What's new

Roughly how many outfits per character?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
In Injustice, getting gear was randomised. The whole loot-box system and gaining whatever gear from winning matches were all RNG based.

MK11 has none of that. With the Krypt, as in past games, certain pieces of gear are at set locations in specified chests. For example, say Kotal has a 4th skin. That skin can ALWAYS be found at chest 4K. And to open the chest, you need 1084 gold koins. So what you do is you play the game, collect the koin, and then go to the Krypt and unlock that chest to get the skin.

Nothing is randomised. The more of the Krypt you unlock, the more gear, skins etc. you'll gather. But if you know where a certain piece is hidden, you have a much clearer and a more tangible goal to go for, instead of having to repeat doing the same over and over and over again with only a very small percentile chance of the specific gear you want will eventually drop.
I was mistaken, found more info on how to unlock skins/costumes:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Idk how many they are gonna have, but you can get 7 extra skins (no idea for which characters) for getting the premium edition of the game. There will also probably be some you can unlock in the krypt and some for beating character towers (like in mkx).

I'm really hoping they add more and more skins throughout the life of the game though as customization in games is one of my favorite things to do.

Sometimes I'll start a new game of something just to create a new character or new look.

LawAbidingCitizen

Idk how many they are gonna have, but you can get 7 extra skins (no idea for which characters) for getting the premium edition of the game. There will also probably be some you can unlock in the krypt and some for beating character towers (like in mkx).

I'm really hoping they add more and more skins throughout the life of the game though as customization in games is one of my favorite things to do.

Sometimes I'll start a new game of something just to create a new character or new look.
I'm wondering if there will be an option to upgrade to premium upon release. I purchased just the pre-order with Shao Khan but didn't get Premium. Unfortunately I only had 80 left in my account at the time. So I'm not wanting to buy another copy just to get premium, do you think they will include Kombat Pack Pass or something along those lines on the 23rd or before first DLC?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I'm wondering if there will be an option to upgrade to premium upon release. I purchased just the pre-order with Shao Khan but didn't get Premium. Unfortunately I only had 80 left in my account at the time. So I'm not wanting to buy another copy just to get premium, do you think they will include Kombat Pack Pass or something along those lines on the 23rd or before first DLC?
You get the skins with the kombat pass I believe. So basically if you intend on getting the pass for the dlc characters or anything like that, you'll get the 7 skins with that.

LawAbidingCitizen

You get the skins with the kombat pass I believe. So basically if you intend on getting the pass for the dlc characters or anything like that, you'll get the 7 skins with that.
That is awesome. Yeah I'm getting DLC no matter what for labbing matchups. I hope we get that Russian Scarlet and Pirate Kano somehow. Excited to see other specialty skins.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Russian here
Don’t care about Scarlett’s skin at all. My top 3 skins right now:
1- Liu Kang old school skin. Fuck, I’ve been waiting for it for years. MK9 skin was close but the model was meh.
2- Scorpion MK2 skin. God, when I saw it in the announcement trailer, I was so hyped. Looks sick af.
3- Sub-Zero’s MK11 skin. No matter what others think, this skin is the definition of Sub-Zero aka the Chinese Warrior. The only meh moment is his lin kuei logo on his arms. The mask, the uniform itself are amazing.

Krankk

Smoke & Noob & Rain
Remember, the original Noob Saibot leak showed he had 60 skins, 4 highlight intros and 4 victory poses, and we've already seen characters getting close to the 4/4 intros and poses, which lends credence to the 60 as well. It seems like we really might be looking at a rough ballpark of 60 recolors per character, which -- if there are 4 recolors per set -- would mean 12 skins per character.
It said 50, but not that it matters, because that's a problem with pre-release leaks:

What might very well have been a placeholder, you and others view as set in stone. Now you expect to see 60 skins in the game. And if you don't, you might feel disappointed: "But.. but.. NRS said..!"

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
What might very well have been a placeholder, you and others view as set in stone.
Hmm. If I were viewing it as set in stone, would I have said "we really might be looking at a rough ballpark"?

Careful with the assumptions. But thanks for fact checking the 60>50.

Lisbeth

Kitana stole my sai
I'm probably alone on this but none of the outfits so far clicked for me, there's something missing, they're all super safe and kinda boring tbh, some characters look like NPCs. Sonya is probably the only character done right costume-wise, because they are all unique and makes sense for her. A military one, a classic-ish and a casual one.
I'm still willing to give NRS the benefit of the doubt because in the beta all skins are labeled as ''Mortal'', so they are the common ones, I think one of Sonya's is called Eldergod or something like that, so they are separated by rarity... The rarer the better right? At least I hope so.

Lun

proud TERF!

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
It said 50, but not that it matters, because that's a problem with pre-release leaks:

What might very well have been a placeholder, you and others view as set in stone. Now you expect to see 60 skins in the game. And if you don't, you might feel disappointed: "But.. but.. NRS said..!"
Was it really 50 skins or 50 customization items?

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
There are definitely going to be numerous skins which will only be unlocked via online challenges, mobile version grinding and the like.

I also doubt that most characters will have more than 3 skins. The most popular ones will definitely get 5-6 skins, but the less popular ones will stick at 3.

I hope I'm wrong. I SO don't want to go through what I went through in MKX to unlock the skins.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
Was it really 50 skins or 50 customization items?
Yo, thanks for asking, because it turns out both me AND Krankk were wrong. Sorry about that.

31 masks, 50 sickles, 50 shadows, 6 skins,4 intros, 4 victories, 5 taunts, 10 brutalities, 2 fatalities. Kano's has 6 as well.

Which is obviously wrong because we've seen 12 skins for every character so far. Unless it means "6 completely different skins" and comes from before they started adding recolors to their internal builds.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Yo, thanks for asking, because it turns out both me AND Krankk were wrong. Sorry about that.

31 masks, 50 sickles, 50 shadows, 6 skins,4 intros, 4 victories, 5 taunts, 10 brutalities, 2 fatalities. Kano's has 6 as well.

Which is obviously wrong because we've seen 12 skins for every character so far. Unless it means "6 completely different skins" and comes from before they started adding recolors to their internal builds.
I do think it would make sense if it means 6 different skins, the greyed out slots we saw in the beta made it seem like there was room for at least 2 other different skins with recolors.

LawAbidingCitizen

I think it means 6 unique costumes. I'm the beta there where multiples of the same skin with different color palettes. For example we seen different hoods and masks on the true Skins and with the link I provided above it shows how we will unlock through: Towers of Time, Character Towers, Classic Towers, The Krypt and Story mode. I also believe there will be skins of different rarities. The ones we seen on beta where the basic skins and I'm betting there are some very different Rare skins to be unlocked. 50 different shadows/masks is a very good sign we have depth in that area and can truly make our characters potray us as individuals.