What's new

Roughly how many outfits per character?

Lun

proud TERF!
Anyone has an estimate of how many different outfits we'll get per character? Do we get three outfits unlocked from the start (each for a variation)?

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
We start at 3, but there will be more coming. Either to unlock in game or as DLC. How many in total for which characters is unknown at this point.

PoloExpress

The Luckiest Unlucky player you'll ever meet.
I see it being more like two outfits at the start with the others being tied to klassic towers (like mkx), krypt, or story mode.

Plus some of the alternatives we’ve seen in Kombat kasts look like they spoil some plot lines in the story mode (Like Jacqui’s 3rd one where she looks like an ally to Kronika). I’d assume one’s like that are definitely going to be unlockable instead of being available at the start

Lun

proud TERF!
It's just that everytime NetherRealms Software releases a new game, I'm worried it'll be the game where they stop giving us unlockable outfits and will microtransaction us like Crapcom.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
That has me hoping outfits will be unlockable in the krypt.
That's certainly the case. Or if not in the krypt then in towers. Or more likely both.

Remember, the original Noob Saibot leak showed he had 60 skins, 4 highlight intros and 4 victory poses, and we've already seen characters getting close to the 4/4 intros and poses, which lends credence to the 60 as well. It seems like we really might be looking at a rough ballpark of 60 recolors per character, which -- if there are 4 recolors per set -- would mean 12 skins per character. But of course it's also very very possible that there are more recolors than just the 4 we've been seeing. Maybe it's 10 skins with 6 recolors. Or 6 skins with 10.

Either way, a veritable cornucopia of unlockable goodies.

Lun

proud TERF!
That's certainly the case. Or if not in the krypt then in towers. Or more likely both.

Remember, the original Noob Saibot leak showed he had 60 skins, 4 highlight intros and 4 victory poses, and we've already seen characters getting close to the 4/4 intros and poses, which lends credence to the 60 as well. It seems like we really might be looking at a rough ballpark of 60 recolors per character, which -- if there are 4 recolors per set -- would mean 12 skins per character. But of course it's also very very possible that there are more recolors than just the 4 we've been seeing. Maybe it's 10 skins with 6 recolors. Or 6 skins with 10.

Either way, a veritable cornucopia of unlockable goodies.

Nice maths you did there! Oh, as long as there's at least 5-6 free skins per character, I'm good!

PoloExpress

Maybe it's 10 skins with 6 recolors. Or 6 skins with 10.
I think it’s most likely to be 6 skins with 10 recolors. Idk, just having 6 different skins per character is already a lot. Imagining more is like a dream come true

You know what, that might explain what some characters have skins that don’t look a whole lot different than their default (Jacqui and Cassie wearing jackets over their combat gear)

Last edited:

pure.Wasted

I think it’s most likely to be 6 skins with 10 recolors. Idk, just having 6 different skins per character is already a lot. Imagining more is like a dream come true
Generally, I agree.

But given how similar some of the skin sets are to each other, and the fact that hairstyle/facial hair are not independently customizable for almost all characters, I also wouldn't really be surprised if it was higher than 6. Most of the "above 6" would just mix n match existing assets so it would be easy for NRS to pad the numbers that way. Like for example, take punk rocker Kano, take off his shirt, remove the facial hair, and presto new skin without really any effort.

Reactions: Lun

PoloExpress

Generally, I agree.

But given how similar some of the skin sets are to each other, and the fact that hairstyle/facial hair are not independently customizable for almost all characters, I also wouldn't really be surprised if it was higher than 6. Most of the "above 6" would just mix n match existing assets so it would be easy for NRS to pad the numbers that way. Like for example, take punk rocker Kano, take off his shirt, remove the facial hair, and presto new skin without really any effort.
almost like when we'd mix and match gear pieces to our liking in injustice 2

pure.Wasted

almost like when we'd mix and match gear pieces to our liking in injustice 2
Yup! I can see why NRS would prefer to have more control over the customization though, as it allows them to make some very different skins without worrying that players will make their characters look like assclowns by mixing the parts in ways that we're obviously not intended.

Win-win. I kinda love it.

Demon_0

RIP Akira Toriyama
I wonder this myself. It's pretty much confirmed that every character has three at least. I don't count the rest because they are basically pallet swaps. Sure hoping for more skins, though.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I think we'll unlock one from completing the tower and one from the story for each character and maybe another one in the Krypt, but I am basing this on nothing but my own wishful thinking.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
We start at 3, but there will be more coming. Either to unlock in game or as DLC. How many in total for which characters is unknown at this point.
Didn't they say all that would be available from launch with more to come? I was imagining 25 different skins in groups of 5.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Didn't they say all that would be available from launch with more to come?
That's what I said though. XD
From what I understand, there's 3 available skins for each character from the very beginning, while more skins, gear and such will be unlockable, most likely from the Krypt. But there will ALSO be DLC coming. But we don't know how many skins and such each character will get.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
That's what I said though. XD
From what I understand, there's 3 available skins for each character from the very beginning, while more skins, gear and such will be unlockable, most likely from the Krypt. But there will ALSO be DLC coming. But we don't know how many skins and such each character will get.
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought NRS said we won't be unlocking costumes like Injustice they said there was skins that noone unlocked on Injustice 2 because the requirements where to strict and they wanted everyone to have access to customize thier characters.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I thought NRS said we won't be unlocking costumes like Injustice they said there was skins that noone unlocked on Injustice 2 because the requirements where to strict and they wanted everyone to have access to customize thier characters.
In Injustice, getting gear was randomised. The whole loot-box system and gaining whatever gear from winning matches were all RNG based.

MK11 has none of that. With the Krypt, as in past games, certain pieces of gear are at set locations in specified chests. For example, say Kotal has a 4th skin. That skin can ALWAYS be found at chest 4K. And to open the chest, you need 1084 gold koins. So what you do is you play the game, collect the koin, and then go to the Krypt and unlock that chest to get the skin.

Nothing is randomised. The more of the Krypt you unlock, the more gear, skins etc. you'll gather. But if you know where a certain piece is hidden, you have a much clearer and a more tangible goal to go for, instead of having to repeat doing the same over and over and over again with only a very small percentile chance of the specific gear you want will eventually drop.

Pizza

Thrill Kill
MK11 has none of that. With the Krypt, as in past games, certain pieces of gear are at set locations in specified chests. For example, say Kotal has a 4th skin. That skin can ALWAYS be found at chest 4K. And to open the chest, you need 1084 gold koins. So what you do is you play the game, collect the koin, and then go to the Krypt and unlock that chest to get the skin.

Nothing is randomised. The more of the Krypt you unlock, the more gear, skins etc. you'll gather. But if you know where a certain piece is hidden, you have a much clearer and a more tangible goal to go for, instead of having to repeat doing the same over and over and over again with only a very small percentile chance of the specific gear you want will eventually drop.
I love this. And I hope this Krypt is entirely like this.

I hate the shrine slot machine from MKX Krypt. It feels so out of place.