What's new

Rose Tinted glasses Time... injustice II Edition.

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I feel like if people would have pushed past the initial freak out over zoning there was actually a lot of fun to be had in that game.
Maybe if the devs didn't release it with said initial zoning. They should just do this from now on, release a game with weak zoning and little to weak 50/50 and then gradually buff these aspects of the game instead doing it viceversa.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I feel like if people would have pushed past the initial freak out over zoning there was actually a lot of fun to be had in that game.
I would like to think you're correct. But as it was, it got swallowed up by all the zoning. If I think Injustice 2, the first thoughts are of batarangs and green Starfire blasts and Red Hood mines and red cats from Hell.

I ended up really not liking the game much, aside from Gorilla Grodd.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I ended up really not liking the game much, aside from Gorilla Grodd.
I feel/felt bad for Grodd players, because he seemed like a lower tier character in general, and unfortunately he also seemed to have one of the harder times dealing with zoning, so I can see why Grodd players would have a much less enjoyable time with the game, just in general.

At the very least though, it seemed like Grodd had some cool stuff he could do, if he could actually get in and get his game going. A lot of characters felt that way to me. I'd love to see what some type of Sandbox version of Injustice 2 would play out like if they took the game in it's current state but heavily cut down the zoning. Not that I mind zoning, I'd just be curious to see what it'd be like.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I feel/felt bad for Grodd players, because he seemed like a lower tier character in general, and unfortunately he also seemed to have one of the harder times dealing with zoning, so I can see why Grodd players would have a much less enjoyable time with the game, just in general.

At the very least though, it seemed like Grodd had some cool stuff he could do, if he could actually get in and get his game going. A lot of characters felt that way to me. I'd love to see what some type of Sandbox version of Injustice 2 would play out like if they took the game in it's current state but heavily cut down the zoning. Not that I mind zoning, I'd just be curious to see what it'd be like.
Now you're talking! That seems like a fantastic idea, lol.

Yeah, Grodd did have issues. But man, those leap combos into splats into resets into psychic stuff was so much fun! I actually felt like a giant ape fighting, which I give NRS and the character design team all kinds of credit for. But, what can ya do? I just enjoyed playing offline mostly. Who did you play in that game?

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Who did you play in that game?
I started with Cyborg. I just really enjoyed his fundamental zoning game. I also gave Black Canary a try, she just felt fun to play as for me. And I was in the process of trying to learn some Cheetah, that burst damage was pretty sick.

Honestly almost all the characters seemed interesting to me in some way or fashion. I really hope NRS does an Injustice 3, I love the franchise.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I didnt mind the zoning (but I am a cyborg main), what I hated was the lunging moves from grodd, cheetah and hellboy. They just annoy me.

gitblame

Noob
I probably will repeat myself, but I am really salty NRS dropped this game like a burnt cigarette. MKX got huge patch, that shook meta, addressed plenty of really annoying things and put many characters on the map. INJ2 hadn't received half of that support.

I loved watching Inj2 at highest level. Characters (maybe to be precise some characters), allowed more to express the player. You could easily tell apart Honeybee's Flash and HappyPow's Flash. Yeah, zoning was bad, but at the same time I always admired how best players could go past around zoning and make really bad matchup work. To this day my favorite set was probably Hayatei vs Fox at IPS finals 2. Cold matchup was really bad for Robin, but Hayatei played that almost flawlessly and was really close to winning whole set. I regret we couldn't see more development, because I truly believe game was underdiscovered. If we - like whole community - liked the game more, played it more many characters that were thought were bad - like Joker, Cannary - would be today considered one of the best.

I was salty about zoning like every other Inj2 hater. I played Green Lantern and I always felt like I am crippled against characters who could zone me - first Deadshot for couple of first months (RIP), then Fate and Starfire. But from perspective, I think it was me who really sucked, not my character against zoners.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I am 100% ready for the part of the game cycle where the previous title gets its Renaissance. I was depressed as FUCK the whole time it was out, so I played like trash. I'm ready for Round 2.
Gimme dat Brainiac <3
Also Manta, and Hood, and Lantern as well.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I probably will repeat myself, but I am really salty NRS dropped this game like a burnt cigarette. MKX got huge patch, that shook meta, addressed plenty of really annoying things and put many characters on the map. INJ2 hadn't received half of that support.

