What's new

Rumor: M11K to change combo system.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Well it's Shujinkydink and he says it's someone close-ish to the development team therefore he can't share their name... but I can't say that I believe this. Dialing and set combos have been apart of NRS games forever, not only MK, but even the Injustice series is doing it. I don't see them switching to try to rip off Street Fighter. The only thing I would say that gives this a little credibility is that the leaked description from GameStop Italy mentioned how the game was going to be focused towards eSports, but you can make an eSports-ready game without it being SF so I doubt that's what it was hinting at.

Maybe it's just not how it sounds, and really it's just that there will be links as well as set kombos. Maybe we will be getting reduced set kombos but more of a freeform combo system like SF links and/or KI auto combos. I don't know, but I just don't think it's going to be entirely like SF assuming this is true.

EDIT: By the way when I mentioned how it's Shujinkydink and whatnot I wasn't bashing him, I actually meant that in a positive way. I just now realized that the way I worded it may sound wrong. Basically I don't think he would lie but I don't think I can believe the info he has.

Last edited:

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
There is no way this is true. I mean I suppose anything is possible but MK has always had combo strings, and NRS continued it through Injustice as well. Changing the Kombo system would fundamentally change what it is to be a Mortal Kombat game. Fundamentally change what a NRS game is. It is simply unbelievable to me that they would dump decades of refinement and player feed back as well as literally generations of player continuity across releases by changing the very core of what a NRS game is.

I'm calling this ... I think it is bullshit.

Now... if they were releasing a NEW game. As in not MK or Injustice.. then sure. This could 100% be a thing, but changing the inner core of MK... this is crazy talk.

NSR

Also known as Futuretime23
Well it's Shujinkydink and he says it's someone close-ish to the development team therefore he can't share their name... but I can't say that I believe this. Dialing and set combos have been apart of NRS games forever, not only MK, but even the Injustice series is doing it. I don't see them switching to try to rip off Street Fighter. The only thing I would say that gives this a little credibility is that the leaked description from GameStop Italy mentioned how the game was going to be focused towards eSports, but you can make an eSports-ready game without it being SF so I doubt that's what it was hinting at.

Maybe it's just not how it sounds, and really it's just that there will be links as well as set kombos. Maybe we will be getting reduced set kombos but more of a freeform combo system like SF links and/or KI auto combos. I don't know, but I just don't think it's going to be entirely like SF assuming this is true.
The Esports focus that the GS leak mentioned was in regards to the online component of the game. not the entirety of the game itself, just an FYI.

UGL Preon

The Casual God
The only reason why I'd say that I don't believe it is the following

If they were going to abandon their trade mark input system all together. Why on earth would they go back into the old bag of tricks for "Weapon Based Combat" from the 3D Era of Kombat. Like why go so far to implement this old idea and then get rid of your staple input system. Now maybe they mean it'll be string based but in a different way to get rid of the big input bug or improve input reading as a whole.

Cannot say I'd be disappointed if NRS evolved their stilted combo system beyond the air-juggle-centric, canned dial-a-combo staple they've gone with since c.MK3.

It's felt increasingly incongruous to produce games with superlative, realistic presentation, but stymied by robotic attack systems, as the games have gotten progressively more mature visually and narrative-wise. Indeed, I think the oft-heard complaint about "Mortal Kombat's animations" has a lot to do with how the combo systems have worked. In the very least, the latter does not help hide the 'stiff' animations (compared to some counterpart games) that some gamers find disconcerting.

So, seeing as they're using UE. there is a better than a snowflake's chance in Netherrealm that NRS might freshen up the game's mechanics. However, given the leaks so far have made little allusion to thus happening -- rather, hinting more at Injustice styled "supers" and SFV style ("crush counter") "krushing blows", than anything relating to the core mechanics of the game changing (something they would surely trumpet from the highest hilltop, were it a reality) -- I'm not expecting it to happen.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Cannot say I'd be disappointed if NRS evolved their stilted combo system beyond the air-juggle-centric, canned dial-a-combo staple they've gone with since c.MK3.

It's felt increasingly incongruous to produce games with superlative, realistic presentation, but stymied by robotic attack systems, as the games have gotten progressively more mature visually and narrative-wise. Indeed, I think the oft-heard complaint about "Mortal Kombat's animations" has a lot to do with how the combo systems have worked. In the very least, the latter does not help hide the 'stiff' animations (compared to some counterpart games) that some gamers find disconcerting.

So, seeing as they're using UE. there is a better than a snowflake's chance in Netherrealm that NRS might freshen up the game's mechanics. However, given the leaks so far have made little allusion to thus happening -- rather, hinting more at Injustice styled "supers" and SFV style ("crush counter") "krushing blows", than anything relating to the core mechanics of the game changing (something they would surely trumpet from the highest hilltop, were it a reality) -- I'm not expecting it to happen.
This, if they are gonna change it it’s more about animations then anything else.

SaSSolino

Soul Stealing Loyalist
Blatant clickbait nonsense. The fact that over half-way in and he hasn't even mentioned anything about the ALL CAPS SUPER IMPORTANT INFO in the title should tell you it's nonsense. Shukinkydink doesn't know anyone working on the game who would give him info
Dink is getting pretty heavy on the click-bait, and it's kind of driving me away. A shame since I otherwise like the guy.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
Dink is getting pretty heavy on the click-bait, and it's kind of driving me away. A shame since I otherwise like the guy.
Yeah, I used to really like his videos. Hadn't seen any in a while, but while watching this I was thinking "geez, he's turned into one of those clickbait youtubers", such a shame

iamShorteh

"Vengeance will be mine!"
Fingers crossed that this rumor is just that, a "friend of friend of friend" thing.
It would change the MK scene a lot if it were to hold true.
If people wanted to play Street Fighter mechanics, they would go play Street Fighter and not Mortal Kombat.

mdsfx

Noob
In my opinion the combos in MK have gotten ridiculous. I didn't mind the UMK3 short dial-in combos, but it's gone too far now. I'm all for going back to MK's roots. There's a reason MK2 is still considered one of the best, if not the best, Mortal Kombat game from a gameplay perspective.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Yeah, I used to really like his videos. Hadn't seen any in a while, but while watching this I was thinking "geez, he's turned into one of those clickbait youtubers", such a shame
It's too bad, but unfortunately I think it's what Youtube and their monetization policy forces people to do. I don't like it, but I can't really blame the youtubers for doing what they can. Nature of the beast and all that.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
There's a reason MK2 is still considered one of the best, if not the best, Mortal Kombat game from a gameplay perspective.
I've actually never heard that. Actually more of the opposite, that MK wasn't that great gameplay wise, at least competitively, until MK9.

SneakyTortoise

Official Master of Salt
It's too bad, but unfortunately I think it's what Youtube and their monetization policy forces people to do. I don't like it, but I can't really blame the youtubers for doing what they can. Nature of the beast and all that.
I disagree slightly, that it forces people to make shitty clickbait. I do think quality content creators (K&M for example), will still get plenty of views due to their great content.

It does provide an easy route though for those who want to take the lazy option.

And I don't blame them and wouldn't harass them because of it, it's just a shame when you see creators you used to like go down that route