trained. Nightwing thrives off pressure and catchin his opponent of guard. For example, setting up a psuedo f213 vortex. Either u will flip kick staff spin or ground pound. Ground pound is interruptable, but the other 2 options aren't. Therefore u train your w the first 2 options and later down the road try new things.
Yeah Assassin already mentioned that they can d1 but then you can start doing FK instead of bombs. This is a good tech for pressure I tried doing it once but with B2 instead of standing 3 and noticed that they can duck after B2 and the bombs will whiff so I stopped trying it.
Man Nightwing has so much stuff and none of it is like 100% reliable or abusable. You have to have everything in your mind ready and keep mixing up stuff it's so exhausting.
But then again, the character is basically 2 characters in 1 so that's what you would expect.

Braindead

BTW can we just appreciate the fact that @Qwark28 is tagged in all the tech threads in all the forums? It doesn't matter if he mains the character or not, he'll be tagged!

I have a lot of setups with scatterbombs I'll try to showcase I consider it as a mind game tool especially with flip kick crossups its a 50/50 front or back you still get solid damage either way and I use 3 3 3 as a mix up for it to for my opponent to stand block

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Hi guys I just pick up night wing. I tend to use 33 MB scatter bombs into f3 into more mix ups. I'm not sure if there's a gap. But I like f3 better because it has a lit of range and grants more pressure

Dirtylova

YOLO FLYING GRAYSON BICH
Not gonna lie, i have almost no use for SB unless its vs hg, or a random "surprise, Scatter bombs bitch".. But, this looks very interesting, definitely something im gonna play around with in training. One thing I can respect, is a nw who has a lot of options at his disposal, and USES them, and knows when to use them. Good stuff man.

Braindead

Hi guys I just pick up night wing. I tend to use 33 MB scatter bombs into f3 into more mix ups. I'm not sure if there's a gap. But I like f3 better because it has a lit of range and grants more pressure
33 and F213 strings have the best cancel advantage out of all NW's Escrima strings, but as Assassin said canceling standing 3 doesn't give the opponent a chance to crouch before the Scatterbombs. I don't know if that's also the case with 33 xx Scatterbombs.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
If scatterbomb is +27, and Sinestro can't even go against your standing 1, couldn't you find a string that lets you chain it?
I see a lot of potential if you have some kind of OH ender into it that would allow you to keep going.
The only problem I see is pushblock, but even still...
Does he have any low attacks?

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
If scatterbomb is +27, and Sinestro can't even go against your standing 1, couldn't you find a string that lets you chain it?
I see a lot of potential if you have some kind of OH ender into it that would allow you to keep going.
Sweep and Ground Spark only in escrima.

Staff has 1f1 and ground pound for lows.

Braindead

The problem bawkz is that it's supposed to be a mid but it whiffs on all crouching characters. Like if you try to do B2 xx bombs (B2 is overhead) they can block the b2 standing then crouch and the bombs will whiff.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Sweep and Ground Spark only in escrima.

Staff has 1f1 and ground pound for lows.
I wonder. Do you guys have any stance-cancel blockstrings? Like a high-advantage string that leads to escrima and then the +27 into staff again?

GuamoKun

I wonder. Do you guys have any stance-cancel blockstrings? Like a high-advantage string that leads to escrima and then the +27 into staff again?
usually stuff like 33 in escrima into stance switch into mb staff spin.

You can only cancel into specials after a stance switch so thats why we tend to go into mb staff spin but sometimes after a hit confirm you can do cancels into mb ground blast.

Scatterbombs would be so good....if they just had a better hitbox I guess ;_;

HeroesNZ

Baconlord's Billionaire Sugar Daddy
So you mean Staff - Escrima - Staff? If so I guess you may be able to do 1f1 xx MB Flipkick to 112 into 3 xx Scatterbomb into F213 xx 4 xx MB Ground pound...Would look sexy but not how practical it would be

Last edited:

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
usually stuff like 33 in escrima into stance switch into mb staff spin.

You can only cancel into specials after a stance switch so thats why we tend to go into mb staff spin but sometimes after a hit confirm you can do cancels into mb ground blast.

Scatterbombs would be so good....if they just had a better hitbox I guess ;_;
Well if you can only cancel into specials, don't you guys have some beefy overhead +frames? Cancel that into scatterbomb.
Like it won't be an infinite, but the chip would be insane.

AssassiN

Noob
If the blocking system was more similar to MK9, where you would be stuck in the same stance throughout the entire blockstring.
He would have Skarlet-like mix-up without the cost of meter and safe overhead.

GuamoKun

Well if you can only cancel into specials, don't you guys have some beefy overhead +frames? Cancel that into scatterbomb.
Like it won't be an infinite, but the chip would be insane.
after mb staff spin or mb ground pound, youre kinda pushed too far to follow up with anything outside of stand 1, jump1, ground pound, but cancelling into stance switch creates a large gap. It could be good after establishing the layer of yomi

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
after mb staff spin or mb ground pound, youre kinda pushed too far to follow up with anything outside of stand 1, jump1, ground pound, but cancelling into stance switch creates a large gap. It could be good after establishing the layer of yomi
Hm...
Lemme do some work...