I loved watching Inj2 at highest level. Characters (maybe to be precise some characters), allowed more to express the player. You could easily tell apart Honeybee's Flash and HappyPow's Flash. Yeah, zoning was bad, but at the same time I always admired how best players could go past around zoning and make really bad matchup work. To this day my favorite set was probably Hayatei vs Fox at IPS finals 2. Cold matchup was really bad for Robin, but Hayatei played that almost flawlessly and was really close to winning whole set. I regret we couldn't see more development, because I truly believe game was underdiscovered. If we - like whole community - liked the game more, played it more many characters that were thought were bad - like Joker, Cannary - would be today considered one of the best.

I was salty about zoning like every other Inj2 hater. I played Green Lantern and I always felt like I am crippled against characters who could zone me - first Deadshot for couple of first months (RIP), then Fate and Starfire. But from perspective, I think it was me who really sucked, not my character against zoners.
I2 has twice the depth MK11 has. Resource management was so important because there were so many ways to spend it. Remember MB rolls? Up and away breakaways? Clashes? The wakeup system was also far less degenerate and actually made you consider blocking on knockdown instead of oonga boonga jump roll u3 u2 liu kang 12.
Yeah, zoning was a bit obnoxious, this is coming from a Bane main, but character archetypes were definitely more fleshed out there. A rushdown character truly felt like a rushdown character. Bane and Canary had to work against your zoning, but once they get in they properly get to shine. Meanwhile I don't even know who are the true zoners or rushdown characters in MK11, all the top tiers essentially do the same thing.

Last edited:

haketh

Noob

I firmly believe their was some dumb licensing shit that happened that caused it to not get one more real big patch.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I always felt a huge disconnect, because I'd have fun playing the game, and I'd watch a tournament and feel like there were a ton of hype matches in top 8, but then I'd go on TYM and it seemed like the majority of the comments were "too much zoning" "Game isn't hype" "Game is dead" "No depth".

I'm having fun with MK11, but I might go back to Injustice 2 soon. The gore of MK11 is just a turnoff sometimes. I just don't see myself playing MK11 for the long term, especially since I'm going to be a dad in Feb.

haketh

Noob
I always felt a huge disconnect, because I'd have fun playing the game, and I'd watch a tournament and feel like there were a ton of hype matches in top 8, but then I'd go on TYM and it seemed like the majority of the comments were "too much zoning" "Game isn't hype" "Game is dead" "No depth".

I'm having fun with MK11, but I might go back to Injustice 2 soon. The gore of MK11 is just a turnoff sometimes. I just don't see myself playing MK11 for the long term, especially since I'm going to be a dad in Feb.
For real, I'd even talk to people who don't typically play NRS Games & they thought the game was pretty cool.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I started with Cyborg. I just really enjoyed his fundamental zoning game. I also gave Black Canary a try, she just felt fun to play as for me. And I was in the process of trying to learn some Cheetah, that burst damage was pretty sick.

Honestly almost all the characters seemed interesting to me in some way or fashion. I really hope NRS does an Injustice 3, I love the franchise.
Got ya! Well, I certainly hope you get Injustice 3 and I hope it's amazing and you love it.

I do miss Injustice 2, was always bummed/frustrated when the playerbase dropped off. I miss my Redhood set ups plus zoning. Hell I miss my lex luther set ups. Altho for the record I remember feeling a lil restricted with Redhood as far as set ups go (mainly mid screen), compared to Injustice 1. I might eventually pick up terminator's set up variation but I hate guest characters and have zero interest in the aesthetic of terminator, just keep wishing he was Cyrax.

Most of all tho I miss not having variations and having fully fleshed out characters that didn't feel slow.

Also, who's ever idea it was to tone down combo's in mk11 should've been shot. Like that was such a bad call. Not trying to say they make a game deeper or involve more skill or anything like that, just that combo's in NRS games have always been so much FUN to do! And I'd much rather watch a swaggy bnb than a cut scene krushing blow any day

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I do miss this game.
My main problem with it is that matchups are very sharp around the edges. A losing matchup is a losing matchup, it's a struggle.
With Barfire I was literally incapable of beating Black Adam or Supergirl, no matter who played them. No matter how much I labbed it.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I'd do anything to instead have IJ2 Scarecrow in MK11 over Joker. I never cared much for IJ2, but holy FUCK was Scarecrow my cup of tea. He's one of my top 3 favorite fighting game characters of all time.

SOULWARRIOR 71K

XBL: SOULWARRIOR 71K PSN: SOULWARRIOR71K
Having to crouch walk for entire matches with 1 hit meaning getting knocked back to do it all over again will never be hype or fun to me. Could the zoning be beat? Sure. But if matches just feel like a chore, there’s no real incentive to “push passed” it. Not to mention other stupid things like ambiguous j2 bats. In short, it does require rose color glasses to pretend like IJ2 didn’t deserve to die off. Blame NRS’s design choices not the community.