What's new

Rose Tinted glasses Time... injustice II Edition.

DeftMonk

Noob
That game was pretty damn fun. I spent the entirety of the game playing Joker and Grodd (ok also flash) and thus when people try to tell me in mk11 "my char sucks omg the balance!" I just giggle. TYM people could be playing pong and would come up with some shit like p1 advantage and tier list.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I loved Doomsday. And I love Shao Kahn. I got my meterless +6, now I'm hoping they buff him to Doomsday level of dumb low/overhead safe special and I'm set:DOGE

IDYLEHANDZ

Slave to burgers
i havent had fun playing mk11... I deeply miss brainiac, Joker, Bane ect ect.... maybe its time to reinstall

thlityoursloat

kick kick
string string string special b3, j3 string string ender

I think I summed up 90% of Injustice 2's combos
How about bounce cancels? Forward and back? What about the fact that there were generally more setplay options? When was the last time you genuinely thought about your ender in MK11?
Even the most basic characters in I2 like Soupamen have more combo variety than most MK11 characters.

portent

Noob
string string string special b3, j3 string string ender

I think I summed up 90% of Injustice 2's combos
I mean, you could say a lot of the same things about MK11. I LOVE MK11, but lets be honest, you can learn most MK11 characters and be relatively proficient with them in about 15-30 minutes. That's not all that far off from INJ2 either. The combo paths and game style are very different, however that's what makes them both fun to play. Hell, I still enjoy MKXL because it's so different from both MK11 and INJ2.

For the first time ever, we have 3 unique games with different play styles. It almost feels like the old days of 3rd Strike, Marvel and whatever new/relevant Street Fighter is currently out.

portent

Noob
Why the hell do you "miss" the game?!

The game is still out there and perfectly playable... just play it?!
Not gonna lie, this made me laugh because it's so true. I still play it, and there's still matches online. Granted, you may have to go non-competitive with gear and request a competitive match, but still, Injustice 2 is still alive online.

That said, I actually popped in MK9 on PS3 recently and believe it or not, one of the rooms had like 45 people online playing, LOL.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
This is true but that doesn't make it a bad game. 50% of mk11's combos are string special string special 35% are just string special. Do not dispute these numbers I have been farming data from every console.
Except remove all the room for creativity and you've got MK11 combos. Look no further than the mind-numbingly boring version of Liu Kang in MK11 compared to his MKX version.

There's NOTHING more hype than a MK11 midscreen Liu Kang combo! Short string into DOUBLE AMPLIFIED BICYCLE KICKS!!!!

portent

Noob
Except remove all the room for creativity and you've got MK11 combos. Look no further than the mind-numbingly boring version of Liu Kang in MK11 compared to his MKX version.

There's NOTHING more hype than a MK11 midscreen Liu Kang combo! Short string into DOUBLE AMPLIFIED BICYCLE KICKS!!!!
I mean, it's clear that they were going for more of an MK2 feel with MK11 over MKXL's UMK3 feel. I get it. I liked MK2 and UMK3, much the same way I like MKXL and MK11. They're different games, and I expect different things from them. If I want hype, long combos and flip-floppy 50/50 gameplay, I have MKXL. If I want shorter combos and a game that's more directed at slower pace and space control, I have MK11. If I want something entirely different, I have Injustice 2. It's honestly win/win/win for me.

I do miss this game.
My main problem with it is that matchups are very sharp around the edges. A losing matchup is a losing matchup, it's a struggle.
With Barfire I was literally incapable of beating Black Adam or Supergirl, no matter who played them. No matter how much I labbed it.
After watching Hayatei play Robin I truly believe that If you work on the MU there isn't any MU that's unwinnable in inj2 unless your opponent is a lot more skilled than you.

Having to crouch walk for entire matches with 1 hit meaning getting knocked back to do it all over again will never be hype or fun to me. Could the zoning be beat? Sure. But if matches just feel like a chore, there’s no real incentive to “push passed” it. Not to mention other stupid things like ambiguous j2 bats. In short, it does require rose color glasses to pretend like IJ2 didn’t deserve to die off. Blame NRS’s design choices not the community.
The thing about injustice 2 IMO for better or worse was that you needed to understand the game to have fun with it. There were mechanics to deal with everything but until you understood how to use stuff like mb roll(which is half screen) and abuse the range of the normals having fun vs zoner was hard. But once you do dealing with zoning isn't a chore anymore it's just a longer range mind game between your opponent and you projectile, mb roll, jump and your own way to anti zone(every character had a tool.).

I truly think injustice 2 biggest weakness and the reason why it was badly received by the community was because of that barrier to starting to have fun. I don't think it deserved to be shit talked like it did but what happened happened nothing you can do

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
I enjoyed the game upon release. I had to stop playing around the time Starfire came out due to my life getting really busy at the time. I never got back into the game i remember this site mentioning it was dead, and 0 people playing it at my locals.

Did the game ever get any meta changing updates? I remember from the early tournaments there was a lot of hype around what results pros could produce with Blue Beetle, Bane, Black Canary, Robin etc. From before MK11 released the last grapevine discussions I heard for it were just about zone wars with Dr. Fate and Starfire.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
From before MK11 released the last grapevine discussions I heard for it were just about zone wars with Dr. Fate and Starfire.
From a competitive standpoint there was a fair amount of variety. Fate and Starfire were certainly in the mix, but there were plenty of other characters being used. Honeybee was doing great stuff with Flash, Biohazard won a grand finals using Cheetah, Sonic Fox won IPS Season 2 with Joker. Firestorm and Blue Beetle were placing high. Catwoman, Brainiac, Superman, Supergirl, Black Adam, Harley Quinn, and Batman were all showing up in top 16 or top 8 depending on who was playing them.

Zoning was always a fairly strong strategy to play around, but it seemed like quite a few characters were capable of doing it.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
After watching Hayatei play Robin I truly believe that If you work on the MU there isn't any MU that's unwinnable in inj2 unless your opponent is a lot more skilled than you.
No doubt there is a skill level at which matchups are secondary to your individual skill, but let's be honest, there are maybe 28 people in the world at that level.

I enjoyed the game upon release. I had to stop playing around the time Starfire came out due to my life getting really busy at the time. I never got back into the game i remember this site mentioning it was dead, and 0 people playing it at my locals.

Did the game ever get any meta changing updates? I remember from the early tournaments there was a lot of hype around what results pros could produce with Blue Beetle, Bane, Black Canary, Robin etc. From before MK11 released the last grapevine discussions I heard for it were just about zone wars with Dr. Fate and Starfire.
The game had different meta at different level of play and as people leveled up with their character and understood the game mechanics more zoning became less OP and more of just a good tool.

No doubt there is a skill level at which matchups are secondary to your individual skill, but let's be honest, there are maybe 28 people in the world at that level.
True enough but I think that If it's attainable it's what we should all strive for and the effort put make the result feel even better

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
True enough but I think that If it's attainable it's what we should all strive for and the effort put make the result feel even better
Someone with a couple hours to play every week can strive all they like, tbh. I have no delusions.
For the mere mortal, Injustice 2's matchups are quite a doozy.
I don't think there's a character in that game that doesn't have a matchup or two where they struggle.
Starfire only has 2 losing matchups, that being Adam and Supergirl, but incidently it's the two most played characters online, too.
Which makes me not want to reinstall.

I'd rather play 15 Scorpions in a row with Jade or 15 Cetrions as Jax, or 15 Gerases as Kabal, still.